Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-04, 07:41 PM   #1
mindbogger
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mindbogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Usefullness of Lockout

Last Sunday I went for a ride at my usually trail. There are 5 major hills which are steep, somewhat eroded and what not. Ive ridden it many times and usually I can climb 1 of the 5 hills before i get rear wheel slippage or just get too burnt out.

THis time I decided to put my ETA adjustement (locks the fork down) to good use seeing that i rarely use it. Lemme tell you, I was hammering those hills. I was putting my friends using clipless to shame (I ride on platforms and only platforms). I just got some much more power transfered to the rear wheel. So of the 5 hills, I was able to climb every single one of them.

THe only problem is the switch is right by the leg of the fork and it could get dangerous when I am locking it on/off. I loose concentration when trying to flip the switch. I am in the process of trying to get one of my old thumbshifters to link up with that switch to make a remote lever. Still in the early planning stages.

If you have lock out....USE IT!

it might make a big difference in your climbing abilities.
mindbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 09:24 PM   #2
seely 
The Rabbi
 
seely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,087
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a VERY easy way to make a remote switch using a spoke and a reflector mount, and the thumb part off a thumbshifter. I can try to get pictures from a friend if you want to see how its done.
seely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 09:27 PM   #3
a2psyklnut
NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS!
 
a2psyklnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
Bikes: Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seely,

I'd be interested in seeing those pictures meerly for the sake of intelectual curiosity.

L8R
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
a2psyklnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 09:27 PM   #4
mindbogger
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mindbogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seely
There is a VERY easy way to make a remote switch using a spoke and a reflector mount, and the thumb part off a thumbshifter. I can try to get pictures from a friend if you want to see how its done.
That would be great, I am having trouble making one. Can't get enough tension for the switch to be thrown back.
mindbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 10:18 PM   #5
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to see that. I have a z1 and would love a remote control.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 11:24 PM   #6
BQuicksilver
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting idea. Sounds like a solid mod.

I wonder if the big bikemakers read this?
BQuicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 11:56 PM   #7
Thylacine
Industry Maven
 
Thylacine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wherever good bikes are sold
Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.
Posts: 2,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're a smooth climber, lockout WILL NOT help you climb. Having your front wheel track over bumps at slow speed helps you climb, and does not 'rob' you of any power.

Your post says to me 'I ride with platforms and pump the forks like a madman when climbing'. I could be wrong, but I can unequivocally say, without a shadow of a doubt, that ETA will not miraculously help you climb hills you couldnt climb yesterday.

Getting clipped in, pedaling in circles, and having a good setup is what helps you climb. Fullstop. Sorry if I sound preachy, but it's the truth. So says my 17 years of riding mtbs.
Thylacine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 12:01 AM   #8
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eta is a little unique. BEsides locking out it drops to 0 travel with approx 1in ride height (in the travel itself, not total ride height). It changes the HA approx 2degrees. Which would help quite a bit. But yeah when I go uphill I don't bob my fork at all (not even my jrT) but having the ha steeper helps.

But yeah...I suck at climbing...with or without eta ...I am sure the only thing that could help me is clipless (and a some more fitness)
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 06:25 AM   #9
Al.canoe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thylacine
If you're a smooth climber, lockout WILL NOT help you climb. Having your front wheel track over bumps at slow speed helps you climb, and does not 'rob' you of any power.

P
I agree. I have lockouts front and rear but use them only if the ride includes significant pavement. The feedback from my full suspension helps me to "spin circles" better which helps my road riding too. On technical climbs, the suspension actually helps me. However, I've been biking for only a few years.

Al
Al.canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 08:01 AM   #10
mindbogger
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mindbogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thylacine
If you're a smooth climber, lockout WILL NOT help you climb. Having your front wheel track over bumps at slow speed helps you climb, and does not 'rob' you of any power.

Your post says to me 'I ride with platforms and pump the forks like a madman when climbing'. I could be wrong, but I can unequivocally say, without a shadow of a doubt, that ETA will not miraculously help you climb hills you couldnt climb yesterday.

Getting clipped in, pedaling in circles, and having a good setup is what helps you climb. Fullstop. Sorry if I sound preachy, but it's the truth. So says my 17 years of riding mtbs.
Problem is I am not a smooth climber so this really helps me out. I have tried the climbing with clipless but I found it didn't benefit me in the long run.
mindbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 08:14 AM   #11
pnj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
some of us will never use clipless......
pnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 11:18 AM   #12
seely 
The Rabbi
 
seely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,087
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok I tried to post this last night so here it goes again:

Step One
-Drill a hole smaller in diameter than the head of the spoke in the lockout switch on top of the fork crown. This only works on forks with a "thumbswitch".

Two
-Thread the spoke through the hole so the butted end is on the inside of the switch and the spoke is coming through the outside. Bend the spoke upwards with a good, sharp 90 degree turn.

Three
-Using and old reflector seatpost mount (or any where the mounting hole is sideways instead of upright), mount on the handlebar above the lockout and thread the spoke through the hole.

Four
-This is the tricky part that requires the most experimentation. What you need to do is put a bend in the spoke, usually kind of \ shaped, so when you turn the spoke, it ramps up in the hole and pulls the lockout switch over. Be prepared to buy a few spokes

Five
-Cut the trigger off an old thumb shifter. Bend the threaded end of the spoke down to create your lever. Drill a SMALL hole in the shifter thumbie and then thread it on to the threaded end of the spoke. A little loctite or superglue is a good idea here.

Voila (not viola), you have a remote lockout easily accessible from your grips, that costs about $2 to make.

FYI if you mess up your fork, it doesnt work, whatever its not my problem
seely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 03:03 PM   #13
gwhunt23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Richmond, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My new fork with lockout just came in today. Took it by the shop to get it installed and 45 mins later, I got a call saying the bike was ready! Can't wait to go pick it up and see how it does on hills.

About flipping the switch, I think that I will be able to do it while riding. I'm known for adjusting the firmness knob while riding the trails.
gwhunt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 03:08 PM   #14
TRDshaunTRD
Member
 
TRDshaunTRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
any pics of this mod would be extreemly helpfull!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seely
Ok I tried to post this last night so here it goes again:

Step One
-Drill a hole smaller in diameter than the head of the spoke in the lockout switch on top of the fork crown. This only works on forks with a "thumbswitch".

Two
-Thread the spoke through the hole so the butted end is on the inside of the switch and the spoke is coming through the outside. Bend the spoke upwards with a good, sharp 90 degree turn.

Three
-Using and old reflector seatpost mount (or any where the mounting hole is sideways instead of upright), mount on the handlebar above the lockout and thread the spoke through the hole.

Four
-This is the tricky part that requires the most experimentation. What you need to do is put a bend in the spoke, usually kind of \ shaped, so when you turn the spoke, it ramps up in the hole and pulls the lockout switch over. Be prepared to buy a few spokes

Five
-Cut the trigger off an old thumb shifter. Bend the threaded end of the spoke down to create your lever. Drill a SMALL hole in the shifter thumbie and then thread it on to the threaded end of the spoke. A little loctite or superglue is a good idea here.

Voila (not viola), you have a remote lockout easily accessible from your grips, that costs about $2 to make.

FYI if you mess up your fork, it doesnt work, whatever its not my problem
TRDshaunTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 03:59 PM   #15
hanshananigan
Senior Member
 
hanshananigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Bikes: 2006 K2 Apache 6.0, 2001 K2 Razorback Team
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al.canoe
I agree. I have lockouts front and rear but use them only if the ride includes significant pavement. The feedback from my full suspension helps me to "spin circles" better which helps my road riding too. On technical climbs, the suspension actually helps me. However, I've been biking for only a few years.

Al
DITTO! But hey, if ya wanna keep mashing, go right ahead!

Another thought is to get a firmer spring so you don't bounce as much. If you're bouncing that much up hills, you are probably wasting a lot of power on the trail in general.

Oh, and there's no sense in comparing you with platforms vs. others with clipless- you with clipless would probably smoke you with platforms!
hanshananigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 07:00 PM   #16
seely 
The Rabbi
 
seely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,087
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDshaunTRD
any pics of this mod would be extreemly helpfull!
Tell ya what I'll try to make one at work tomorrow and snap some pics... I called my buddy and he doesn't have one on any of his personal bikes so I'll try to mock one up real quick.
seely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-04, 04:33 AM   #17
Reggie
GIANT
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes: 2004 giant xtc3
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sounds like a really intresteing yet odd idea seely
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 AM.