Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Upgrading my fork....good decision?

    hey all, I recently purchased a 2008 Hardrock Sport and I love it so far. However I do not like the fork, so I purchased a Rock shox tora 302 u-turn fork for it. Im waiting for it to arive so that I can take it to my lbs and get it installed. I wanted a fork that I can lock out and the stock fork could not. so did I make a decent decision on the fork? and what can I look forward to? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Generic Title ProFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GurrCentral View Post
    hey all, I recently purchased a 2008 Hardrock Sport and I love it so far. However I do not like the fork, so I purchased a Rock shox tora 302 u-turn fork for it. Im waiting for it to arive so that I can take it to my lbs and get it installed. I wanted a fork that I can lock out and the stock fork could not. so did I make a decent decision on the fork? and what can I look forward to? Thanks!
    Why would you ask this after you order the fork?

    The fork is okay.
    Generic Joke

  3. #3
    ****** (can I say this?)
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    1,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fork will be fine. The guy who I know that has one loves it. He's had no problems with it (but almost all reviews are so-so, but then again, the people on "that" site are not all that with it)
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”- Jeremy Clarkson

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, i'm askin about it after I bought it for a couple of reasons...1. I just found this forum....2 I can always send it back...... and 3...why would I not ask?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I like number 3. Shows style.
    Anyways, Rockshox makes some good stuff and the 302 is decent. It will go with your rig just fine.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much can i expect with the new fork upgrade?

  7. #7
    Generic Title ProFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GurrCentral View Post
    how much can i expect with the new fork upgrade?
    Mild improvement.
    Generic Joke

  8. #8
    Senior Member yellowjeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lawrence
    Posts
    3,267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GurrCentral View Post
    how much can i expect with the new fork upgrade?
    a slight dent in your wallet to the tune of around $225 give or take.
    a 33 second advantage over a 55km TT.
    When in doubt, style it out.

    How to post full size pictures

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've mostly good things about the tora. The main bad thing I've heard about it is the weight. The fork weighs over 5 pounds! crikey, thats what a 160mm travel fox 36 weighs.

    however, the tora is supposedly stiff and reliable, which is what the average rider wants and needs.

  10. #10
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
    I've mostly good things about the tora. The main bad thing I've heard about it is the weight. The fork weighs over 5 pounds! crikey, thats what a 160mm travel fox 36 weighs.

    however, the tora is supposedly stiff and reliable, which is what the average rider wants and needs.
    5lbs isn't bad for a good quality fork. You know what they say:

    Tough, Light, Cheap...pick two.

    The Tora is Tough and cheap. Def. not light...but I'd take a Tora over an R7 or Corsa any day of the week. It's a proven design that's gonna last. Who cares if it will make your bike weigh another pound-and-a-half, right?

  11. #11
    Official Website Waterboy born2bahick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    3,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowjeep View Post
    a slight dent in your wallet to the tune of around $225 give or take.
    a 33 second advantage over a 55km TT.
    I just spit coffee all over my screen again, Subtle humor and sarcasm is soooo understated on the internet!

  12. #12
    Senior Member biker128pedal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eastern VA
    My Bikes
    Madone 5.0, Old Trek 412, Shogun 1500, Diamondback Topanga frame (Warranty replacement of broken Raleigh)
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put it on and rid it. The lockout is good for the road. I like my Tora 318. It is heavy but rides much better than the Manitou SX.
    Mike
    Madone 5.0, Old Trek 412, Shogun 1500
    Diamondback Topanga frame (Warranty replacement of broken Raleigh)

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help!! is there anyother fairly necissary upgrades for a hardrock sport that I should keep in mind? besides disks?

  14. #14
    No Compromise. CercaMemorial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 820 (Commuter), 1980s Bianchi (In Storage), 1970s Windsor fixed (Sold), BMC Superstroke 01 (Sold), Access XCL ss, Ellsworth Sub 22 (Sold), Trek 930 (Lending to a Friend), Voodoo Bokor One
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid gold rotors.

  15. #15
    Generic Title ProFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Platinum brake levers.
    Generic Joke

  16. #16
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GurrCentral View Post
    Thanks for the help!! is there anyother fairly necissary upgrades for a hardrock sport that I should keep in mind? besides disks?
    As long as your wheels are in good shape the fork is the upgrade where you'll feel the most improvement. Upgrade components as they wear out. If you keep things clean and adjusted they should last a good while.
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •