Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    MB for tall rider.

    I am a tall rider, 6'5, with a long torso even for that height. My road bike is a custom and I want to get into a mountain bike, but was hoping not to have to go the custom route. I have heard I could likely get away with a stock frame because the riding position is obviously more upright on a MB. I have used a Kelin Attitude, 01 model, and their XL fit me pretty well. Any other suggestions? I have a cap of about $1200. I heard that Gary Fischer made a good frame for taller folks, but have not tried one yet. Mountain biking is very new to me, so please excuse my ignorance. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    The Rabbi seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,929
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary Fisher's series of 29" wheeled mountainbikes would be a good choice for you. The wheel is more proportional to your height so you aren't sitting a foot above the wheels like on a conventional 26" wheeled bike. There's also the rolling advantages of the 29er. I think for $1200 you can get the XT equipped Dualsport 129 or 229... forget which is the upper model... but in anycase it comes setup as a "dualsport" bike, but can be 100% mountainbike with a tyre swap. I'm not sure if GF makes the Supercaliber or any other MTB 29er anymore but thats something to look into.

  3. #3
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to help but I ride bikes that fit small and I am 6'5. So I really can't comment to much as I have never tried bigger bikes. The 29" wheel sounds like it might be a great option for you though.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seely
    Gary Fisher's series of 29" wheeled mountainbikes would be a good choice for you. The wheel is more proportional to your height so you aren't sitting a foot above the wheels like on a conventional 26" wheeled bike. There's also the rolling advantages of the 29er. I think for $1200 you can get the XT equipped Dualsport 129 or 229... forget which is the upper model... but in anycase it comes setup as a "dualsport" bike, but can be 100% mountainbike with a tyre swap. I'm not sure if GF makes the Supercaliber or any other MTB 29er anymore but thats something to look into.
    That really sounds cool. Thanks! If anyone has anymore info on these that would be great.

  5. #5
    NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS! a2psyklnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
    My Bikes
    Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
    Posts
    7,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually going to suggest the 29er route, but that Wacko from Waco beat me to it.

    I do know that some companies offer "JUMBO" size frames. I know Cannondale does! They've got some good hardtails within your budget.

    L8R
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
    "Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked these out today. Great advice. Would love to afford the GF Sugar 293 but it is out of my budget by a little bit. Damn I like that bike! I live in the mountains of Virginia off a dirt road and would love to ride out (actually down, way down) of my driveway without having to drive to go riding as on my roadie. Is full suspension, such as the Sugar, above what a beginner needs?

  7. #7
    Pedalphile BurlySurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    My Bikes
    better ones than yours
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman
    I checked these out today. Great advice. Would love to afford the GF Sugar 293 but it is out of my budget by a little bit. Damn I like that bike! I live in the mountains of Virginia off a dirt road and would love to ride out (actually down, way down) of my driveway without having to drive to go riding as on my roadie. Is full suspension, such as the Sugar, above what a beginner needs?
    Hey since you ride custom anyway, check out the Surly Karate Monkey. Its a 29er, that comes as a frame only so you can make it in your price range if you want, plus it can morph to a road bike. Check out www.surlybikes.com for the real deal, but it sounds like what youre looking for.
    Dont PM me.

  8. #8
    Sport Class Racer GT_ATB32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    My Bikes
    2003 Leader Bike LD 515 <----race bike, 1991 Cannondale SR 400, Haro Escape 8.3(dead, will revive to ride urban on),2003 Ironhorse Hollowpoint Expert, Random Frames and BMX stuff
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leader Bike USA makes a 21" hardtail frame. It might be big enough to fit you. check out: http://www.leaderbikeusa.com/products/frames/frames.htm

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BurlySurly
    Hey since you ride custom anyway, check out the Surly Karate Monkey. Its a 29er, that comes as a frame only so you can make it in your price range if you want, plus it can morph to a road bike. Check out www.surlybikes.com for the real deal, but it sounds like what youre looking for.
    Pretty cool indeed. Any idea what one goes for?

  10. #10
    Industry Maven Thylacine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Wherever good bikes are sold
    My Bikes
    Thylacines...only Thylacines.
    Posts
    2,936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm 6ft 4ins. I can ride anything that has a top tube within 24.25"-25.00", depending on the geometry, length of stem etc. Ideally, 24.8" is my sweetspot, so really, if you say you have long arms and torso even for your height, I wouldn't put you on anything shorter than a 25" top tube. I'm not sure how many budget mtbs would even come close to that.

    As for the 29" wheels, sure, they're an option, but they have nothing to do with fit. They work better for taller riders, sure, but if it comes down to an ill fitting 29er and a good fitting 26er, I know what I'd pick.

    I'd also be looking at long stays (17") and high BB's, in the 12" range or higher. I'd also be running 180mm cranks too, but again, I'm not sure what budget bike would fit here. have a look around, see what's available.
    Have you earned your stripes? <<click here / Questions about custom frames? Chat me! - warwickg71 (AIM/iChat) ThylacineCycles (Skype)

  11. #11
    Pedalphile BurlySurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    My Bikes
    better ones than yours
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman
    Pretty cool indeed. Any idea what one goes for?
    http://www.webcyclery.com/.docs/prod...t_details.html

    Boom, frame and fork for $430. This is your ride!
    Dont PM me.

  12. #12
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thylacine,

    Wow you like a long frame. Anything longer than about 23.5 and I feel toooo stretched You really gotta try some bike. Everyone prefers different fits and feels.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •