Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ATB Icons /legends...(real ones!)

    I'm not one to idolize people...quite the opposite really. I usually try to find fault in them to make myself feel better. The only ones I haven't been able to put beneath me yet are ddac, Cheeto, and pcad...but their times are coming.

    Who are the legends? Who's gonna be one? (is it possible to become legendary at this point?)

    My vote is spawned from Dan's post about Steve Peat. He's the British PIMP. Cop glasses and all. Then there's HB...I love that freakin' dork. I used to put Gary Fisher up there b/c of his marketing savvy and all he's done to get good bikes into blue-collar hands...but he's probably caused as many "marketing hype" negatives as he has marketing positives. Still though...he deserves props. Mr. Kelly...there's a good one. Go to his website sometime...great history there, CK! I had B.Lopes on a pedestal until I heard about how arrogant he could be...now I just don't know. He's a fun person to watch race though. The King of Smooth. How 'bout Eric Carter!!! Yah man! He's old, he's fast, he's always smiling! Hans Rey? Hans Rey! Missy the Missle Giove!! Tomac is in there somewhere.



    It's going to be difficult for any new kid to become a MTB legend I presume. There's something about the history and development involved in early MTB culture and evolution that makes the older crowd stand out. It's like with sk8boarding...nobody...no matter how many consecutive flip tricks or rotations they will incorporate into a run will be as legendary as Tony Hawk. The early Bones Brigade and SC/Dogtown sk8ers that helped shape the early stages of the sport are the ones who become legends.

    Will they remain fixtures, or will they fade away:

    Andreu Lacondeguy is headed the right direction but I don't know how much more he could incorporate into a run...we'll see how time treats the kid. I think he's gonna have to cross over and sweep WCDH to reach it.
    Aaron Chase...great attitude, great style. I could see him using his popularity to progress the sport and awareness.
    Same with Ryan Leech...sure, there are better trials guys, but he's pushing for something bigger than "no dabbing". Have to keep and eye on him to see where he's taking it.
    I think Palmers come-back could seal the deal for him...we'll see how well he races now, but his "I don't give a flyin'...attitude" back in the day was pretty refreshing against the "clean cut" crowd.
    Last edited by ed; 09-06-09 at 09:28 AM.

  2. #2
    sarcasm meter: jerk mode santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
    Posts
    4,512
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One name: junkyard.

    Close the thread.
    First Class Jerk

  3. #3
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew that was coming, but I figured it would be with 66's icon Gastro

  4. #4
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony Alva is the legend!

    As far as mountainbikes go you should be kicked in the nuts and peppersrayed for not even giving mention to Ned Overend. What the hell is wrong with you?When I started riding he was the man...and can still bring it. You should not be able to post for six months for this screw up.
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  5. #5
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG...how could I???!!!

    I'm taking a vow of silence.

  6. #6
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Un-shun...

    Steve Tilford (from my town)

    The first NORBA Nationals in 1983, would also be his first mountain bike race. The race was held in the hills outside Santa Barbara, California. The day before the Championships he received his mountain bike, a custom Moots, and did a practice lap, which took over 1 1/2 hours to complete. At that rate, with a 5 lap race, Steve estimated it would be a 5-6 hour event. The climb was steep fire road and took nearly 45 minutes to get to the top. The decent was single-track. On the morning of the race, the weather was bad, it was cold and raining. Steve wore two jerseys, both for warmth and in order to have 6 pockets to pack all his stuff, including a peanut butter sandwich, numerous tools and tubes. Steve won the race, and became our first NORBA National Champion.


    Re-shun.

  7. #7
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,755
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I second Ned Overend and Tomac.

    Add Jacquie Phelan, Tinker Juarez (still racing!), maybe Greg Herbold,

    And of course all the early days folk, Joe Breeze, the aforementioned Gary Fisher, some of the other dudes in Klunkerz...
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  8. #8
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tinkers insane.....

    I can think of a few guys who got the mountainbike ball rolling here in Pisgah back in the day but no one knows who they are.
    Right now my favorite guys are Wade Simmons (repping for us older guys) and Vanderham, style and flow like no other.
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  9. #9
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody heard of the British Columbians?

  10. #10
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Anybody heard of the British Columbians?
    The drug cartel???
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  11. #11
    Don't really have a bike. craigcraigcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boulder CO
    Posts
    3,335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Un-shun...




    Re-shun.

  12. #12
    use your best eye kenhill3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    My Bikes
    '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Posts
    3,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    OMG...how could I???!!!

    I'm taking a vow of silence.
    Can I help make that happen, Cap'n?
    "I tell you, We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut jr.

  13. #13
    use your best eye kenhill3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    My Bikes
    '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Posts
    3,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    I'm not one to idolize people...quite the opposite really. I usually try to find fault in them to make myself feel better. The only ones I haven't been able to put beneath me yet are ddac, Cheeto, and pcad...but their times are coming.

    Who are the legends? Who's gonna be one? (is it possible to become legendary at this point?)

    My vote is spawned from Dan's post about Steve Peat. He's the British PIMP. Cop glasses and all. Then there's HB...I love that freakin' dork. I used to put Gary Fisher up there b/c of his marketing savvy and all he's done to get good bikes into blue-collar hands...but he's probably caused as many "marketing hype" negatives as he has marketing positives. Still though...he deserves props. Mr. Kelly...there's a good one. Go to his website sometime...great history there, CK! I had B.Lopes on a pedestal until I heard about how arrogant he could be...now I just don't know. He's a fun person to watch race though. The King of Smooth. How 'bout Eric Carter!!! Yah man! He's old, he's fast, he's always smiling! Hans Rey? Hans Rey! Missy the Missle Giove!! Tomac is in there somewhere.



    It's going to be difficult for any new kid to become a MTB legend I presume. There's something about the history and development involved in early MTB culture and evolution that makes the older crowd stand out. It's like with sk8boarding...nobody...no matter how many consecutive flip tricks or rotations they will incorporate into a run will be as legendary as Tony Hawk. The early Bones Brigade and SC/Dogtown sk8ers that helped shape the early stages of the sport are the ones who become legends.

    Will they remain fixtures, or will they fade away:

    Andreu Lacondeguy is headed the right direction but I don't know how much more he could incorporate into a run...we'll see how time treats the kid. I think he's gonna have to cross over and sweep WCDH to reach it.
    Aaron Chase...great attitude, great style. I could see him using his popularity to progress the sport and awareness.
    Same with Ryan Leech...sure, there are better trials guys, but he's pushing for something bigger than "no dabbing". Have to keep and eye on him to see where he's taking it.
    I think Palmers come-back could seal the deal for him...we'll see how well he races now, but his "I don't give a flyin'...attitude" back in the day was pretty refreshing against the "clean cut" crowd.
    Ed, are you gonna start submitting your writing? That was a very well done intro/in a nutshell for this topic.

    I thing that Ned is totally enshrined.

    Juli Furtado is on my version of the gals' short list.

    And, yeah, Cheeto in the sideshow category.
    "I tell you, We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut jr.

  14. #14
    Senior Member zeo_max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alabama, boy !
    My Bikes
    FUJI Nevada 1.0 2009
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Thread closed. Period.

  15. #15
    Dion Rides
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    It's going to be difficult for any new kid to become a MTB legend I presume.
    The days of BMX guys like Matt Hoffman, Kevin Jones (flatlander) and skaters like Tony Hawk are gone. I feel it's the internet's fault. Growing up, we just saw these guys in magazines and scratchy copies of copies of copies of VHS dubbed tapes over your Dad's football game. The mystic is gone - we didn't know if these riders/skaters were complete ******** or angels... we just idolized their style and mag coverage.

    The new legends come these days, but are quickly shown up through YouTube videos of some lone kid in Alaska doing something nuttier and nuttier than the next guy. Tailwhips and backflips are seen at almost every ramp or dirtjump park across the country nowadays. BITD, when we saw something like that our heads would pop off our necks and explode on the ground. Now those tricks come standard with every 14 yr. old with some balls.

    The new legends coming out of MTB will be DH, freeride or DJ. It's all EXTREEEEEEEMMMMEE! and it's what the kids love to drop jaw to when drinking 14 cans of energy drinks. Among the climbers and crossers, I really feel Lance Armstrong is going to make a huge impact and raise the bar for pro XC riders - maybe even get the roadie snobs out of their ivory towers and see the benefits of MTB.

  16. #16
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Dion...well said.

  17. #17
    use your best eye kenhill3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    My Bikes
    '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Posts
    3,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance has most certainly earned a place as a road legend.

    MTB? Not so much............

    Give him a little time, tho.
    "I tell you, We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut jr.

  18. #18
    Senior Member zeo_max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alabama, boy !
    My Bikes
    FUJI Nevada 1.0 2009
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenhill3 View Post
    Lance has most certainly earned a place as a road legend.

    MTB? Not so much............

    Give him a little time, tho.
    A little time huh ? How about 30 minutes ahead of Dave Wiens on 2009 Leadville 100 for a little time......

  19. #19
    Bad Company dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    are awesome.
    Posts
    12,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Then there's HB...I love that freakin' dork.
    HB cut the course . . . .


    I'd put Bob Fox and Mert Lawwill in the Legend category for sure.

    Also: Shaun Palmer, Missy Giove, April Lawyer and Marla Streb. Palmer because, even though he 's a bad boy, he did EVERYTHING he did well - - from bikes to snowboarding to MX. Missy because she's . . . well . . . Missy. And April and Marla because they helped legitimize the women as true competitors in the gravity disciplines.
    Last edited by dminor; 09-06-09 at 08:04 PM.

  20. #20
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo_max View Post
    A little time huh ? How about 30 minutes ahead of Dave Wiens on 2009 Leadville 100 for a little time......
    ....so. He won a race, nothing ground breaking there.
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  21. #21
    To be continued Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    19,072
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo_max View Post


    Thread closed. Period.
    A resounding no on Armstrong, keep that roadie out of this.


    I'm saying Steve Peat, he's a frikken machine, and has pretty much won everything in the dh world, owns the UCI record for world cup victories in DH.

    Brian Lopes, THE best Slalom/4x rider in the sport. Got a top 20 at worlds this year in the DH, which isn't his specialty.

    Cedric Gracia, probably one of the best all around riders, has won in Pro DH and was the 2003 Redbull Rampage winner, which is a freeride event.

    Anne Caroline Chausson, dominated the women's side of the World Cup when she was racing, ended her Career with a Gold Medal in BMX racing at the Bejiing Olympics last year.

    Can't have a list without the Alien, Nicolas Vouilloz. Overend had Tomac, Peat had the Alien.

    Not so many come to mind in the xc side that haven't been mentioned.

    Alison Dunlop.

    Ryder Hesjedal.

    Legends that are in the making.

    Sam Hill, words can't describe him.

    Jared Graves, picked right up where Lopes left off. Vicious starter on the gates.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  22. #22
    Official Website Waterboy born2bahick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    3,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm legend in my own mind, Junkyard is an Icon,. Some of the local heroes will be at Wilson Res tomorrow.

  23. #23
    Bad Company dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    are awesome.
    Posts
    12,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^I learned of the existence today of a T-shirt that I think I just gotta have. Says:

    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."

  24. #24
    Senior Member zeo_max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alabama, boy !
    My Bikes
    FUJI Nevada 1.0 2009
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannihilator View Post
    A resounding no on Armstrong, keep that roadie out of this.
    Does that look like a road bike to you ?

  25. #25
    Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder Zephyr11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between heaven and hell
    My Bikes
    '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone
    Posts
    3,519
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo_max View Post
    Does that look like a road bike to you ?
    Sitting in a garage does not make one a car...

    Leadville or not, when I think mountain biking legends, Lance just doesn't come to mind. I guess that he could become an extremely legit XC racer, if winning Leadville didn't already establish him as one, but when I think mountain biking legends, I guess I just automatically think of people like the ones who were named on this thread, who established themselves as mountain bikers (or as BMXers turned mountain bikers), not people who built their reputation as roadies and entered a random mountain bike race. Only other people I would consider maybe adding to the list who aren't already named are Kyle Strait, Mark Weir, and the Athertons. Probably not as iconic as guys like Lopes and Peat, but they're doing some crazy stuff.
    Last edited by Zephyr11; 09-06-09 at 11:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •