Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Southern Grrl globe9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    My Bikes
    Marin Hawk Hill, Trek 800
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My LBS is Full of It...What Should I Do?

    First off...went to LBS this past Sat. to check out bikes for the GF. I was checking out 2 bikes in there. A Giant Rincon and a Giant Canyon, both of which were selling for $499. I've since given up on the Canyon since it appears that the Giant Canyon should be a full suspension bike(this one WASN'T) and isn't even sold in the US(so why was it in my LBS for sale?). Don't know what's going on there with that bike, but I don't even wanna bother with it since no one can seem to tell me if it's a decent bike for $499.

    I like the Rincon, but it is listed for $499 as well. It had an alivio rear derailleur, while the Canyon had deore(also confused me since I was thinking the Canyon has better components for the same price as the Rincon). I checked Giant's site and see that their MSRP for the Rincon is $420, but also find that most people across the county are getting them cheaper than that as it's an 08 model and the 09's are in. What should I do? This is the only LBS in my city that sells Giant. Do I tell them I know what the MSRP is and it's $80 less than their asking? Do I offer them like $350 or $375 for the bike? Would this piss them off?

    The salesguy was full of it too b/c he was telling me and the GF that deore components are made for mtn. bikes since their more durable and alivio components are for road and hybrid bikes. I didn't tell him that I knew that Alivio is just a cheaper level of Shimano componetry b/c I wanted to see what else he was gonna make up thinking that we were stupid.

    I really hate to buy from this LBS, but I liked that Rincon and it's the only place to buy a Giant unless there is somewhere online that will ship.

    BTW, the Rincon is a decent bike right? Comparable to a Specialized Hardrock, Trek 3900, etc?

    Thanks for any help you guys can give me!!!
    --Marin Hawkhill

  2. #2
    Too Much Crazy
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NY
    My Bikes
    Ventana El Comandante, Lynskey ridgeline, EWR OWB, GF HKEK, Gunnar Roadie, Spesh E5 S Works, Quintana Roo Kilo, Intense BMX Cruiser
    Posts
    3,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    offer them what you want. If they get pissed off, whatever. It sounds like you know enough to shop around.

  3. #3
    sarcasm meter: jerk mode santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
    Posts
    4,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Often times the price listed is just the starting point. Walk to the sales guy and say something like, "Is that the best price for this bike?" Plenty of shops here have MSRP if not higher but they always lower their price if you ask them.
    First Class Jerk

  4. #4
    Southern Grrl globe9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    My Bikes
    Marin Hawk Hill, Trek 800
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C Law View Post
    offer them what you want. If they get pissed off, whatever. It sounds like you know enough to shop around.
    I do know enough, but the problem is that this is the only shop that carries the Giant brand in or near my city. If there was another place, I'd say screw these people, but I'm kinda stuck with them. I've test rode Trek's, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, Kona, GT's, and Giant. The Rincon is the bike that feels the best to me. This is the bike that I want, just not enough to pay over list for. Does any online places sell Giant and will ship? I'm gonna go over there this weekend if I can't find a Rincon anywhere else and offer them $399 for the bike. Is this a decent offer for an 08 Rincon?
    --Marin Hawkhill

  5. #5
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    2010 Jamis Parker, 2005 Jamis Komodo, 1998 Jamis Komodo, 198? Raleigh Pointe, 1978 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2
    Posts
    10,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ***NOT A JAB***NOT A JAB***NOT A JAB***NOT A JAB***NOT A JAB***NOT A JAB***NOT A JAB***

    I do find it humorous that the first thing noticed/mentioned by gobs of peeps...is the rear derailleur like that somehow defines the level of the bike.

    I've observed people saying that a bike is an "XT" level bike b/c it has an XT RD, LX or even STX FD and shifters, Deore or lower crankset.

    Anyone else notice that?

  6. #6
    Type 1 Racer rydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Davis, CA
    My Bikes
    A dozen or so.
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Anyone else notice that?
    Yep. Go to bikesdirect and see for yourself. "XTR Full-sus".... XTR rear der is about as far as it goes.

    I feel that the crank and shifters are more important (and more expensive) than the rear der. It's a gimmic and people fall for it everyday.

    To the OP. Offer them what you think is the right price. Tell them MSRP, $420, is as high as you'll go.

  7. #7
    Fourth Degree Legend junkyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    American Gardens Building
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix
    Posts
    3,826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
    I do know enough, but the problem is that this is the only shop that carries the Giant brand in or near my city. If there was another place, I'd say screw these people, but I'm kinda stuck with them. I've test rode Trek's, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, Kona, GT's, and Giant. The Rincon is the bike that feels the best to me. This is the bike that I want, just not enough to pay over list for. Does any online places sell Giant and will ship? I'm gonna go over there this weekend if I can't find a Rincon anywhere else and offer them $399 for the bike. Is this a decent offer for an 08 Rincon?
    Does your girlfriend feel the same way?
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    The caveat with a strap-on, of course, is you will have to get creative with a couple of lock cables and an anchor point

  8. #8
    26r grudgemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    merica
    My Bikes
    road, hardtail, fs, streetbeater
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by globe9 View Post

    Thanks for any help you guys can give me!!!
    Just buy a bike online with a similar frame size and be done with it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
    First off...went to LBS this past Sat. to check out bikes for the GF. I was checking out 2 bikes in there. A Giant Rincon and a Giant Canyon, both of which were selling for $499. I've since given up on the Canyon since it appears that the Giant Canyon should be a full suspension bike(this one WASN'T) and isn't even sold in the US(so why was it in my LBS for sale?). Don't know what's going on there with that bike, but I don't even wanna bother with it since no one can seem to tell me if it's a decent bike for $499.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA

    Yes he is full of it. That's WAY too expensive for a Rincon. I'd ask for 10% under MSRP and 25% if it's a 2008 as the 2009 bikes just came out. If you fit a Giant you should fit a Trek or a Specialized Hardrock just fine as they all have short top tubes. Unless you're willing to walk away from these guys, they will beat you.

    Oh yeah, and Alivio is an off-road component. Though in derailleurs, it probably doesn't matter. Shifting is where the real business happens and Deore derailleurs can be had VERY cheaply.
    Last edited by BearSquirrel; 08-13-08 at 04:58 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •