Advice on new front suspension forks - options inside
Guys, I need a replace my very old 1997 Rockshox Indy C elastin based suspension forks, they are completely shot and liable, at any moment, to throw my over the handle bars with the merest touch of the breaks.
The bike is a Giant ATX 860 19.5 inch frame, 26" wheels. It has 75mm from the tyre to the underside of the crown, and 55mm from the underside of the that u-thingy to the underside of the crown. I assume this means my current suspension forks are about 60mm travel? a2c (Axle to crown) 430mm. Hopefully I won't upset geometry too much?
I use the bike as a go anywhere. I mainly use it on the road for touring but like to jump on to dirt roads too - nothing hardcore. I took this bike to New Zealand for a month touring on the roads mostly but would take day trips into the mountains and it worked well.
So what I'm looking for in the fork is:
- shorter travel (like 80mm)
- low weight (2000g max - current fork is 1680g and want as close as I can get to that)
- low maintenance, uncomplicated, set and forget
- 100% coil springs suspension preferred over air suspension I think
- rim break mounts
- lock out that will last
- looking for bang for buck sweet spot - don't need super-awesome for this crappy old bike. I'm thinking once I get this back on the road I'll use it as a bang-around bike and build a proper 700C hybrid bike eg. Scott Sportster frame, Marzocchi TXC LO TK 2009 fork, Shimano XT group set etc.
I've done some research and come up with these choices:
- Suntour SF9-XCR LO 26' (unknown everything, weight???)
- Fox F80 RLT (can't find any info on this fork, but F80 suggests 80mm travel?)
- Fox 32 Vanilla R - coil with spring selection, 140mm travel (too much travel I think)
- SRAM ROCKSHOX Tora SL (302), air/coil, lockout, 2000g/2160g AU$360
- SRAM Rockshox Recon XC (SL no rim break mounts), turnkey lockout, coil, 1980g
- Magura Odur 100mm travel = 2000g = a2c473mm/85mm travel = 1980g = a2c453mm, coil, DLO Dynamic Lockout
- Marzocchi 33 TST2 2009, 80mm 100mm 120mm travel, coil with bumper left, TST2 right, 2300g
I'm leaning toward Tora SL (302) 2009 (2008 Tora leaked oil, is this still a problem?)
Have I missed any forks - what's the equivalent Fox fork to the Rockshox Tora? Is there one? Any other suggestions or advice very welcome - this has been far more complicated than I thought it would be.