Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-09, 11:02 PM   #1
Dion Rides
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
First Ride - Motobecane Fantom Pro Titanium

Back from the Maiden Voyage Ride on my new Motobecane Fantom Pro Titanium. The bike handled well, the fork rules, and I had a fun time negotiating climbing and descending the single track rock gardens. I climbed up the steepest, highest peak of the local mountain range via some fire roads (1155 ft. in less than a mile. That sh|t was STEEP). The photos don't do it justice, let alone the brutal climb to get up.

Pros:
  • Price (of course)
  • Components; shifted on command
  • SID race fork is excellent... lock out rules!
  • Light weight (see cons)
  • Rode exactly the way a XC bike should and climbed like a champ.

Cons:
  • Weight in the ad was slightly deceiving. It's advertised as a sub 22lb. bike, but my 18" is 25lbs. I know they were saying that the 21.5 lb. was for a 14" bike, but didn't expect two sizes up would add 3 lbs. I guess 25 lbs. is not bad, though. I'll get some lighter tires in the future.
  • Can't post this thread without somebody getting in a Bikes Direct hissy fit. I have 3 Motobecanes and love them all.

I'm taking it on some Santa Cruz single tracks next weekend. Let's see how this thing works in the woods.



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 12:34 AM   #2
jjbod1
Senior Member
 
jjbod1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dacula,Ga
Bikes:
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
25 lbs is not that heavy IMO. If it works and you like it
jjbod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 12:52 AM   #3
FlatSix911
Senior Member
 
FlatSix911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Altos, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Nice bike ... thanks for posting.
FlatSix911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 01:27 AM   #4
DenisMenchov
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That with or without pedals though? My FS 29er stumpjumper is like 27 pounds and it's aluminum. I guess aluminum isn't that heavier than titanium. Titanium is better for sure though. Can't wait until BD makes an FS Ti 29er.
DenisMenchov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 08:06 AM   #5
Dion Rides
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbod1 View Post
25 lbs is not that heavy IMO. If it works and you like it
Yeah, it's not bad. I was just pumped to get a 22 lb. bike


Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisMenchov View Post
That with or without pedals though? My FS 29er stumpjumper is like 27 pounds and it's aluminum. I guess aluminum isn't that heavier than titanium. Titanium is better for sure though. Can't wait until BD makes an FS Ti 29er.
That's with a set of eggbeater MXR pedals - WHICH, by the way, suck ass. They have already loosened at the spindle on one ride. Good for a beater bike/grocery getter, bad for MTB.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 08:11 AM   #6
DenisMenchov
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, that's with pedals? Then that's pretty dang light.
DenisMenchov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 05:54 PM   #7
fskywalker
Senior Member
 
fskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Puerto Rico
Bikes: Look 566 Medium, Giant TCR C1 Small
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sweet ride, do you highly recommend it to others?
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 06:03 PM   #8
sooprvylyn
I suck, but you're worse
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: LA
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Rides View Post
Pros:
  • Price (of course)
  • Components; shifted on command
  • SID race fork is excellent... lock out rules!
  • Light weight (see cons)
  • Rode exactly the way a XC bike should and climbed like a champ.

Cons:
  • Weight in the ad was slightly deceiving. It's advertised as a sub 22lb. bike, but my 18" is 25lbs. I know they were saying that the 21.5 lb. was for a 14" bike, but didn't expect two sizes up would add 3 lbs. I guess 25 lbs. is not bad, though. I'll get some lighter tires in the future.
  • Can't post this thread without somebody getting in a Bikes Direct hissy fit. I have 3 Motobecanes and love them all.
I wont knock you for buying online, IMHO brick and mortars need to be competitive if they want to stay in the game. If they cant do it with price then they need to do it with service. I buy ALL of my stuff online because i know how to work on my own stuff. Why should I pay my LBS 25%+ more than I can get it online?

BTW-Love my Moto Fantom Cross Uno- Frame purchased at Bikeisland.com
sooprvylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 09:30 PM   #9
FlatSix911
Senior Member
 
FlatSix911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Altos, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisMenchov View Post
That with or without pedals though? My FS 29er stumpjumper is like 27 pounds and it's aluminum. I guess aluminum isn't that heavier than titanium. Titanium is better for sure though. Can't wait until BD makes an FS Ti 29er.
BD now makes a Ti 29er ...

Shimano XTR 27Spd 2010 Motobecane FLY Team 29er Titanium $1,999
3AL/2.5V Titanium Frame, FSA CRANKS, XTR, 100mm Rockshox Reba 29 + Avid Disc Brakes, Vuelta Team SL Wheels

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...TI_29_2010.htm
FlatSix911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 11:05 PM   #10
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
Posts: 1,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooprvylyn View Post
I wont knock you for buying online, IMHO brick and mortars need to be competitive if they want to stay in the game. If they cant do it with price then they need to do it with service. I buy ALL of my stuff online because i know how to work on my own stuff. Why should I pay my LBS 25%+ more than I can get it online?

BTW-Love my Moto Fantom Cross Uno- Frame purchased at Bikeisland.com

Yup. LBS (more than one) wanted $550+install+tax for the Disc Brake set I was looking at.

I bought the same Brakes for $380+tax online. Install is the same price. Savings...about $200.
WorldIRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 PM.