Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 185mm or 203mm?

  1. #1
    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶ Luke52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Filter 1. 07/08 Apollo Independent.
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    185mm or 203mm?

    So I'll be upgrading my brakes to some Avid BB7's in near future, and as part of a deal the guy at the bike shop said he would throw in any sized rotors I want, free of charge.

    I have 160mm rotors front and back at the moment, and I'm happy to keep a 160mm up back, but I would like to upgrade the front. I'm not sure whether to go 185mm or 203mm.

    I'm sure 185 would be adequate for my riding (Mainly XC riding, a small hint of downhill every now and then, but nothing extreme) although a part of me is saying "Get the 203!" purely for looks. "Hey, look at my massive brakes, motherf***er!"

    So opinions; Would a 203mm rotor really be overkill?

  2. #2
    Blue Light Special kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, Sunny Cali
    My Bikes
    '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the specs on your fork for maximum rotor size.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    racer x flies across cobblestones with a grimace of determination, three feet of seatpost, bars level with ankles, carbon fiber frame with Kryptonite lugs and a millimeter clearance between the fork and the 700x21c tires. This gives everyone a *****

  3. #3
    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶ Luke52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Filter 1. 07/08 Apollo Independent.
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
    Check the specs on your fork for maximum rotor size.
    That, sir, is a good idea.

    Would the specs be written on the fork somewhere, or in the manual/online?

  4. #4
    ****** (can I say this?)
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    1,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prolly online manual. I'd personally go with 180's. If you ride with people who have 160's they look massive.
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”- Jeremy Clarkson

  5. #5
    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶ Luke52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Filter 1. 07/08 Apollo Independent.
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ca7erham View Post
    Prolly online manual. I'd personally go with 180's. If you ride with people who have 160's they look massive.
    I've taken a look in the manual and online, and nothing.

    The fork is a Mozo Vigor Q. The manual tells me to go to the website for further information, but the website doesn't even have Vigor listed under products. That's annoying.

  6. #6
    Official Website Waterboy born2bahick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    3,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke52 View Post
    I'm sure 185 would be adequate for my riding (Mainly XC riding, a small hint of downhill every now and then, but nothing extreme) although a part of me is saying "Get the 203!" purely for looks. "Hey, look at my massive brakes, motherf***er!"
    Sounds like a guy I know

  7. #7
    ****** (can I say this?)
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    1,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by born2bahick View Post
    Sounds like a guy I know
    By any chance is he running 160's at the moment?
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”- Jeremy Clarkson

  8. #8
    ****** (can I say this?)
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    1,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke52 View Post
    I've taken a look in the manual and online, and nothing.

    The fork is a Mozo Vigor Q. The manual tells me to go to the website for further information, but the website doesn't even have Vigor listed under products. That's annoying.
    I just looked up the fork. Personally, I'd not go with the 203's, but thats just me.
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”- Jeremy Clarkson

  9. #9
    B A N N E D
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,017
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mozo Vigor Q = a low end 83mm XC fork.

    probably not recommended and not necessary to have a disc larger than 160mm.
    Last edited by cobba; 04-07-09 at 07:24 PM.

  10. #10
    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶ Luke52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Filter 1. 07/08 Apollo Independent.
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Mozo Vigor Q = a low end 83mm XC fork.
    probably not recommended and not necessary to have a disc larger than 160mm.
    Yeah, that's the one.


  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    larger rotors are more likely to snag a root or rock and get bent....my vote is 180 if you are heavy, I'm 175 ride XC and 160 rotors work fine

  12. #12
    I have senior moments... bikinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woodside, CA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    2,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From your riding description alone 160s should be more than fine, and seeing your fork details now, just go with 160.
    suum quique
    Mountain bikes: Santa Cruz Hecklers (99, 02, 07), Santa Cruz Nomad, Moots YBB, Trek OCLV Pro Issue, American Breezer
    Road bikes: TST, Trek 2300 (Carbon/Alum)

  13. #13
    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶ Luke52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Filter 1. 07/08 Apollo Independent.
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikinfool View Post
    From your riding description alone 160s should be more than fine, and seeing your fork details now, just go with 160.
    Yeah, it seems like this is the better option.

    Thanks for everyone's inputs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •