Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Back in the saddle again!
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kodiak, Alaska
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Thin Air
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    So how stupid is this?

    It's been years since I've ridden anything remotely considered a long ride (road or mtb). Here on Kodiak Island we are having the first ever 24 Hours of Kodiak mtb race. It's an easy 3.8 mile loop course, takes about 20-25 mins to ride on lap, no big hills, nothing too technical - just a fun ride with a bunch of people.

    Is it suicide for me to do this ride solo, considering I haven't trained for it? It's in 5 weeks. I don't expect, or want, to be competetive, just want to have fun with the first ever race of it's kind on Kodiak.

    So whaddya think - am I killing myself? Anyone else done anything this stupid?!
    Andy
    Rocky Mountain Thin Air
    Bianchi Campione
    Bringheli Custom Frame

  2. #2
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Grow
    It's been years since I've ridden anything remotely considered a long ride (road or mtb). Here on Kodiak Island we are having the first ever 24 Hours of Kodiak mtb race. It's an easy 3.8 mile loop course, takes about 20-25 mins to ride on lap, no big hills, nothing too technical - just a fun ride with a bunch of people.

    Is it suicide for me to do this ride solo, considering I haven't trained for it? It's in 5 weeks. I don't expect, or want, to be competetive, just want to have fun with the first ever race of it's kind on Kodiak.

    So whaddya think - am I killing myself? Anyone else done anything this stupid?!
    Don't waste your time doing it solo if you haven't been doing longer rides. I can almost guarantee you won't finish and you'd potentially take a spot from someone who would finish. Five weeks isn't enough time to go from couch potato to 24 hr rider (notice I didn't say racer)

  3. #3
    Ride bike or bike ride? Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit off ttopic, but...

    Some guy in Sydney did a 24 Hr race and came first in his division on A Stab Primo built up as a DH race rig. He didn't do any specific training for the 24 hour race (which had a couple of big hills in the loop)

    Then again, alot of proper DH riders are very fit, some of the Aussie DHers went to the AIS (Australian Institute of Sport) and broke records for power and endurance that roadies set.
    --------------------------------------------------------o__ ----
    ------------------------_-------_---|-\---------_---- _.>/ _ --------------
    _______________________| - \________(_)_\(_)_______\|/_______\|/______...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop Hoods
    Aint it amazing how courageous human beings are?

  4. #4
    Pedalphile BurlySurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    My Bikes
    better ones than yours
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...just watch out for the bears.
    Dont PM me.

  5. #5
    slower than you Applehead57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    dairy country NY
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Road Sport, peugeot UO-10
    Posts
    652
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How old are you? Pushing yourself for 24 hours is physically risky, don't forget to keep drinking and eating during the event. You will probably have a major league bonk no matter what you do. But, yeah, I'd do it too....
    "Lack of opportunity does not constitute virtue". Diana Tickle.

  6. #6
    Senior Member geoduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    !NorCal!
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately do it! Yeah, you probably won't finish, but it will be interesting to see how hard you can push yourself, and the endorphins you produce will be a killer high.

    BTW...I visited my sis- and bro-in-law on Kodiak two summers ago, and had a great time hiking Barometer and fishing the Buskin River. Where is the race held?
    Kodiak is so green it's definately the 'Emerald Isle'; from the air, it looks like freakin' Hawaii. Have a great time!

    And don't listen to Raiyn...from what I can tell, (s)he spends a lot of time talking downt to people and raining on everybody's parade, rather than providing helpful advice. Well, maybe some of that, too...

  7. #7
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoduck
    Definately do it! Yeah, you probably won't finish, but it will be interesting to see how hard you can push yourself, and the endorphins you produce will be a killer high.

    BTW...I visited my sis- and bro-in-law on Kodiak two summers ago, and had a great time hiking Barometer and fishing the Buskin River. Where is the race held?
    Kodiak is so green it's definately the 'Emerald Isle'; from the air, it looks like freakin' Hawaii. Have a great time!

    And don't listen to Raiyn...from what I can tell, (s)he spends a lot of time talking downt to people and raining on everybody's parade, rather than providing helpful advice. Well, maybe some of that, too...
    You haven't been around long enough to judge anyone newbie. Also my brother-in-law who is a certified personal trainer and has done 12 centuries in the last 6 months (with best time of 4hrs 30 min) agrees with me completly. He would have to eat sleep and do nothing but train for the full five weeks to FINISH a 12 hour Race
    Last edited by Raiyn; 06-16-04 at 03:51 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member MandansFinest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the race would be no fun by yourself. If you want to just have fun save the entry fee and just go ride.
    Always bring a camera!

  9. #9
    Pleasure machine Mikeesq4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Burlington, ON (close to Toronto)
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i could do 24 hours, as long its not a race, and there are no big hills. I find biking actually pretty easy. I've biked for years. my calves are literally the size of a NFL football. i could bike 50 times longer then i could run.

    good luck with that

  10. #10
    Back in the saddle again!
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kodiak, Alaska
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Thin Air
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it.

    I should have been a bit more specific - we are talking about a race that will have 3-5 5 person teams, and 3 solo riders. It's NOT a huge event like the 24 hours of snowshoe or ANYTHING like that - not at all.

    Geoduck - the race is being held at Cliff Point, which is opposite the Coast Guard base across from Women's Bay.

    Yup, bears are a real threat, no kidding. Hopefully they'll be enough noise and commotion to ward them off, however.

    Thanks to everyone for the replies - I'm still considering it!
    Andy
    Andy
    Rocky Mountain Thin Air
    Bianchi Campione
    Bringheli Custom Frame

  11. #11
    Senior Member Shroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Raleigh M40
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do it anyways. it would look good to list on a resume or something even if you didnt win.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR1/Specialized Epic
    Posts
    607
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiyn
    You haven't been around long enough to judge anyone newbie. Also my brother-in-law who is a certified personal trainer and has done 12 centuries in the last 6 months (with best time of 4hrs 30 min) agrees with me completly. He would have to eat sleep and do nothing but train for the full five weeks to FINISH a 12 hour Race
    That's silly, and I've been around long enough. A person in reasonable condition can finish a 24 hour, it would just hurt a lot. They've got to be ready for that pain. I trained and finished a 36 hour event on 4 weeks of training (20 hours per week), but it hurt. I was in reasonable condition in the beginning, but not great shape compared to the other 12 finishers of 77 entrants.
    Our Meek Blog
    Girls like to play in the dirt, too!

  13. #13
    Back in the saddle again!
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kodiak, Alaska
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Thin Air
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, one more thing I failed to mention. I'm no couch potato - I workout 4x a week at the gym, hike the mountains here 2-3x a week, and run some, too. I'm active duty Coast Guard, so it's not like I'm some 300# slug that never moves...!
    Andy
    Rocky Mountain Thin Air
    Bianchi Campione
    Bringheli Custom Frame

  14. #14
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    18,808
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can be done, but don't take the risk though.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  15. #15
    I ride my bike Revtor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go for it!!!!

  16. #16
    Senior Member geoduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    !NorCal!
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy, figured you might be Coastie. Any chance you know my bro-in-law, Chris Burke? He's a loadmaster for the C-130 fleet, and he's shipping out for Hawaii in 2-4 weeks or something. Lucky b**tard, from one Emerald Isle to another!

  17. #17
    Senior Member geoduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    !NorCal!
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiyn
    You haven't been around long enough to judge anyone newbie. Also my brother-in-law who is a certified personal trainer and has done 12 centuries in the last 6 months (with best time of 4hrs 30 min) agrees with me completly. He would have to eat sleep and do nothing but train for the full five weeks to FINISH a 12 hour Race
    Well, since you and your brother-in-law agree, I guess the case is closed. No endurance rides for non-professionals!

  18. #18
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoduck
    Well, since you and your brother-in-law agree, I guess the case is closed. No endurance rides for non-professionals!
    No 24 hour endurance rides for people who only have five weeks to go from zero riding to riding 24 hours straight. Nowhere did I say "professional"

  19. #19
    Just give'er. hooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    04 Scrap
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How fast are we going? I kept up 6 hours of 20 kmph rdiing no problem.

  20. #20
    New to bikeforùms.net
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    2,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooligan
    How fast are we going? I kept up 6 hours of 20 kmph rdiing no problem.
    Thats because 20kph is 12 mph......and 12mph is SLOW.

  21. #21
    NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS! a2psyklnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
    My Bikes
    Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
    Posts
    7,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say go for it, especially if you're on a team. If your attitude is right and you don't get caught up in the "gotta win" type mentality, you'll have a blast.

    I've done several 12-hour races and a 50 mile mtn bike ride. The 50 miler was worse than the 12-hour because with teammates, you rest in between laps.

    Yes, you will be exhausted. Yes, you WILL have fun.

    If you're reasonably fit to begin with, you'll do alright. The biggest issue you'll have is a sore butt. If you've got only 5 weeks, you need to start riding your bike as much as possible to build your butt calouses. Actually it's not a calouse, but muscle tone. You need to get "used" to sitting on a bike saddle.

    If you barely ride, then start with 30 mins to an hour each day. Make yourself ride EVERY day. Repitition is better that a single time.

    Get to the point where you can tolerate 3 hrs on your bike w/o too much discomfort and you'll be fine for a relay race.

    Good Luck, stay hydrated and FED, get good lights!

    L8R
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
    "Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger

  22. #22
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
    I say go for it, especially if you're on a team. If your attitude is right and you don't get caught up in the "gotta win" type mentality, you'll have a blast.

    I've done several 12-hour races and a 50 mile mtn bike ride. The 50 miler was worse than the 12-hour because with teammates, you rest in between laps.

    Yes, you will be exhausted. Yes, you WILL have fun.

    If you're reasonably fit to begin with, you'll do alright. The biggest issue you'll have is a sore butt. If you've got only 5 weeks, you need to start riding your bike as much as possible to build your butt calouses. Actually it's not a calouse, but muscle tone. You need to get "used" to sitting on a bike saddle.

    If you barely ride, then start with 30 mins to an hour each day. Make yourself ride EVERY day. Repitition is better that a single time.

    Get to the point where you can tolerate 3 hrs on your bike w/o too much discomfort and you'll be fine for a relay race.

    Good Luck, stay hydrated and FED, get good lights!

    L8R
    He said he wanted to do it SOLO

  23. #23
    NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS! a2psyklnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
    My Bikes
    Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
    Posts
    7,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooops missed that!

    Yeah, 5 weeks for a solo endeavor is crazy!

    L8R
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
    "Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger

  24. #24
    Ride bike or bike ride? Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that a2, it's like yes do it, it will be cool. Then a flat out NO!
    --------------------------------------------------------o__ ----
    ------------------------_-------_---|-\---------_---- _.>/ _ --------------
    _______________________| - \________(_)_\(_)_______\|/_______\|/______...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop Hoods
    Aint it amazing how courageous human beings are?

  25. #25
    NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS! a2psyklnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
    My Bikes
    Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
    Posts
    7,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going solo is a WHOLE different situation. The guys I've seen race solo are a strange breed. You've really got to have a bit of a masochistics tendency to do a 24 hour event solo.

    To do it without training, you are friggin NUTS!!!!!!!

    Unless of course you only commit to 5 or 6 hours and that's all you're going to do. (And that's being generous with only 5 weeks of training)

    If you go as a team, it's a whole different experience. You have time to rest, there are plenty of people to be support and back-up. Your teammates provide motivation and humor....etc.

    L8R
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
    "Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •