Looking to get into the sport. Ive visited a few local bike shops, and found a few that i like. If anybody could point out some bikes, that would be great...
1) Your budget. How much do you have to spend on the bicycle (not including accessories such as helmet, gloves and other accessories).
833 is the bike i currently have my mind set on. Somewhere close to that, with less being a lot better than more.
2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering? (Please try to limit the selection to a handful if at all possible, and provide links to those bikes. Remember, we don't always know the exact specs of all the bikes out there!)
Currently in this order:
08 Kona Caldera $833
Specialized rock hopper comp. $749
3) What type of riding do you intend to do? (e.g. Cross Country, Freeride, Downhill, paved paths)
I want to ride everything...trails, roads, cross country, down hill possibly
4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension?
hard tail bike.
5) Age, weight and height. (In many instances very important for a variety of reasons).
21, 195lbs, 6'1" Weight lift every day so my weight will be going up...
6) What sources will you consider buying from? (e.g. Your Local Bike Shop, online vendors, or used bike sources such as mtbr classifieds, craigslist, ebay and others)
Buying from a local bike shop. A lot of them carry: Giant, Kona, Specialized, Trek, GT. I may have missed a few brands.
7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources?
Alternate brands, bikes, close budget, sources most likely a lbs. I have almost no experience with putting a bike together so that could be a problem.
I'm looking for something with disc brakes, not specific to hydraulic or mech. It doesn;'t have to be an 09 model, but must be new. I would like the less common brands. I hate having what everybody else has. Trek seems to be the most popular in my area.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.