Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-04, 05:38 PM   #1
ruirui
need to go out and ride..
Thread Starter
 
ruirui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R1, 2014 Redline Conquest Team, 2015 BMC TMR02
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
OK.. Here's my dilema... HELP ME...

ok.. now i'm in a big dilema now. my lbs just told me that the hardrock sport is for $299 and the rockhopper is $399. the rockhopper seems to have better parts and fork. what should i do???

which one would you choose???
Rockhopper-Dream vs. Hardrock Sport-Dream

please enlighten me... i'm stomped! both of them seem to be good deals. are both frames equal? i'm going to do some trails and small jumps here and there.

rui
ruirui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 05:58 PM   #2
khuon
DEADBEEF
 
khuon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
Posts: 12,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruirui
please enlighten me... i'm stomped! both of them seem to be good deals. are both frames equal? i'm going to do some trails and small jumps here and there.
As far as frame quality goes, yes they are equal. As far as components go, the Rockhopper has slightly better components but to be honest, I'm not sure you will notice the difference other than the fact that your wallet is now $100 lighter. Based on those two things, I'd go for the HardRock.

However...

You probably want to have a close look at the geometries. The Rockhopper is set up with a shorter top-tube but longer stem. It also has a shorter headtube and wheelbase. The fork offset is shorter too. This says to me that it's a tighter frame and probably meant for more aggressive riding. You'll want to consider that I think more than anything else. The HardRock's geometry is conducive to a slightly more upright position.
__________________
1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122
khuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 06:07 PM   #3
ruirui
need to go out and ride..
Thread Starter
 
ruirui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R1, 2014 Redline Conquest Team, 2015 BMC TMR02
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERTON
wait until you have more money and get a full suspension bike.
no thanks.. i'm only like hardtails. but thanks for the suggestions.
ruirui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 06:12 PM   #4
ruirui
need to go out and ride..
Thread Starter
 
ruirui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R1, 2014 Redline Conquest Team, 2015 BMC TMR02
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuon
As far as frame quality goes, yes they are equal. As far as components go, the Rockhopper has slightly better components but to be honest, I'm not sure you will notice the difference other than the fact that your wallet is now $100 lighter. Based on those two things, I'd go for the HardRock.

However...

You probably want to have a close look at the geometries. The Rockhopper is set up with a shorter top-tube but longer stem. It also has a shorter headtube and wheelbase. The fork offset is shorter too. This says to me that it's a tighter frame and probably meant for more aggressive riding. You'll want to consider that I think more than anything else. The HardRock's geometry is conducive to a slightly more upright position.
khuon... thanks for the suggestions. humm.. i didn't know the that the more upright geo is meant for aggressive riding. but yeah i'll keep that in mind. now i just have to go convince my wife that the rockhopper will be better choice. hehe
ruirui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 06:37 PM   #5
khuon
DEADBEEF
 
khuon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
Posts: 12,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruirui
khuon... thanks for the suggestions. humm.. i didn't know the that the more upright geo is meant for aggressive riding. but yeah i'll keep that in mind. now i just have to go convince my wife that the rockhopper will be better choice. hehe
Actually I tend to think of it the opposite way. More upright to me means less aggressive but I guess one has to define "aggressive". Maybe I'm thinking old-school here but when someone says that a bike has a more aggressive geometry, that says "race" which tends to invoke images of lowered positioning. I suppose this was only true when speaking in terms relative to XC.
__________________
1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122
khuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 12:10 AM   #6
ruirui
need to go out and ride..
Thread Starter
 
ruirui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R1, 2014 Redline Conquest Team, 2015 BMC TMR02
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuon
Actually I tend to think of it the opposite way. More upright to me means less aggressive but I guess one has to define "aggressive". Maybe I'm thinking old-school here but when someone says that a bike has a more aggressive geometry, that says "race" which tends to invoke images of lowered positioning. I suppose this was only true when speaking in terms relative to XC.
humm.. i was thinking about that.. i think the more upright the geo is.. the more easier it is to ride. whereas the more angled geo would be more harder to ride? on my current rockhopper.. it's fairly easy to ride because i think it's more upright.
ruirui is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 AM.