Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Keepin' it real since '84
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Jamis Komodo
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    sram shimano compatibility

    quick question. are sram derailleurs compatible with shimano shifters and vice versa? may be a dumb question, but hey, i just wanna make sure. thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member mindbogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigchina
    quick question. are sram derailleurs compatible with shimano shifters and vice versa? may be a dumb question, but hey, i just wanna make sure. thanks.
    I think its only SRAM stuff that aren't ESP that can work with Shimano. Sram uses a 1:1 ratio while shimano uses a 2:1 ratio.

    Anyone feel free to correct me
    00' Cannondale R1000
    01' Devinci Chilipepper

    When sh*t hits the fan, everything I'm not, made me everything I am.

  3. #3
    Keepin' it real since '84
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Jamis Komodo
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mindbogger
    I think its only SRAM stuff that aren't ESP that can work with Shimano. Sram uses a 1:1 ratio while shimano uses a 2:1 ratio.

    Anyone feel free to correct me
    so the X.7 - X.0 would be compatible?

  4. #4
    Keepin' it real since '84
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Jamis Komodo
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigchina
    so the X.7 - X.0 would be compatible?
    wait. nevermind. they are ESP.

  5. #5
    Senior Member mindbogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigchina
    wait. nevermind. they are ESP.
    I was just about to say that. I think the shorty half pipe? and attacks are not ESP and can be used. But they are grip shifters
    00' Cannondale R1000
    01' Devinci Chilipepper

    When sh*t hits the fan, everything I'm not, made me everything I am.

  6. #6
    NOT a weight weenie Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    1,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No correction neccesary. Sram's ESp der's are compatible with Sram ESP shifters. If you want to use shimaNO then get shimaNO shifters. You can however get Sram shifters that will work with shimaNO der's.

  7. #7
    DEADBEEF khuon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
    My Bikes
    1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
    Posts
    12,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigchina
    so the X.7 - X.0 would be compatible?
    You've got it backwards. SRAM derailleurs are all 1:1 so thus are incompatible with Shimano shifters. You can use some SRAM shifters with Shimano derailleurs but there are no 2:1 SRAM derailleurs.
    1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte OCP Club Member
    "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122

  8. #8
    Keepin' it real since '84
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Jamis Komodo
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, the whole idea is that i have a deore rear mech now w/ deore shifter/brake levers. im not too happy with the derailleur, its not very smooth, and i've heard good things about sram. im basically debating whether to eventually go with an LX/XT level shimano or an X.7- X.0 sram.

  9. #9
    NOT a weight weenie Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    1,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khuon
    You've got it backwards. SRAM derailleurs are all 1:1 so thus are incompatible with Shimano shifters. You can use some SRAM shifters with Shimano derailleurs but there are no 2:1 SRAM derailleurs.
    Whose got what backward's? There are Sram 2:1 rear der's they are very low end replacement der's for dept store bikes. Most people on here would not use them.

  10. #10
    DEADBEEF khuon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
    My Bikes
    1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
    Posts
    12,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    Whose got what backward's? There are Sram 2:1 rear der's they are very low end replacement der's for dept store bikes. Most people on here would not use them.
    Interesting. I did not know about those. The lowest end SRAM rear mech I know of is the 3.0 and it's 1:1.
    1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte OCP Club Member
    "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122

  11. #11
    NOT a weight weenie Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    1,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigchina
    yeah, the whole idea is that i have a deore rear mech now w/ deore shifter/brake levers. im not too happy with the derailleur, its not very smooth, and i've heard good things about sram. im basically debating whether to eventually go with an LX/XT level shimano or an X.7- X.0 sram.
    Go with SRAM. The XO der although expensive is a huge improvement to Deore. You could always go with a X7 combo throughout if you do not want to drop the cash on a XO der.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Menlo Park, CA
    My Bikes
    GT Forte Ti, Specialized Tricross Sport, Specialized Langster, Bianchi Fremont, Xootr Swift
    Posts
    2,169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one interesting thing to note that my buddy uses sram 7.0ESP (not x7) shifters with a deore XT rear derailleur and there were no problems.

    myself, i use sram900 esp shifters with 9.0sl rear der and it's really smooth.

    cant say anything about sram triggers but so far the reviews have been bright.
    i won't deny it i'm a straight ridah

  13. #13
    Keepin' it real since '84
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Jamis Komodo
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    Go with SRAM. The XO der although expensive is a huge improvement to Deore. You could always go with a X7 combo throughout if you do not want to drop the cash on a XO der.
    yeah, i would hope that XO would be a huge jump.. i mean, it costs as much as an XTR. ive heard great things about sram though

  14. #14
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    18,877
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can only recommend the Sram x.7 series, they work like a dream.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  15. #15
    Gravity Is Yer Friend dirtbikedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    "Over the Hill" and going down fast in the 805.
    My Bikes
    Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4
    Posts
    2,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SRAM deraileurs = SRAM shifters

    Shimano deraileurs = Shimano shifters and SRAM Rocket shifters

    I personaly have switched all my bikes over to SRAM. I fell the shifts are smoother and I prefer the gripshift over trigger. Either system is good, just boils down to personal preferance.


  16. #16
    Senior Member mindbogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    you want to use shimaNO then get shimaNO shifters. You can however get Sram shifters that will work with shimaNO der's.
    Maybe its just me but I am sorta getting the message of saying NO to shimano. Maybe its just me. As for shifters, I am currently running deore rapid fire but my broken but healed wrist is acting up and restricting me from shifting up fast enough. Ive got a pair of Sram grip shifters I am going to install once they die.
    00' Cannondale R1000
    01' Devinci Chilipepper

    When sh*t hits the fan, everything I'm not, made me everything I am.

  17. #17
    NOT a weight weenie Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    1,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mindbogger
    Maybe its just me but I am sorta getting the message of saying NO to shimano. Maybe its just me. As for shifters, I am currently running deore rapid fire but my broken but healed wrist is acting up and restricting me from shifting up fast enough. Ive got a pair of Sram grip shifters I am going to install once they die.
    Yes you got it shimaNO.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •