Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Senior Member trek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Novi, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Michelin or Maxxis?

    I am looing to buy the best possible XC all terrain tube type tire, I ride in mainly 75% dry conditions but there are those 25% after rain days and "ponds" that seem to never dry up. I like to go pretty fast and need great cornering, climbing and low resistance which the two brands claim they have. I am considering either Michelin XC All Terrain (26 X 2.0) or Maxxis (Monorail, Advantage, Ardent 26 X 2.1) but am not sure which to buy? BTW, I have used Bontrager and Continental Explorers which all have been really great but I think I can match or better that with Michelin or Maxxis.
    Fuel EX8(05') 2100 ZR(06') 7.5 FX(06')=Best $ I ever spent =~)
    Mavic-Time-Sidi-PI-Primal-Giro-CamelBak-Bike Eye-Bell-Bandana-Park-eGel-PBJ's

    The bitter taste of poor quality far out lasts the sweet taste of a low price.

  2. #2
    '05 NUEser EJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought Maxxis' XC tires to be superb. Ah...those crossmarks. Love 'em.

  3. #3
    Senior Member trek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Novi, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ123 View Post
    I've thought Maxxis' XC tires to be superb. Ah...those crossmarks. Love 'em.
    http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/CrossMark.aspx

    Best for hardpack trails with some sand,rock,roots with good cornering? Over the other Maxxis models?

    Michelin anyone?
    Fuel EX8(05') 2100 ZR(06') 7.5 FX(06')=Best $ I ever spent =~)
    Mavic-Time-Sidi-PI-Primal-Giro-CamelBak-Bike Eye-Bell-Bandana-Park-eGel-PBJ's

    The bitter taste of poor quality far out lasts the sweet taste of a low price.

  4. #4
    Senior Member trek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Novi, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have suggestions using Michelin or Maxxis on the trails? Either one better all around?
    Fuel EX8(05') 2100 ZR(06') 7.5 FX(06')=Best $ I ever spent =~)
    Mavic-Time-Sidi-PI-Primal-Giro-CamelBak-Bike Eye-Bell-Bandana-Park-eGel-PBJ's

    The bitter taste of poor quality far out lasts the sweet taste of a low price.

  5. #5
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    18,704
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get the maxxis advantages in the 2.1.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  6. #6
    Writin' stuff ZeCanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    3,779
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was going to be my recommendation. The Advantage is a great tire, and seems to work really well just about anywhere.
    The ardent is nice as well, built a little tougher than the advantage (which is often used/marketed as an xc race tire). I know people who race with an ardent on the front, so they are plenty fast as well.
    Velo Magazine/VeloNews.com tech guy — get in touch or hit me on the tweeter @CaleyFretz

  7. #7
    Senior Member trek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Novi, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maxxis Advantage sounds like a winner but I can't believe nobody rides Michelin. Anyone know where to get Maxxis Advantage for the lowest price?
    Fuel EX8(05') 2100 ZR(06') 7.5 FX(06')=Best $ I ever spent =~)
    Mavic-Time-Sidi-PI-Primal-Giro-CamelBak-Bike Eye-Bell-Bandana-Park-eGel-PBJ's

    The bitter taste of poor quality far out lasts the sweet taste of a low price.

  8. #8
    "I'm the Man in Black" Hot Rod Lincoln's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gardendale, AL
    My Bikes
    IndyFab 29er SS, Surly CrossCheck, Titus Moto-lite, Specialized Enduro
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trek1 View Post
    Maxxis Advantage sounds like a winner but I can't believe nobody rides Michelin. Anyone know where to get Maxxis Advantage for the lowest price?
    You are missing out on the best possible if those are the only brands that you are considering. Take a look at Schwalbe.......pricy but great.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
    Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

    Put your flame suits on

    http://greatlordhumongous.blogspot.com/

  9. #9
    26r grudgemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    merica
    My Bikes
    road, hardtail, fs, streetbeater
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crossmarks kick butt if you want speed. Traction is respectable. You can also consider the Crossmark's little sister, the Small Block Eight.

  10. #10
    use your best eye kenhill3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    My Bikes
    '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Posts
    3,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished three days of riding on the Michelin XCR All Conditions and all I can say is that they seem sketchy, low on the confidence-inspiring scale. Hooked up good on the climbs, but cornering was iffy.Conditions were dry, loose, dusty, not too rocky. Tried at 40psi, then at about 28psi, not much difference. The tread is quite rounded and they rolled well, not much resistance. I used these last winter in the wet and mud, pretty much a similar experience if I recall. To sum it up - not impressed. They did work well on the pavement at 50psi.

    I've used much better tires. My old favorite Velociraptors have always been the bomb in the Pacific Northwet, decent in the dry. Last fall in the desert southwest, Moab, etc. I used some WTB Epicwolfs and they rocked. Wanting now to try the Nevegals and see if they are as good as claimed in the desert/dry/ Moab, etc..
    Last edited by kenhill3; 08-05-08 at 12:35 PM.
    "I tell you, We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut jr.

  11. #11
    Senior Member trek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Novi, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rod Lincoln View Post
    You are missing out on the best possible if those are the only brands that you are considering. Take a look at Schwalbe.......pricy but great.
    Interesting but just never heard of them till now.....I will research some more.

    Quote Originally Posted by grudgemonkey View Post
    Crossmarks kick butt if you want speed. Traction is respectable. You can also consider the Crossmark's little sister, the Small Block Eight.
    I am tempted but need to make sure the cornering will be as good as the Advantage or better.

    Quote Originally Posted by kenhill3 View Post
    I just finished three days of riding on the Michelin XCR All Conditions and all I can say is that they seem sketchy, low on the confidence-inspiring scale. Hooked up good on the climbs, but cornering was iffy.Conditions were dry, loose, dusty, not too rocky. Tried at 40psi, then at about 28psi, not much difference. The tread is quite rounded and they rolled well, not much resistance. I used these last winter in the wet and mud, pretty much a similar experience if I recall. To sum it up - not impressed. They did work well on the pavement at 50psi.

    I've used much better tires. My old favorite Velociraptors have always been the bomb in the Pacific Northwet, decent in the dry. Last fall in the desert southwest, Moab, etc. I used some WTB Epicwolfs and they rocked. Wanting now to try the Nevegals and see if they are as good as claimed in the desert/dry/ Moab, etc..
    I will have to take your word on the Michelin but they looked promising before, I can't live with the sketchy confidence in the cornering, that is where time is made and lost.

    I am between Crossmark or Advantage with Maxxis
    Fuel EX8(05') 2100 ZR(06') 7.5 FX(06')=Best $ I ever spent =~)
    Mavic-Time-Sidi-PI-Primal-Giro-CamelBak-Bike Eye-Bell-Bandana-Park-eGel-PBJ's

    The bitter taste of poor quality far out lasts the sweet taste of a low price.

  12. #12
    use your best eye kenhill3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    My Bikes
    '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Posts
    3,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trek1 View Post
    I will have to take your word on the Michelin but they looked promising before, I can't live with the sketchy confidence in the cornering, that is where time is made and lost.
    Perhaps someone else also has experience with the Michelin, so don't take my word alone. This was just my own experience with the conditions as stated. I can say that I've read many positive reports on various Maxxis treads, no reports yea or nay on the Michelins.
    "I tell you, We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut jr.

  13. #13
    Senior Member trek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Novi, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenhill3 View Post
    I just finished three days of riding on the Michelin XCR All Conditions and all I can say is that they seem sketchy, low on the confidence-inspiring scale. Hooked up good on the climbs, but cornering was iffy.Conditions were dry, loose, dusty, not too rocky.
    I've used much better tires
    I will still rate it pretty high up there with your experience. I know Maxxis has been really the hot tire to get lately.
    I just don't know which one...the Advantage or the Crossmark for trails here in Michigan.
    Last edited by trek1; 08-05-08 at 07:32 PM.
    Fuel EX8(05') 2100 ZR(06') 7.5 FX(06')=Best $ I ever spent =~)
    Mavic-Time-Sidi-PI-Primal-Giro-CamelBak-Bike Eye-Bell-Bandana-Park-eGel-PBJ's

    The bitter taste of poor quality far out lasts the sweet taste of a low price.

  14. #14
    BAM! theextremist04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run an Ignitor in front and a Crossmark in the back- I've never had any noticeable loss of traction or steering around here. But then again, I never ride in the mud.

  15. #15
    Senior Member trek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Novi, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theextremist04 View Post
    I run an Ignitor in front and a Crossmark in the back- I've never had any noticeable loss of traction or steering around here. But then again, I never ride in the mud.
    I would probably run the same front and rear and the Crossmark is probably all I need. There are just the usual low area mud spots around here since I usually wait a day after a good rain myself. I did like these Conti Explorer but I think they wear down a little faster than I would like.
    Fuel EX8(05') 2100 ZR(06') 7.5 FX(06')=Best $ I ever spent =~)
    Mavic-Time-Sidi-PI-Primal-Giro-CamelBak-Bike Eye-Bell-Bandana-Park-eGel-PBJ's

    The bitter taste of poor quality far out lasts the sweet taste of a low price.

  16. #16
    unofficial roadie DirtPedalerB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out in the woods you see
    My Bikes
    2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike
    Posts
    1,444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd put a beefy tire on the front and a smaller one on the back, that's my preference. I'm currently using a hutchison python 2.0 on the back and it rolls and spins up easy. traction and cornering are a little lacking compared to the wider tire I took off, but you don't need alot of cornering traction on the back as I prefer to have it break loose well before the front.

    I wouldn't run a python on the front unless it's a 2.3.
    for the front that maxxis ardent looks good, haven't tried one though as I am stuck on the trailbear that is heavy, but corners great for me.
    I only pedal uphill.

  17. #17
    Nitro xcracer13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    canyon lake, tx
    My Bikes
    Salsa
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monorails are nice from Maxxis, Crossmarks are awesome once you get the pressure right.. Micheline all terrain tires aren't bad. I've heard good things about Continental Speed Kings...
    www.teamnrc.com
    When you feel good, racing is hard. When you're not good, its worse.. - Sager

  18. #18
    Senior Member trek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Novi, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xcracer13 View Post
    Monorails are nice from Maxxis, Crossmarks are awesome once you get the pressure right.. Micheline all terrain tires aren't bad. I've heard good things about Continental Speed Kings...
    Thanks for all the help BF but I may be getting the Conti Speed king after all, they are made using the Black Chili compound. I will report back here when I have some time on them.

    http://www.conti-online.com/generato...kchili_en.html
    Fuel EX8(05') 2100 ZR(06') 7.5 FX(06')=Best $ I ever spent =~)
    Mavic-Time-Sidi-PI-Primal-Giro-CamelBak-Bike Eye-Bell-Bandana-Park-eGel-PBJ's

    The bitter taste of poor quality far out lasts the sweet taste of a low price.

  19. #19
    rider of the east sherpaPeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    722
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want the best you got to include Schwalbe, continentals (different models), and Kenda in your list. good luck.
    "....You are never lost, if you dont care where you are...."

  20. #20
    Official Website Waterboy born2bahick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    3,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtPedalerB View Post
    I'd put a beefy tire on the front and a smaller one on the back, that's my preference. I'm currently using a hutchison python 2.0 on the back and it rolls and spins up easy. traction and cornering are a little lacking compared to the wider tire I took off, but you don't need alot of cornering traction on the back as I prefer to have it break loose well before the front.

    I wouldn't run a python on the front unless it's a 2.3.
    for the front that maxxis ardent looks good, haven't tried one though as I am stuck on the trailbear that is heavy, but corners great for me.
    That Python rolls up like a road slick. It's one of the best rolling tires I've ever ridden, If it wasn't for rainy muddy trails, It would probably be all the tire I would ever need.
    I've been running the old Fire XC's for years. I suppose I should step into the new millenium and try the Nev's that MBA raves about. I fear change!

  21. #21
    In search of moar cowbell dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by born2bahick View Post
    I suppose I should step into the new millenium and try the Nev's that MBA raves about . . .
    The current September issue of MBA had an extensive tire shootout and, yeah, I don't think there was a Kenda they did not lke. Then at the end of the section, there was a full-page Kenda ad - - hmmmmmmmm . . . . Now, normally, I'd be the first to admit I'm somewhat of an apologist for MBA; but that one had a bit of an odor even to me. Usually in publications, editorial makes an effort to not give an advertiser an adjacency like that just so things don't smack of partiality. Someone was asleep at the switch.

    On another note, the Maxxis Advantage made the top-ten as did the Syncros FLT 2.35. Now, which one to go on my new trailbike build?

  22. #22
    rider of the east sherpaPeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    722
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by born2bahick View Post
    That Python rolls up like a road slick. It's one of the best rolling tires I've ever ridden, If it wasn't for rainy muddy trails, It would probably be all the tire I would ever need.
    I've been running the old Fire XC's for years. I suppose I should step into the new millenium and try the Nev's that MBA raves about. I fear change!
    funny that you mentioned MBA. I was going to start a thread about their recent tire review. The have three different incarnation of Kenda Nevs listed in their top 10 tire list. ridiculous. and the kind of brief details they included in the review is absolute bull S.....

    I think they thought - how about doing a tire test....and the editor ran a spread sheet on the advertisement money from each tire maker, and Kenda came out on top....I think they got a lot of advertisement money from kenda recently....

    overall its a pathetic, baseless, and uninformative reporting on tires. Its amazing how they can fill up the pages of a Magazine with so much nonsense and so little useful information.

    I guess the C+ Journalism students need jobs too....
    "....You are never lost, if you dont care where you are...."

  23. #23
    Official Website Waterboy born2bahick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    3,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaPeak View Post
    overall its a pathetic, baseless, and uninformative reporting on tires. Its amazing how they can fill up the pages of a Magazine with so much nonsense and so little useful information. I guess the C+ Journalism students need jobs too....
    That's exactly how it came off to me too, I'm glad to hear others see it that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    On another note, the Maxxis Advantage made the top-ten as did the Syncros FLT 2.35. Now, which one to go on my new trailbike build?
    That's how to read between the lines! The Advantage is a little heavier than I like, but if the traction and cornering were better I would give it a try.

  24. #24
    Senior Member trek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Novi, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the consensus on the Continental's Speed King with Black Chili compound?
    Fuel EX8(05') 2100 ZR(06') 7.5 FX(06')=Best $ I ever spent =~)
    Mavic-Time-Sidi-PI-Primal-Giro-CamelBak-Bike Eye-Bell-Bandana-Park-eGel-PBJ's

    The bitter taste of poor quality far out lasts the sweet taste of a low price.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •