Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Odd Sizing from Specialized?

    I recently posted to inquire as to whether or not my bike was the right or ideal size. My question was.....I have a 2004 Specialized FSR XC Pro and I was told my a bike shop that it is a medium and too big for me.

    Here's the part that I didn't notice....There is a sticker on the frame that I think is the size....It says Specialized on top....on the bottom it says "Innovate or Die" and in the middle it has an "S". I thought the S was for Specialized but now I think it is the size....

    The weird part.....I measured from the middle of the bottom bracket tot he top of the seat tube collar and it is def either 17 or 17.5 inches which would be a medium by any brand. I really can't figure out if the bike was mislabeled, if Specialized changed their sizing or what. Or maybe that "S" really is just for specialized.

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Sneaky Fast....
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Swartz Creek, Mi
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Epic Expert, 2005 Giant TCR C3, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp, 1986 Raleigh Capri 10spd, 1982 KHS Turbo 12spd, Wife's: 2010 Specialized Safire Comp Komen, 2007 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2005 Giant OCR3, 2000 Trek 6000 WSD
    Posts
    395
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a picture of it, but from the sounds of it it may be the frame size.

    Chris
    ....on a tricycle!

    Bikes

  3. #3
    Bike Junkie roccobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Posts
    8,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what you've said, you've got a medium bike with a sizing sticker that says "small".
    My 05 FSR XC Comp is 17" and has the same label with an "M".
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has the same thing, but instead of having an "M", there is a "17".

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Under the Downunder
    My Bikes
    MTBs, BMX, Pocket MTB
    Posts
    1,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedrot99 View Post
    The weird part.....I measured from the middle of the bottom bracket tot he top of the seat tube collar and it is def either 17 or 17.5 inches which would be a medium by any brand. I really can't figure out if the bike was mislabeled, if Specialized changed their sizing or what. Or maybe that "S" really is just for specialized.

    Any thoughts?
    I could be wrong but I understand that the frame size is the length of the effective top tube length. What you have measured on the other hand is the seat tube length.

    .
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Like clever mice, if there is a any crevice to exploit, a chain will find room to jump and derail; you can count on it.

  6. #6
    SPOON!!!!! lofnsjoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    35.43 119.05
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pocko View Post
    I could be wrong but I understand that the frame size is the length of the effective top tube length. What you have measured on the other hand is the seat tube length.

    .
    road bikes measure TT for size, mtn bikes are usually measured via seat tube for size

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Under the Downunder
    My Bikes
    MTBs, BMX, Pocket MTB
    Posts
    1,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lofnsjoke View Post
    road bikes measure TT for size, mtn bikes are usually measured via seat tube for size
    This took me by surprise, but I did some digging and you're right... I stand corrected.

    I come from a BMX dirt background in which all frames of various sizes have extremely low if not similar stand-over heights - for obvious clearance needed for jumping and bunny hopping (same reason why MTB jump bikes and trials bikes have really short seat tubes as well). Like road bikes, BMX frame sizing is also primarily based on TT length because a taller rider would need more "cockpit" room (effective distance from BB to handlebar).

    I had wrongly assumed all these years that MTBs are measured similarly by TT. On one sizing website, it even mentions that some MTB frames of the same seat tube length (same frame size) may have short or long TT length... how bizarre!

    Oh well, we learn everyday...


    .
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Like clever mice, if there is a any crevice to exploit, a chain will find room to jump and derail; you can count on it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •