Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-09, 06:40 PM   #1
kit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Peppi's
Bikes:
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Nashbar AT-1 Mountain Bike

Is there a reason that no one speaks of this bike? Is it evil and crappy? I'm looking for my first mountain bike to hit the tougher trails, and spending only $230 sounds nice.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0052_172828_-1
kit is offline  
Old 08-05-09, 10:17 PM   #2
n00bL35
=microburst=
 
n00bL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Bikes: Giant OCR3
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It looks alright, I suppose. But I imagine you could get a lot more bang for your buck in the used market. Keep an eye out on Craigslist for a lower end Cannondale, Specialized or Trek. You might have to wait a week or so, but you'd come out ahead. CL in my area has tons of bikes like this (especially Treks) because lots of fatties buy them, never use them and hock them with no wear for peanuts. Seriously, one week of patience should net you a nicer bike, with better components for the same money. You can also negotiate with folks on CL. Nashbar will steal your CC info and then take 3 weeks just to put your order in the mail. It took me a full month to get a pair of tires from them recently. Total shipping time - 3 days.
n00bL35 is offline  
Old 08-07-09, 03:01 PM   #3
kit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Peppi's
Bikes:
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They may be fat, but they're also tall! I never seem to see anything for the under 5'5" set. Also, I thought that buying used suspension forks is kind of a crapshoot, no? I'll keep looking...
kit is offline  
Old 08-07-09, 07:08 PM   #4
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy
 
born2bahick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: a lot
Posts: 3,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kit View Post
They may be fat, but they're also tall! I never seem to see anything for the under 5'5" set. Also, I thought that buying used suspension forks is kind of a crapshoot, no? I'll keep looking...
Excuse me but......... Huh?
born2bahick is offline  
Old 08-07-09, 07:15 PM   #5
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy
 
born2bahick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: a lot
Posts: 3,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OP Nashbar has had trouble in the last year of CC info theft. the recenctly sent out a confirmation letter to registered users stating such, and that a better security system is in place.
born2bahick is offline  
Old 08-08-09, 12:10 AM   #6
n00bL35
=microburst=
 
n00bL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Bikes: Giant OCR3
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 5'6" and found a suitable bike in about 1 week. It's a small size Cannondale F300, and fit me perfectly. I actually found out later that it's the girls model, and I am not a girl. While vowing to never tell any of my bike riding co-workers, it's a great bike.
n00bL35 is offline  
Old 08-08-09, 04:28 AM   #7
kit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Peppi's
Bikes:
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, thank you for the good advice, I'll be more tenacious with craigslist. I followed the nashbar thing a little, and I'm very glad to hear that they're back on track.
kit is offline  
Old 08-08-09, 08:52 AM   #8
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bL35 View Post
CL in my area has tons of bikes like this (especially Treks) because lots of fatties buy them, never use them and hock them with no wear for peanuts.
WHAT?? So are you saying that thinner people don't buy bikes and never use them?

In my ghetto term, "Yowze ignant mofo"

It might be wise to think about who reads this forum before you post such bogus statements and insult those who may not have such a fantastic body such as yours.

By the way, let's see how in shape you are. Post your pic.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 08-08-09 at 08:56 AM.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Old 08-08-09, 11:55 AM   #9
n00bL35
=microburst=
 
n00bL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Bikes: Giant OCR3
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
WHAT?? So are you saying that thinner people don't buy bikes and never use them?

In my ghetto term, "Yowze ignant mofo"

It might be wise to think about who reads this forum before you post such bogus statements and insult those who may not have such a fantastic body such as yours.

By the way, let's see how in shape you are. Post your pic.
Wow, could any person have over-reacted more to a post? As a matter of fact, it was simply a flippant statement not directed at any single person. I actually had in mind the post by the bike store owner about how he sells "$300 bikes to fatties, which is what keeps the lights on". It's a funny piece, although I'm not sure you'd appreciate it, seeing as your sense of humor is about as thick as your skin. Please note, the previous statement is what we like to call a "metaphor" and I'm not actually implying you have thicker skin than most people, or are fat in any way. Because of your obvious distress, I have forwarded $30 and box of Krispy Kremes to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to the Obese.

As far as a pic goes, I don't seem to have any that display the true roundness of my mid section, or my BMI of about 29. People might describe my body as "thick", "stocky", "jolly" or "portly" if they were being kind. If they were simply being honest, they might describe me as a fatty. Luckily, I don't give two ****s about what most people say, especially on a random forum post about the quality of Nashbar bikes...

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 08-08-09 at 11:45 PM. Reason: I fixed your spelling for you!
n00bL35 is offline  
Old 08-08-09, 08:29 PM   #10
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bL35 View Post
Wow, could any person have over-reacted more to a post? As a matter of fact, it was simply a flippant statement not directed at any single person. I actually had in mind the post by the bike store owner about how he sells "$300 bikes to fatties, which is what keeps the lights on". It's a funny piece, although I'm not sure you'd appreciate it, seeing as your sense of humor is about as thick as your skin. Please note, the previous statement is what we like to call a "metaphor" and I'm not actually implying you have thicker skin than most people, or are fat in any way. Because of your obvious distress, I have forwarded $30 and box of Krispy Kremes to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to the Obese.

As far as a pic goes, I don't seem to have any that display the true roundness of my mid section, or my BMI of about 29. People might describe my body as "thick", "stocky", "jolly" or "portly" if they were being kind. If they were simply being honest, they might describe me as a fatty. Luckily, I don't give two ****s about what most people say, especially on a random forum post about the quality of Nashbar bikes...
Right-O, I'm glad you straightened ME out. You are the perfect example of having a thick skin.

By the way, going around the censors is against forum guidelines. Just sayin'. But I fixed it for you because I'm cool like that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Old 08-08-09, 08:57 PM   #11
mzeffex 
Senior Member
 
mzeffex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Bikes: A Tarmac, a TCR, a Tipo Uno, a Grand Prix Luxe, an Anthem, a Norcross, a Claud Butler, and an SLM 2.0
Posts: 9,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You just got told by an admin
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Are they talking about spectators feeding the cyclists? You know, like don't feed the bears?
mzeffex is offline  
Old 08-08-09, 09:04 PM   #12
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy
 
born2bahick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: a lot
Posts: 3,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guess he is kind of a micro bursty kinda guy
born2bahick is offline  
Old 08-09-09, 09:48 AM   #13
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzeffex View Post
You just got told by an admin
Noooooooooo, he didn't get told..... I just didn't want him to get two infractions for insulting another member and for going around the censors, you know?

I try to give the benefit of the doubt to people at first. Some moderators are stricter than I am! But then again, that's what makes this place an enjoyable site to visit, the awesome moderation team we have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kit,

I second checking out Craigslist. You can get more for your money if you are patient and look around. A good idea is to look in the more affluent areas because I found that they are able to afford the top of the line bikes, don't have much time to ride them because they are working so hard and end up letting them go at a good price because they want to clean up the garage!

Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up with, okay?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 08-09-09 at 09:53 AM.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Old 08-09-09, 09:23 PM   #14
hanshananigan
Senior Member
 
hanshananigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Bikes: 2006 K2 Apache 6.0, 2001 K2 Razorback Team
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Noooooooooo, he didn't get told..... I just didn't want him to get two infractions for insulting another member and for going around the censors, you know?

I try to give the benefit of the doubt to people at first. Some moderators are stricter than I am! [snip]
VS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
[snip]...In my ghetto term, "Yowze ignant mofo"...[snip]
Um, am I missing something here? I would think that a moderator would find that implying that another member is an ignorant man who has intercourse with his mother is rather insulting and is going around the censors (by using a slang term that is simply a shortened form of an "F" word that would indeed be "censored") . Ms. Siu Blue Wind, you have many a helpful and/or entertaining posts on BF. I'm disappointed to see such an overblown, hypocritical series of posts. Or did I just miss the joke somewhere?

Last edited by hanshananigan; 08-09-09 at 09:47 PM.
hanshananigan is offline  
Old 08-09-09, 09:45 PM   #15
hanshananigan
Senior Member
 
hanshananigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Bikes: 2006 K2 Apache 6.0, 2001 K2 Razorback Team
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OP - the Nashbar bike might do fine on trails, but you will likely outgrow it quickly - you will want a lighter bike that can take more abuse, etc. The 50mm travel fork is the part I'd be most worried about - not much travel at all, and a mismatch between a fork (that likely has little if any ability to adjust) and rider style and rider weight and trail can really make for an unpleasant or even dangerous ride.

I second your concern about buying used bike, particularly regarding the condition of shocks and suspension forks. If you're new to biking you may not be able to spot a problem that could be worth $100s of dollars. If you see a CL bike you like, ask the seller about taking it to a LBS for an inspection first - split the difference in costs or something for a win-win.
hanshananigan is offline  
Old 08-09-09, 09:46 PM   #16
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is fun. My money is on Siu......
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline  
Old 08-09-09, 11:43 PM   #17
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanshananigan View Post
VS.


Um, am I missing something here? I would think that a moderator would find that implying that another member is an ignorant man who has intercourse with his mother is rather insulting and is going around the censors (by using a slang term that is simply a shortened form of an "F" word that would indeed be "censored") . Ms. Siu Blue Wind, you have many a helpful and/or entertaining posts on BF. I'm disappointed to see such an overblown, hypocritical series of posts. Or did I just miss the joke somewhere?
Awwwwwwwww man!! You DID miss the joke!! You certainly did.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 08-09-09 at 11:46 PM.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Old 08-10-09, 12:05 AM   #18
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ok, I think this may have ran it's course, time to move on...
__________________
Signature.
Dannihilator is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28 PM.