Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 121

Thread: My New Love

  1. #1
    Generic Title ProFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My New Love




    DHing. It. rocks. socks. Just got back from Snowshoe. I think I rode nearly every trail. A was great (and tough). H was awesome, especially when it turned into I (the wooden berms and jump at the end were great). I didn't expect there to be a DS course either. Luckily I brought my DJ bike and rode that. I started jumping the smaller doubles later on. I also did the wall ride, both by riding onto the wall and boosting to the top with the jump (ruined my pants....). Unfortunately, I ate in on a tabletop, so I decided to end my Dual Slalom adventures there.

    Anyway, we got rained out on the last day so we got back a bit early. I'll post pictures later.
    Generic Joke

  2. #2
    "I'm OK!" dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you enjoyed it. The most fun you can have without an engine is what I always say .

  3. #3
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProFail View Post
    I think I rode nearly every trail.
    Awesome! What were your impressions of Hareball and Lower Quickdraw?

    Quote Originally Posted by ProFail View Post
    A was great (and tough). H was awesome, especially when it turned into I (the wooden berms and jump at the end were great).
    I'm betting you didn't hit that jump.

  4. #4
    Fourth Degree Legend junkyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    American Gardens Building
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix
    Posts
    3,826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it. The most fun you can have without an engine is what I always say .
    I would classify sex as the most fun I've had without an engine. Of course, I never have been downhilling. Or maybe what you are saying is that I need to introduce some internal combustion to my excapades.
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    The caveat with a strap-on, of course, is you will have to get creative with a couple of lock cables and an anchor point

  5. #5
    "I'm OK!" dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junkyard View Post
    I would classify sex as the most fun I've had without an engine. Of course, I never have been downhilling. Or maybe what you are saying is that I need to introduce some internal combustion to my excapades.


    I misquoted myself (how does one do that?) - - I meant to say ". . . most fun on two wheels without an engine."

  6. #6
    Generic Title ProFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gastro View Post
    I'm betting you didn't hit that jump.
    I have a picture of it. Unfortunately, it's being developed (film camera). Should be done in 30 minutes, so I'll scan it and post it.


    EDIT- Also, not sure about Quickdraw and Hareball. If those are on the Western Territory, then I may not have ridden them since I spent most of my time on the other side.
    Last edited by ProFail; 08-11-08 at 11:48 AM.
    Generic Joke

  7. #7
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProFail View Post
    I have a picture of it. Unfortunately, it's being developed (film camera). Should be done in 30 minutes, so I'll scan it and post it.
    I'm looking forward to seeing all the pics and that one especially.

    Quote Originally Posted by ProFail View Post
    EDIT- Also, not sure about Quickdraw and Hareball. If those are on the Western Territory, then I may not have ridden them since I spent most of my time on the other side.
    Considering that an estimated 80% of the terrain is on the western side, I would say your "nearly every trail" claim is grossly exxagerated then.

    How were conditions? I'm heading up Friday.

  8. #8
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gastro View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing all the pics and that one especially.

    .......... I would say your "nearly every trail" claim is grossly exxagerated then.
    That would be on par with other ride reports he has posted.......
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  9. #9
    Generic Title ProFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gastro View Post
    How were conditions? I'm heading up Friday.
    Rainy. It rained. And thundered. The last day. It. Will. Be. Wet.

    I'm not kidding.


    Anyway, I'm getting confused. I spent most of my time on whichever side has the lift that runs all week. I spent a day on the other side that usually has a shuttle that runs. I ran most of the trails on both sides. I just don't know the names of the trails. Hell, I didn't know that the beginner trail was called "Alpine Run" or whatever until I had left. I may have very well ridden Hareball and Quickdraw. Besides, I said I THINK I rode most of the trails. I can't say for sure.

    "That would be on par with other ride reports he has posted......."

    You're funny. I've had one ride report that you would know anything about. You misinterpreted it anyway. All you guys ever do is crap on what I say and totally ruin it. I had a really good time, you guys could have just said "Awesome, glad you had a great time. You sure you rode all the trails though? There's a lot". Anyway, I'm really looking forward to posting the H jump now.
    Last edited by ProFail; 08-11-08 at 02:45 PM.
    Generic Joke

  10. #10
    Generic Title ProFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gastro View Post
    Considering that an estimated 80% of the terrain is on the western side....
    I heard that six fourths of all statistics are made up.
    Generic Joke

  11. #11
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProFail View Post

    "That would be on par with other ride reports he has posted......."

    You're funny. I've had one ride report that you would know anything about. You misinterpreted it anyway. All you guys ever do is crap on what I say and totally ruin it. I had a really good time, you guys could have just said "Awesome, glad you had a great time. You sure you rode all the trails though? There's a lot". Anyway, I'm really looking forward to posting the H jump now.
    Oh, I'm sorry. Hope you had fun. Waiting on pics.
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  12. #12
    Generic Title ProFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    H-Jump: The Epic Saga of Snowshoe

    Pictures from Snowshoe.... EDIT- OH SO WEAK DOUG. SO WEAK. That title was ice and you know it.

    WHAM.


    Wallride from the DS course.


    Forget which letter this one was....


    Those drops by the lift. I'm just a bonus.


    Sliiiiiide


    Berms


    Run-Up to the H-Jump


    Too fat to be a skinny; Boardwalk?


    Looks so nasty, tastes so good.
    Last edited by ProFail; 08-11-08 at 03:33 PM.
    Generic Joke

  13. #13
    "I'm OK!" dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProFail View Post
    Too fat to be a skinny; Boardwalk?
    Boulevard.

    Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Last edited by dminor; 08-11-08 at 03:42 PM.

  14. #14
    Generic Title ProFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Boulevard.
    Good enough.
    Generic Joke

  15. #15
    Senior Member rankin116's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Troylet
    Posts
    3,638
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics have a 1970s look to them. Looks like fun too, not too many other people there?

    What was the original title?

  16. #16
    Generic Title ProFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
    Pics have a 1970s look to them. Looks like fun too, not too many other people there?
    Yeah, we used a disposable camera since we forgot the digital. And there seemed to be about only around fifteen MTBers on the mountain at any given time.

    Original title was "H-Jump: The Epic Sage of SUCK IT GASTRO". He didn't believe I did the jump in the first photo.
    Generic Joke

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    southern oregon
    Posts
    2,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That jump is tiny. I was expecting something like the jump at the bottom of whistler.

  18. #18
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not the jump you're hitting in the first pic, that's the bailout line to flat.

    But I am glad you were able to totally shred such a gnarly mountain your first time DHing on a rental bike. Fred.

  19. #19
    Generic Title ProFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gastro View Post
    That's not the jump you're hitting in the first pic, that's the bailout line to flat.

    But I am glad you were able to totally shred such a gnarly mountain your first time DHing on a rental bike. Fred.
    Whatever helps you sleep at night. If it was a bail-out line, they wouldn't have built anything right there. A jump is a jump, just admit you were wrong. Besides, I never claimed I did the big jump.


    Fred? Are you a road nazi now? I never proclaimed myself as the end-all God of downhilling. I had a good time and I enjoyed myself. Anyone else would be happy that someone new had gotten into their sport. You? Eh, you just like to be a dick.

    "Rental bike"

    As if this somehow de-glorifies what I did? Grow up. So sorry I don't "shred" like you do or own a sweet DH bike. But honestly, I think I did pretty OK considering I've never ridden DH before in my life. I'm not blessed with mountains. 90% of my riding is on the road training for races. Eight percent is riding on barely-technical single-track, and the rest is the very occasional urban venture. I don't need your elitist piss all over my smallest accomplishments. 66 and Rankin may hold me in the same esteem as you, but at least they don't crap on me all the time and when they do, they're actually funny.

    EDIT- The ramp looks oddly small in the photo. It's bigger in real life, I'll search the web for a better picture.
    Last edited by ProFail; 08-11-08 at 05:07 PM.
    Generic Joke

  20. #20
    "I'm OK!" dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProFail View Post
    EDIT- The ramp looks oddly small in the photo. It's bigger in real life, I'll search the web for a better picture.
    They ALL look small in pics. Crack Addict at Whistler looks like a ride on a picnic table in pictures; then get on it . . . after a morning of rain . . . .

    EDIT - I did you one better on your thread, PF - - merged it here where it belongs.
    Last edited by dminor; 08-11-08 at 05:06 PM.

  21. #21
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProFail View Post
    Whatever helps you sleep at night. If it was a bail-out line, they wouldn't have built anything right there. A jump is a jump, just admit you were wrong. Besides, I never claimed I did the big jump.


    Fred? Are you a road nazi now? I never proclaimed myself as the end-all God of downhilling. I had a good time and I enjoyed myself. Anyone else would be happy that someone new had gotten into their sport. You? Eh, you just like to be a dick.

    "Rental bike"

    As if this somehow de-glorifies what I did? Grow up. So sorry I don't "shred" like you do or own a sweet DH bike. But honestly, I think I did pretty OK considering I've never ridden DH before in my life.


    EDIT- The ramp looks oddly small in the photo. It's bigger in real life, I'll search the web for a better picture.
    I will start giving you positive encouragement and feedback as soon as you exhibit the slightest bit of humility. It's kind of like when you listed your dad's bikes in your signature there for a while. And since you didn't specifically say you did, I guess I will just assume you didn't really ride the tall elevated feature on the runin to the racers edge jump, nor the upper part of A or B, nor the teeter, nor the rollercoaster feature, etc...

    Aint no future in frontin'.

  22. #22
    Nitro xcracer13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    canyon lake, tx
    My Bikes
    Salsa
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NIce 2009 Kona Stab. Looks like fun man.
    www.teamnrc.com
    When you feel good, racing is hard. When you're not good, its worse.. - Sager

  23. #23
    Generic Title ProFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gastro View Post
    I will start giving you positive encouragement and feedback as soon as you exhibit the slightest bit of humility. It's kind of like when you listed your dad's bikes in your signature there for a while. And since you didn't specifically say you did, I guess I will just assume you didn't really ride the tall elevated feature on the runin to the racers edge jump, nor the upper part of A or B, nor the teeter, nor the rollercoaster feature, etc...

    Aint no future in frontin'.
    My dad's bikes are my bikes and my bikes are my dad's. I posted them in my signature for that reason. He would do the reason. And that has nothing to do with humility. The bikes he rides often are more lamesauce IMO than than the ones I do. But honestly, I don't think modesty is my problem. Have you seen my member title?

    And since we call some things by different names, I can't say I rode everything you just said. But I am sure I rode upper A and B, and fairly sure I rode the teeter (isn't that on J?), and the rollercoaster (that thing with two rollercoastery parts and a go-around?). I don't know what the racer's edge jump is though. Picture? Anyway, as a correction the jump I posted is on I. It gets confusing since it is accessed through H.

    In any case, the bickering is getting annoying. I'll call a truce, but it's up to you if you want to accept it or not.
    Last edited by ProFail; 08-11-08 at 06:52 PM.
    Generic Joke

  24. #24
    Generic Title ProFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xcracer13 View Post
    NIce 2009 Kona Stab. Looks like fun man.
    Snowshoe's rental bikes are pretty sweet. I really liked the geometry of the Stab; if I were to buy a DH frame to build, that would be it. Only gripe was that the suspension was super hard. Even on big hits, the suspension would only compress about 3/5ths.
    Last edited by ProFail; 08-11-08 at 06:45 PM.
    Generic Joke

  25. #25
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProFail View Post
    Snowshoe's rental bikes are pretty sweet. I really liked the geometry of the Stab; if I were to buy a DH frame to build, that would be it. Only gripe was that the suspension was super hard. Even on big hits, the suspension would only compress about 3/5ths.
    What other DH rigs have you spent time on? If you're not using all of the travel then it's not set up right.

    Quote Originally Posted by ProFail View Post
    My dad's bikes are my bikes and my bikes are my dad's. I posted them in my signature for that reason............
    Is that because ol'Dad foots the bill for the bikes? The Girlscout's bikes are his, he pays for them and he rides them. Same for me.but I would like a pass on that new ride when he picks it up in a week or so.
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •