Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    2 Track Mind Endo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SW Ohio
    My Bikes
    Giant XTC 20 lb Hardtail
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Looking For A First Freeride Rig

    I have done numerous 5+ foot drops on a 21 lb, XC racing machine. (I know, it IS scary and downright stupid.) I am looking to buy a Freeride Bike, maybe around $1500. I don't have a problem buying used or previous years' models. I was considering maybe a Stinky, Norco (VPS ?) , a Haro X3, or an Ironhorse SGS Freeride. Any suggestions ? I am open to looking at other brands/models as well. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member mindbogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endo
    I have done numerous 5+ foot drops on a 21 lb, XC racing machine. (I know, it IS scary and downright stupid.) I am looking to buy a Freeride Bike, maybe around $1500. I don't have a problem buying used or previous years' models. I was considering maybe a Stinky, Norco (VPS ?) , a Haro X3, or an Ironhorse SGS Freeride. Any suggestions ? I am open to looking at other brands/models as well. Thanks!
    I am also looking to get one in and around 1600. THe one that catches my attention is the Kona Stinky. I did some research and came up with this.

    Trek 2004 Liquid 25
    Norco 2004 VPS Fluid 2
    Specialized 2004 Bighit Comp
    Norco 2004 VPS Atomik
    Kona 2004 Stinky
    Kona 2004 Coiler
    Specialized 2004 Enduro Comp

    I know this is a wide range of bikes, but this list I've compiled is for a bike that i can use for downhill/all mountain rides. Right now i am leaning towards a Kona Stinky or a Norco VPS Atomik for downhilling. But for a All Mountain/Enduro type of ride. I am leaning towards the Trek Liquid 25 and Kona Coiler. Hope this helps.
    00' Cannondale R1000
    01' Devinci Chilipepper

    When sh*t hits the fan, everything I'm not, made me everything I am.

  3. #3
    NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS! a2psyklnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
    My Bikes
    Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
    Posts
    7,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rule Trek off your list.

    My preference would be the Iron Horse or really any of the others listed.

    L8R
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
    "Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger

  4. #4
    The Man. FoX Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sitting
    My Bikes
    Haro Extreme X3 with Hayes Mags and Evil DRS
    Posts
    1,070
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting the Haro Extreme X3 '04 for $1500. Where are you located at man?

  5. #5
    Senior Member mindbogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
    I'd rule Trek off your list.
    At first, I wouldn't even consider Trek but after looking at it for numerous hours. Its growing on me. I guess it all depends on the test ride.
    00' Cannondale R1000
    01' Devinci Chilipepper

    When sh*t hits the fan, everything I'm not, made me everything I am.

  6. #6
    Posts: 3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden the Liquid and its more oriented to XC than it is to freeride, the geometry wasnt upright enough for jumps and drops in my opinion, and i never really felt comfortable thrashing it around. If you are looking at a light freeride/enduro type bike I'd also look at the Giant VT 2, I've ridden it and i loved it, felt very much like my Enduro but had the swinger shock in the rear. I think they might have a cheaper version this year thats around 1500, not sure on the parts spec. though.

  7. #7
    2 Track Mind Endo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SW Ohio
    My Bikes
    Giant XTC 20 lb Hardtail
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to buy the most hardcore freeride bike (drops, gaps, etc.) for the least amount of money. Does anybody have any experience with the Manitou Sherman 1.5 series ? Should I be worried about the durability as opposed to a triple clamp ?

  8. #8
    2 Track Mind Endo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SW Ohio
    My Bikes
    Giant XTC 20 lb Hardtail
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FoX Rider
    I'm getting the Haro Extreme X3 '04 for $1500. Where are you located at man?

    I'm in Ohio, Cincinnati area.

  9. #9
    -RiDe On- Jay_2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    1 Supercycle Hoolagan ...(i need a new bike as you can see)
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endo
    I would like to buy the most hardcore freeride bike (drops, gaps, etc.) for the least amount of money. Does anybody have any experience with the Manitou Sherman 1.5 series ? Should I be worried about the durability as opposed to a triple clamp ?


    I think your talking about the 1.5" headtube idea? You really dont need this, and most frames right now dont accept this. The only frames I can think of is the Imperial, and I think the Letoys? You should be fine running the normal 1 1/8" headtube....unless your doing crasy stuff like bender....lol. Also look aorund at building up a bike. You dont have to buy complete....but there are the advantages.
    RiDe-On
    Bikes are good friends...

  10. #10
    suitcase of courage VegasCyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    SoCal (ex Las Vegas, NV)
    Posts
    1,010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_2004
    I think your talking about the 1.5" headtube idea? You really dont need this, and most frames right now dont accept this. The only frames I can think of is the Imperial, and I think the Letoys? You should be fine running the normal 1 1/8" headtube....unless your doing crasy stuff like bender....lol. Also look aorund at building up a bike. You dont have to buy complete....but there are the advantages.

    the Ironhorse SGS has a 1.5 head tube http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/products/freeride/ My friend has the SGS team, and loves it, it is a really interesting design, they use the specialized rear end on this frame, which IMO is a pretty cool setup, good bang for your buck if you ask me
    -VegasCyclist
    "Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.... cost two dollars and it burned like hell...."
    Register!

  11. #11
    Senior Member B1105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    592
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say Ironhorse or maybe a Specialized. Haros are alright if you only have around 800, but otherwise I wouldnt recomend them.

  12. #12
    2 Track Mind Endo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SW Ohio
    My Bikes
    Giant XTC 20 lb Hardtail
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasCyclist
    the Ironhorse SGS has a 1.5 head tube http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/products/freeride/ My friend has the SGS team, and loves it, it is a really interesting design, they use the specialized rear end on this frame, which IMO is a pretty cool setup, good bang for your buck if you ask me

    I think I might go with the IronHorse, it has the best bang for my buck. I'm gonna go with the Expert probabl, because I'm one cheap person.

    Thanks For the Help Everybody!
    www.2TrackMind.tk soon to come!
    A Place For Skiiers and Mountain Bikers To Hang Out

  13. #13
    Just a rider LilRootRx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Branford, CT
    My Bikes
    03' kona stinky and 03' Azonic Ds-1
    Posts
    113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend rides a 2003 iron horse sgs and i will say now, it is the worst bike ive ever ridden. the geometry in my opinion is downright horrible. I got on it and tried to do a bunny hop and ended up flipping over backwards. not only is it kind of bad geometry, the frame is kind of ugly, too much metal all over the place. plus when you bottom out, the seat tube will slam onto the linkage for the shock. I have an 03 stinky and i would recommend this a lot more than the iron horse. when i got on it, i didnt have to adjust to the geometry at all, just the weight (39lbs). All of the people i ride with like the stinky over the iron horse due to its great geometry. if you can get an 03 go for it, they are selling now for $1300 at my lbs now. or just go for an 04, i wish i waited the extra 3 months to get that but didnt know about it when i bought the 03 last year.

  14. #14
    Pedalphile BurlySurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    My Bikes
    better ones than yours
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LilRootRx7
    My friend rides a 2003 iron horse sgs and i will say now, it is the worst bike ive ever ridden. the geometry in my opinion is downright horrible. I got on it and tried to do a bunny hop and ended up flipping over backwards. not only is it kind of bad geometry, the frame is kind of ugly, too much metal all over the place. plus when you bottom out, the seat tube will slam onto the linkage for the shock. .
    You sir, do not have the slightest clue what youre talking about.
    Dont PM me.

  15. #15
    Just a rider LilRootRx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Branford, CT
    My Bikes
    03' kona stinky and 03' Azonic Ds-1
    Posts
    113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BurlySurly
    You sir, do not have the slightest clue what youre talking about.
    Well i am allowed to have my opinion, and i really dislike the iron horses geometry and i personally would not recommend it.

  16. #16
    Pedalphile BurlySurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    My Bikes
    better ones than yours
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LilRootRx7
    Well i am allowed to have my opinion, and i really dislike the iron horses geometry and i personally would not recommend it.
    Sure have an opinion if you like, but if set up correctly, the linkage will not slam into anything. Your buddy obviusly doesnt have something set up right if thats the case, in which case it would also likely affect geometry and handling too, so again, you really dont even know what you're talking about if you're basing your opinion of a bike that wasnt set up correctly, and then bashing it an telling people not to buy it. I dont own an iron horse or even want one, but theyre quality bikes that work well and you're out to slander them because you're misinformed.
    Dont PM me.

  17. #17
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will second of third the ironhorse sgs. Great set of bikes and I like the geometry. And a 26" wheel with fsr would be a sweet setup. Best bang for buck bike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •