Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-09, 08:54 PM   #1
mtbabruni
MTBabruni
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Bikes: 02' Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc,09' Eastern BMX
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need Help Here

So, im converting my mountain bike into a "road bike" since i no longer live near the moutains.

Heres my problem. I would like to buy these drop bars

Drop Bars
http://elitecycling.com/page.cfm?Pag...ils&sku=HB9029

and would like to know if i'm able to mount my mountain bike brake lever/trigger shiffter combo, on the top side of the drop bars.

Thanks in advanced!
mtbabruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 09:29 PM   #2
sirtigersalot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've been told that you shouldn't because mtn and road bars are diff sizes in diameter (I know the clamp is diff on regular bars but the same on oversized, but the rest of the bar...) however i've heard of it being done, but i was told it was only a matter of time until some piece cracked or somthin. You would want the 25.4 variety

either way I don't think it really works, you don't have any hoods to ride on and you will not be able to get to you brakes fast so it wouldn't be safe to ride anywhere but on the tops, just like a mtn bike. Also road bikes generally have shorter top tubes to account for the xtra 4 inces your hands go foward on drop bars, you are still generally more stretched out on a road bike go a mtn frame shoudl be really really extreme with drops

if you still wanna do it but your too cheap to get real road bike shifters (yeah they are really expensive eh) then get am set of tectro r200a brake levers and bar end shifters, that will be alot less expensive as the levers are like $25 and the shifters can be found for around $50 i think retail is usually about 100, but i froogled and found some ultegra ones for like $60


Also check these out, just cut down your current bars and slap these on http://www.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=5088497
sirtigersalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 09:45 PM   #3
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtigersalot View Post
i've been told that you shouldn't because mtn and road bars are diff sizes in diameter (I know the clamp is diff on regular bars but the same on oversized, but the rest of the bar...) however i've heard of it being done, but i was told it was only a matter of time until some piece cracked or somthin. You would want the 25.4 variety

either way I don't think it really works, you don't have any hoods to ride on and you will not be able to get to you brakes fast so it wouldn't be safe to ride anywhere but on the tops, just like a mtn bike. Also road bikes generally have shorter top tubes to account for the xtra 4 inces your hands go foward on drop bars, you are still generally more stretched out on a road bike go a mtn frame shoudl be really really extreme with drops

if you still wanna do it but your too cheap to get real road bike shifters (yeah they are really expensive eh) then get am set of tectro r200a brake levers and bar end shifters, that will be alot less expensive as the levers are like $25 and the shifters can be found for around $50 i think retail is usually about 100, but i froogled and found some ultegra ones for like $60


Also check these out, just cut down your current bars and slap these on http://www.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=5088497
Huh? You mean the oversize stuff is different? And here I thought oversized on road and mtb is 31.8.

Personally I wouldn't do it, but it's not my bike, so you may need to set things up differently when it comes to the brakes. All in all you would probably be best off getting a road bike in the long haul.
__________________
Signature.
Dannihilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 10:08 PM   #4
mtbabruni
MTBabruni
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Bikes: 02' Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc,09' Eastern BMX
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys. What about if i buy a wing bar, like this one.

http://elitecycling.com/page.cfm?Pag...ils&sku=HB9039

can i then mount my brakes/shifters on the top bar?

Last edited by mtbabruni; 03-22-09 at 10:19 PM.
mtbabruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 10:28 PM   #5
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Could get away with it, you'd have to run barend shifters though.
__________________
Signature.
Dannihilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 10:56 PM   #6
sirtigersalot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannihilator View Post
Huh? You mean the oversize stuff is different? And here I thought oversized on road and mtb is 31.8.
ok srsly wtf, i said the clamp was diff on standard bars but the same on oversized, ie both mtn and road oversized have the same sized clamp (31.8)

however NON OVERSIZED are diff 25.4 vs 26mm mtn being 25.4 and road being 26.0 now you can find road bars in a 25.4 (like what the op found) and even in a 25.8 (go figure) but the standard is 26.0
sirtigersalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 11:02 PM   #7
sirtigersalot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbabruni View Post
Thanks guys. What about if i buy a wing bar, like this one.

http://elitecycling.com/page.cfm?Pag...ils&sku=HB9039

can i then mount my brakes/shifters on the top bar?
idk what the brake/shifter clamp is on that style of bar (ie not the stem area the hand area) i'd imagine its the same as a road bike but idk, and as i said above i only remember being told that part was diff mtn vs road

but somthin to be aware of "wing" bars to me mean ovalized aero shaped top of the bars, obviously that wouldn't work but i can't tell in the pic if that one is like that or not (also depends on where exactly you wanna mount your controls
sirtigersalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 07:22 AM   #8
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtigersalot View Post
ok srsly wtf, i said the clamp was diff on standard bars but the same on oversized, ie both mtn and road oversized have the same sized clamp (31.8)

however NON OVERSIZED are diff 25.4 vs 26mm mtn being 25.4 and road being 26.0 now you can find road bars in a 25.4 (like what the op found) and even in a 25.8 (go figure) but the standard is 26.0
This is why you use punctuation and upper case the first letter in a sentence.

You can find road bars in 25.4 and a few in 26.0 still.
__________________
Signature.
Dannihilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:05 PM.