Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    GXP Installation, Single Speed Problem

    I picked up a Ridley Ignite Singlespeed Frame, with track ends and disc mount, and am having trouble installing a Truvatuv Stylo, singlespeed crankset on it.

    I installed the GXP MTB bottom bracket, with an included spacer on each side (since BB shell width is 68mm), but when I put the crank spindle through, the drive side crank (race?) is still about 3mm from pressing against the bearing seal. Even when I tighten down the non-drive side crank arm, the drive side is far from laying flush against the bb.

    I have installed Truvativ Omnium track cranks on bikes before without a problem. The drive side crank always rested on the drive side bearing cup...

    I can't imagine that Truvativ would have the drive side crank floating, not pressing against the drive side bearing.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member joetronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hanover PA
    Posts
    940
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The drive side cup should not bottom out on the frame, I think. Is it 113 or 118? you may need a 113 if you got the 118

    Sorry, I am no help at all. Don't even know why I replied

  3. #3
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    2010 Jamis Parker, 2005 Jamis Komodo, 1998 Jamis Komodo, 198? Raleigh Pointe, 1978 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2
    Posts
    10,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're supposed to have 2 spacers on the drive side and one on the non drive side. (unless you want to move it to the left to shore up the chain line a bit. There are supposed to be 3 spacers total. Each are 2.5mm thick.

  4. #4
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller 2010 DMR Transition 26
    Posts
    18,354
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joetronic View Post
    The drive side cup should not bottom out on the frame, I think. Is it 113 or 118? you may need a 113 if you got the 118

    Sorry, I am no help at all. Don't even know why I replied
    GXP is external, not internal, there's no set spindle length. Only set spindle length with an external with a set spindle length is the howitzer bb.

    Did you have the spacers correct; 2 on drive side, one on the non drive side?
    Quote Originally Posted by scrodzilla
    I'm going out on the town tonight and it won't be over until I snort a line of habanero seeds off the hood of a red Fiero.
    Words and Stuff.
    pedal room thingy

  5. #5
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    2010 Jamis Parker, 2005 Jamis Komodo, 1998 Jamis Komodo, 198? Raleigh Pointe, 1978 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2
    Posts
    10,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goggles View Post
    I installed the GXP MTB bottom bracket, with an included spacer on each side (since BB shell width is 68mm), but when I put the crank spindle through, the drive side crank (race?) is still about 3mm from pressing against the bearing seal. Even when I tighten down the non-drive side crank arm, the drive side is far from laying flush against the bb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannihilator View Post
    GXP is external, not internal, there's no set spindle length. Only set spindle length with an external with a set spindle length is the howitzer bb.

    Did you have the spacers correct; 2 on drive side, one on the non drive side?
    Something tells me he left one out.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! I didn't realize that I was supposed to use three spacers total. The BB only came with two, and the manual said to use one on each side for 68mm shells.

  7. #7
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    2010 Jamis Parker, 2005 Jamis Komodo, 1998 Jamis Komodo, 198? Raleigh Pointe, 1978 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2
    Posts
    10,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your LBS should be able to slide you one.

    If not, PM me and I'll check my toolbox.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •