Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-08, 02:16 PM   #1
Cheeto
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Bikes: Trek 3900
Posts: 1,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Single Speed mountian bikers are insane...

lol!
Well I dropped my chain yesterday and it bent a link. No one could spare a power link, so I chopped the chain and put it back on... I couldnt shift above 4th gear, Because I was worried about my RD stretching way out.
in 3rd-2nd gear the chain got so tight it wouldn't shift at all I had to move it manually.
So I rode the whole trail in my 5th gear in the back and my 2nd ring up front
(dont know the exact tooth numbers, but its an 8 speed bike) and holy crap... it was a challenge going up them hills. But I never once stopped or walked! I still ran a 31.4 minute lap, which is considered fast, my normal times range between 27-30 mins.
But I'm conviced that single speeders must be
A: Mentally Insane
B: Freaking Ripped as heck
C: Both.
Cheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 02:22 PM   #2
C Law
Too Much Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Bikes: A bunch
Posts: 3,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
why not just drop the chain to the small ring up front?
C Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 02:29 PM   #3
lofnsjoke
SPOON!!!!!
 
lofnsjoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 35.43 119.05
Bikes:
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Law View Post
why not just drop the chain to the small ring up front?
because he removed it...cause granny gears suck
lofnsjoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 02:34 PM   #4
somegeek
Harumph
 
somegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Single speed riders are mad men.
somegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 02:36 PM   #5
C Law
Too Much Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Bikes: A bunch
Posts: 3,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofnsjoke View Post
because he removed it...cause granny gears suck
OK. gotcha.

granny gears suck but singlespeeding is crazy
C Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 02:39 PM   #6
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer
 
rydaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: A dozen or so.
Posts: 2,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... and single speeders are insane because Cheeto says so.
rydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 02:43 PM   #7
Hot Rod Lincoln
"I'm the Man in Black"
 
Hot Rod Lincoln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gardendale, AL
Bikes: IndyFab 29er SS, Surly CrossCheck, Titus Moto-lite, Specialized Enduro
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydaddy View Post
... and single speeders are insane because Cheeto says so.
I ride a 29er SS and weigh 270lbs...I am not ripped, just crazy
Hot Rod Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 02:44 PM   #8
kenhill3
use your best eye
 
kenhill3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Olympia, Washington
Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somegeek View Post
Single speed riders are mad men.
Plenty of gals out there riding SS MTB.
__________________
"I tell you, We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut jr.
kenhill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 02:45 PM   #9
xcracer13
Nitro
 
xcracer13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: canyon lake, tx
Bikes: Salsa
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SS isn't crazy. It's pretty fun actually.
xcracer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 02:52 PM   #10
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer
 
rydaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: A dozen or so.
Posts: 2,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Lincoln View Post
I ride a 29er SS and weigh 270lbs...I am not ripped, just crazy
Rigid or hardtail?

Hardtail = crazy
Rigid = insane in the membrane

I am racing SS next season. 29er seems like the way to go for me. Hopefully the misses let's me get a new bike before then... or I'll have to convert my 26er hardtail. Call me insane, but 29er rigid seems like fun.
rydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 02:53 PM   #11
giant rules!!!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SS riding is a lot of fun. I train on one up saddleback mtn. Its 13 miles of climbing to the summit than I ride through the main divide which hurts...
giant rules!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 03:13 PM   #12
Hot Rod Lincoln
"I'm the Man in Black"
 
Hot Rod Lincoln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gardendale, AL
Bikes: IndyFab 29er SS, Surly CrossCheck, Titus Moto-lite, Specialized Enduro
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydaddy View Post
Rigid or hardtail?

Hardtail = crazy
Rigid = insane in the membrane

I am racing SS next season. 29er seems like the way to go for me. Hopefully the misses let's me get a new bike before then... or I'll have to convert my 26er hardtail. Call me insane, but 29er rigid seems like fun.
I am too heavy to do the rigid thing...I would kill a rigid fork. WB Magic 80 is on my front end....great fork and holds up to me very well
Hot Rod Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 03:48 PM   #13
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
 
scrublover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: East coast
Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser
Posts: 3,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pssst. secret: you likely had it in a much harder gear than most SSers run. *most* trail riding ssers run lower than a 2:1 ratio.

32 x 20 here. what i ran in colorado too, and i rode my ss there on nearly all the same trails as my other bikes. not as bad as you think. it's all about how you pedal, not how hard. conservation of energy and momentum is key. when to coast/rest, when to pedal, and picking good lines are pretty key.
scrublover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 03:49 PM   #14
Cheeto
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Bikes: Trek 3900
Posts: 1,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yea, I probably did have it in harder gear, a lot of SS riders here have the granny gear up front.
Cheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 04:12 PM   #15
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB
 
pinkrobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cowtown, AB
Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.
Posts: 4,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
pssst. secret: you likely had it in a much harder gear than most SSers run. *most* trail riding ssers run lower than a 2:1 ratio.

32 x 20 here. what i ran in colorado too, and i rode my ss there on nearly all the same trails as my other bikes. not as bad as you think. it's all about how you pedal, not how hard. conservation of energy and momentum is key. when to coast/rest, when to pedal, and picking good lines are pretty key.
True dat - 32x20 in these parts. My buddy rides 32x19, but he weighs less than I do. I find an aggressive rear tire works wonders as well - I have a 2.1 Velociraptor in back and a 2.3 Conti Vertical Pro in front. The bigger front tire takes the zing out of the rigid fork. I ran 1.95" F&R for one ride and couldn't do it a second time. Owwwww.
__________________
Proud Member of the HHCMF
'06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning
pinkrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 04:50 PM   #16
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
lol!
Well I dropped my chain yesterday and it bent a link. No one could spare a power link, so I chopped the chain and put it back on... I couldnt shift above 4th gear, Because I was worried about my RD stretching way out.
in 3rd-2nd gear the chain got so tight it wouldn't shift at all I had to move it manually.
So I rode the whole trail in my 5th gear in the back and my 2nd ring up front
(dont know the exact tooth numbers, but its an 8 speed bike) and holy crap... it was a challenge going up them hills. But I never once stopped or walked! I still ran a 31.4 minute lap, which is considered fast, my normal times range between 27-30 mins.
But I'm conviced that single speeders must be
A: Mentally Insane
B: Freaking Ripped as heck
C: Both.
how the hell do you have so many problems?? in the past, you could argue i never ride. not true this year. i raced all winter and spring and rode. you have had enough problems to last me a lifetime of racing!!



mx
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 05:29 PM   #17
Cheeto
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Bikes: Trek 3900
Posts: 1,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
because I dont have quality parts on my bike, and I'm not afraid to thrash and bash. I ride rough if I have to.
I never got my Jump guard from the LBS and my chain... jumped.
Cheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 05:41 PM   #18
somegeek
Harumph
 
somegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhill3 View Post
Plenty of gals out there riding SS MTB.
Thought the crazy was implied there.
somegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 06:02 PM   #19
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend
 
junkyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: American Gardens Building
Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix
Posts: 3,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Geared mountain bikers are insane. I know because I am one. And I am insane. I have a collection of baby doll heads in my kitchen sink to prove it. yaerhfevm.
junkyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 06:03 PM   #20
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, SS are intense, and they are my favorite for XCing, but riding a FS in the same ratio as a SS is somewhat different. First off, you have a lot of extra weight which normally isnt on a SS, and its also a firmer and more responsive pedal action.

Also a true SS is usually meant for pure XC which means it should have better geometry for climbing than even your XC FS which is meant to handle some type of downhills or at least a more laid back headtube to assist in root riding.

Last edited by elf 232; 07-31-08 at 06:07 PM.
elf 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 06:10 PM   #21
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend
 
junkyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: American Gardens Building
Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix
Posts: 3,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Single speed lacrosse players are p*ssies.
junkyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 06:32 PM   #22
rankin116
Senior Member
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,011
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
^
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 08:08 PM   #23
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyard View Post
Single speed lacrosse players are p*ssies.
Do you know one? I said SS on XC was my favorite, I have borrowed one on a few rides from a friend, I dont actually even own a SS.
elf 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 08:21 PM   #24
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
 
scrublover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: East coast
Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser
Posts: 3,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf 232 View Post
Yes, SS are intense, and they are my favorite for XCing, but riding a FS in the same ratio as a SS is somewhat different. First off, you have a lot of extra weight which normally isnt on a SS, and its also a firmer and more responsive pedal action.

Also a true SS is usually meant for pure XC which means it should have better geometry for climbing than even your XC FS which is meant to handle some type of downhills or at least a more laid back headtube to assist in root riding.


Yep. Your SS bike will explode if you take it down too steep of a slope, or too large a jump or drop.


Here I am, courting disaster. This bike is only slightly less slack geometry than my other bikes, but still waaaaay slacker than the stereotypical XC bike geometry.

So, all of this just begs the question: what is a "true" singlespeed?
scrublover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 08:25 PM   #25
Elisdad
Bike rider
 
Elisdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SW Chicago suburbs
Bikes: Redline D460, Redline Monocog Flight 29er, IRO Rob Roy, Specialized P1
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Singlespeedin' rocks. I'm not faster than most folks, but I seem to smile more.





Here's an action shot.



Also, I don't think that I'm insane.

Last edited by Elisdad; 07-31-08 at 08:29 PM.
Elisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:15 PM.