Ok, so my Yukon FX3 came with SRAM SX4 shifters and rear derailleur. As many people have pointed out, they're not great. Shifting is clunky, and apparently the RD will explode soon.
1) Is it better to upgrade the derailleur or the shifters first? Or should I do both at once? What will give me the biggest benefit?
2) Am I stuck with SRAM? Ie, to switch to Shimano would I need to replace the cassette, chain rings and chain too?
3) What would be a good level to upgrade to? Let's say I want to spend around $100, maybe $200. (A bit hard to be precise on dollar figures because I'll actually be ordering from wiggle.co.uk)
4) How hard is replacing shifters? RD?
5) What's the deal with twist shifters? I thought they were basically for city bikes, but I see the SRAM Attack is primarily sold as a twist shifter.
6) Would it be silly to just upgrade one shifter (ie, the rear)?
7) I notice some of the shifters/derailleurs are 8 speed (which I need), some are 9. Are the 8 speed going to be obsolote any time soon?
Thanks for any help/suggestions!