Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-09, 10:25 AM   #1
dminor 
Moar cowbell
Thread Starter
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Which to buy? - - n00b question plz excuse

Hi.

I'm new to the sport of using bike bells and other warning devices to clear the trail ahead. I went to my LBS to pick one up and like there's this whole wall of choices it just confused me and got so overwhelming that i had a sorta panic attack and bolted from the shop not that they thought it was anything unusual anyway cuz i do that a lot there so much stuff so little money ya know?

Anyway maybe u guys can help me out - should i be looking at bels or horns? if its a bell should it have the ka-ching ka-ching sound like my old tricycle bell or is the simple one-ding flippy deal enough to scare off hikers and bears? Or should i just get a horn? and what should it be a fat sumo wrestler squeezy bulb bar-buddy type guy or shude i go hiteck and get an electronic dohick that can play Dixie or sound like the ice cream truck is coming?

Please excuse the questions and don't tell me to use the search its just not my style. if i wanted to use the search and answer my own questions i wouldn't be posting here now wude i?

Here's what i'm looking at, tell me which one of these is best:

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...essories-bells

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...essories-bells

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...essories-bells

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...essories-bells

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...essories-bells


I kinda like this one especially what do you guys thinK?

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...essories-bells
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Last edited by dminor; 07-17-09 at 10:30 AM.
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 10:38 AM   #2
Face-Plant
........
 
Face-Plant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: WNC, USA.
Bikes: Surly - LHT, Stumpjumper FSR Comp
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think this one would be perfect for ya...



pink horn <---- Link

Or you could use one of them loud rear hubs that sound like you have a card flapping in your spokes.
Face-Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 10:40 AM   #3
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Bikes: Hecklah
Posts: 10,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
Hi.

I'm new to the sport of using bike bells and other warning devices to clear the trail ahead. I went to my LBS to pick one up and like there's this whole wall of choices it just confused me and got so overwhelming that i had a sorta panic attack and bolted from the shop not that they thought it was anything unusual anyway cuz i do that a lot there so much stuff so little money ya know?

Anyway maybe u guys can help me out - should i be looking at bels or horns? if its a bell should it have the ka-ching ka-ching sound like my old tricycle bell or is the simple one-ding flippy deal enough to scare off hikers and bears? Or should i just get a horn? and what should it be a fat sumo wrestler squeezy bulb bar-buddy type guy or shude i go hiteck and get an electronic dohick that can play Dixie or sound like the ice cream truck is coming?

Please excuse the questions and don't tell me to use the search its just not my style. if i wanted to use the search and answer my own questions i wouldn't be posting here now wude i?

Here's what i'm looking at, tell me which one of these is best:

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...essories-bells

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...essories-bells

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...essories-bells

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...essories-bells

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...essories-bells


I kinda like this one especially what do you guys thinK?

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...essories-bells
You need one that looks like a big naked boobie and makes that "AAAAOOOOOOGAH" sound.
ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 11:27 AM   #4
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
You need one that looks like a big naked boobie and makes that "AAAAOOOOOOGAH" sound.
Nice......but he'll need one for each side.
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 11:37 AM   #5
dminor 
Moar cowbell
Thread Starter
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Do they have ones that make an "OOOOOOOOO-YEAH!" sound instead?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 12:18 PM   #6
BenLi
Hardrocker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about one that plays dixie?
BenLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 12:35 PM   #7
aL1
Senior Member
 
aL1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Bikes:
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
$6.99


Last edited by aL1; 12-19-09 at 08:17 AM.
aL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 12:36 PM   #8
mcoomer
Rat Bastard
 
mcoomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sammamish, WA
Bikes: Cannondale Prophet, Specialized S-Works SL2, Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Noob hack! That's the worst kind of noob!

Last edited by mcoomer; 07-17-09 at 12:42 PM.
mcoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 01:47 PM   #9
dminor 
Moar cowbell
Thread Starter
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
How bout that Bike Pipe? Supose to make real motorcycle noises. Nothin says "get the **** outa my way, please" like a good dirt bike sound Im thinking.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 02:28 PM   #10
Chris_F
World's slowest cyclist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Londonderry, NH
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about the one that says "hey, could you please move off the trail so I can go by?" Most folks have this horn/bell mounted under their helmet, just below their nose.

Failing that, I'd go with something like one of these:
http://www.kahlenberg.com/commer.html
Take note of the sound samples.
Chris_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 04:39 PM   #11
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy
 
born2bahick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: a lot
Posts: 3,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you go with a bell, I recommend one with the liquid filled compass.
On the other Doug, when we were kids we used clothespins to secure playing cards to the seat stays, and forks on the Schwinn orange crate. this made a machine gun sound until the cards got wore out. Nowadays there is a better material. Two liter pop bottles cut into strips. They are way louder and rawk hard when teamed with blue handle bar streamers! This way you don't have to make a dedicated movement to announce yourself. The sound is always there, to announce your presences with authority. Hope this helps.
born2bahick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 11:15 PM   #12
jjbod1
Senior Member
 
jjbod1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dacula,Ga
Bikes:
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Come on guysth, quit ripping on him. He is a shhhpecial kind of man. He just wants a bell for christ ssake.
jjbod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 09:15 PM   #13
Mondoman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: A Latvian in Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Get the Incredibell in one of its many versions. Other bells (especially the Zefal) are pieces of junk that either stop ringing after only a little use, or ding every time you hit a bump, making it sound like you're inside a pinball game!
Mondoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 12:45 AM   #14
dminor 
Moar cowbell
Thread Starter
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think I'll stick with my bear-bell that I bought in Whistler a few years ago - - a mini-cowbell. Strap it to my stem and annoys the crap outa whoever is around me

"I have a fever . . . and the only precription is . . . MORE COWBELL!"
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:27 AM.