Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member Milice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How do you know when.......

    How do you know when.......it's time to try your hand at racing. Haven't raced a MTB since 1992, and only got back to riding one about 1 1/2 years ago. Should I do it and risk making a fool of myself, or just watch from the side lines. Its a race at Vultures knob.
    If it looks like the $3000 bikes but costs less than a decent helmet, it probably isn't a wise investment.


    http://keith-crossreference.blogspot.com/

  2. #2
    In search of moar cowbell dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you feel the urge - - that's the time to go racing. Don't worry looking foolish; that will happen or it won't. Only one way to find out.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Under the Downunder
    My Bikes
    MTBs, BMX, Pocket MTB
    Posts
    1,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Join low-key local races and work your way up into the big league.

    The fact that you're thinking about it means you already have the urge
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Like clever mice, if there is a any crevice to exploit, a chain will find room to jump and derail; you can count on it.

  4. #4
    use your best eye kenhill3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    My Bikes
    '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Posts
    3,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you know when its time?

    When you've signed the registration form, paid your fees, and you're at the start line!
    "I tell you, We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut jr.

  5. #5
    Fresh Meat!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    My Bikes
    Giant Trance X3
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    When you feel the urge - - that's the time to go racing. Don't worry looking foolish; that will happen or it won't. Only one way to find out.
    riding clipped in and falling was the worst 4 me my first Race,LoL. Foolish!

    Quote Originally Posted by kenhill3 View Post
    How do you know when its time?

    When you've signed the registration form, paid your fees, and you're at the start line!
    LMAO. its just about the way it went down! So spontanious was absolutly crazy!

  6. #6
    "STAT" -_RebelRidin'_-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    WVU-Morgantown
    My Bikes
    Trek 3900. 2007 Kona Dawg
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get up a race.

    thats what I did,.
    I raced my first race in the beginner class, and smoked everyone.

    moved to the junior XC class, for the GA Championship and took 3rd for that particular race.

    would of had second, but ran into a mech. issue on my second lap
    2007 Kona Dawg
    2009 Trek 3900
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Under the Downunder
    My Bikes
    MTBs, BMX, Pocket MTB
    Posts
    1,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -_RebelRidin'_- View Post
    Just get up a race.

    thats what I did,.
    I raced my first race in the beginner class, and smoked everyone.

    moved to the junior XC class, for the GA Championship and took 3rd for that particular race.

    would of had second, but ran into a mech. issue on my second lap
    Let me guess... loose headset?



    Just kidding bro...

    .
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Like clever mice, if there is a any crevice to exploit, a chain will find room to jump and derail; you can count on it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Race whenever you feel like it. Well, thats what I'm planning on doing. Just found out that theres a small 4X race just down the road from me as part of a BMX event next mount which I am definatly going to go to. Will quite possibly loose but w/e, it just looks like so much fun that I don't care.

    Currently trying to sort out my bike so it's a bit more suited (upping the fork pressue, dropping to a single front ring, shorter stem and slicker tyres)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •