Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I cant decide on a starter bike :(

    I been looking and researching and I just cant make a decision. Im 6'4" and lots of people are telling me to look into 29ers. I was at a shop checking out a GF Cobia and GF X-cal. They were nice, but I just cant spend that much. Since Im just getting into it I want to keep the price low incase I decide I dont like it or grad school overtakes my life lol (thats very likely). The cheapest 29er Ive seen is the Diamondback Overdrive. It comes with up to a 22" frame and has front/rear disk brakes. Seems nice, but Im still not sure. As for 26ers Ive been looking at, I like the Trek 4300, Specialized Hardrock sport disc, and GF Wahoo. What are your thoughts? Is it really worth the extra money for a 29ers given that Im just a beginner? I figured that the whole 29er thing is fairly new so guys my size must have been content with 26ers before lol.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #3
    omygodomygod TwinCam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    yay area ca
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who is 6'4" and last year he switched from 26 to 29. From my vantage point it seemed like a great move because he always looked cheated in terms of cog/attack angle on the 26" wheels.

    He like his mamasita alot which is good because he paid alot for it. Truth be told, I think he descended faster on the 26 wheeled bike. And never yearned for larger wheels until they became available.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont doubt that 29ers are better, but is the price difference really justified considering im a noob whos broke? lol

  5. #5
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your budget? I'll assume as low as possible, and maybe you'll want to go to a dualie down the road if you really like the sport.

    5 years ago I purchased a Trek 4300 hardtail, upgraded the crank, added a Thudbuster suspension seatpost and proceeded to beat it to death. lol It does the job.
    I was 227lbs at the time, now i'm 200lbs even, it can take the heavy guys.
    Components that you'll want to upgrade down the road is the shock and the groupo; i recently changed all the Alivio stuff to Deore LX, changed the rear wheel, and the yes the brakes too. Went with a basic Rock Shox Dart 2.0. Normal wear for all of those changes cause i really beat it hard.
    I'd say the Thudbuster is the best investment i did on this bike, it has saved my back many many many times over. Without it, keep the chiropractor's number close by.
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well...ive got enough money to pretty much buy whatever, but i should really be saving it for rent and utilities lol. that said, id like to keep it under $700. that trek 4300 does look promising. my uncle said hes got a 21" wahoo (i think) hed sell me for $150.

  7. #7
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    well...ive got enough money to pretty much buy whatever, but i should really be saving it for rent and utilities lol. that said, id like to keep it under $700. that trek 4300 does look promising. my uncle said hes got a 21" wahoo (i think) hed sell me for $150.
    I'm 6'1 with a 33" inseam and have a 19.5" frame. Depending on your inseam, you could probably fit on the 21".
    For $150, assuming it's still in good shape, you could make a few upgrades and ride the hell out of it.
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
    I'm 6'1 with a 33" inseam and have a 19.5" frame. Depending on your inseam, you could probably fit on the 21".
    For $150, assuming it's still in good shape, you could make a few upgrades and ride the hell out of it.
    Yeah I left him a voicemail askin for pix. $150 seems really cheap, but he IS my uncle so maybe he's just letting it go cheap?

    I don't know what my inseem is. I just got a new suit in january too lol. Also, I don't think I meantioned but I'm 265lbs if that makes a difference lol

  9. #9
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    Yeah I left him a voicemail askin for pix. $150 seems really cheap, but he IS my uncle so maybe he's just letting it go cheap?

    I don't know what my inseem is. I just got a new suit in january too lol. Also, I don't think I meantioned but I'm 265lbs if that makes a difference lol
    Take a measuring tape, floor to your crotch area, but not tight. This is an approximate length as some will tell you to get a pro bike fit measurement done.

    Does he use it for mtb or road only? If mtb, you may need to ask a bike store to advise if you will need to change some parts. If road, likely to be in good shape, all things being equal.

    For your size and weight, you'll most likely see your wheels go out of true pretty fast, as they are low end. You can run them to the ground and change later.

    The Alivio shifting components that come standard with this bike will get you going, but may not always respond well due to the pressure you'll be applying on them. If this happens, just ease up when shifting.
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God, Im so freakin impulsive! lol

    I just went to the shop (East Coasters of Blacksburg, VA) and ordered a 2010 Gary Fisher Mamba 29er with 21" frame. It was $900, more than I wanted to spend but not too bad. It sucks too...they had a 2009 Cobia on closeout for $950, but it was 19"

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx for all the input though

  12. #12
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    Thanx for all the input though
    No worries! Enjoy your new ride!
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx, hope i do!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
    What's your budget? I'll assume as low as possible, and maybe you'll want to go to a dualie down the road if you really like the sport.

    5 years ago I purchased a Trek 4300 hardtail, upgraded the crank, added a Thudbuster suspension seatpost and proceeded to beat it to death. lol It does the job.
    I was 227lbs at the time, now i'm 200lbs even, it can take the heavy guys.
    Components that you'll want to upgrade down the road is the shock and the groupo; i recently changed all the Alivio stuff to Deore LX, changed the rear wheel, and the yes the brakes too. Went with a basic Rock Shox Dart 2.0. Normal wear for all of those changes cause i really beat it hard.
    I'd say the Thudbuster is the best investment i did on this bike, it has saved my back many many many times over. Without it, keep the chiropractor's number close by.
    I'm new to the sport and just picked up a '09 TREK 4300 Disc. After discovering this forum post bike purchase, I have been overwhelmed with buyers remorse as it appears that everyone here rides something waaaay nicer. But it's my first bike since I was a kid and I live in FLAT Florida where I'm just hitting the local trails for fun on the weekends and the local streets during the week for exercise. I'm 6'4" as well and had to go with the 22.5" frame as I have a lot of my height in my legs.

    Glad to hear that it has treated someone else well and hopefully it will do the same for me (I do have plans to upgrade the fork and crank though).

    For my purposes would people say that it's a good/appropriate bike or was the purchase a mistake?

  15. #15
    Senior Member surfengine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Laguna Hills
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    well...ive got enough money to pretty much buy whatever, but i should really be saving it for rent and utilities lol. that said, id like to keep it under $700. that trek 4300 does look promising. my uncle said hes got a 21" wahoo (i think) hed sell me for $150.
    for $700 you can get the 2009 trek 6000. probably $650 or lower.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •