Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member ProEdgeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sunny, FL
    My Bikes
    Custom 09' Epic Comp
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    04' Hardrock Pro Disc WARRANTY Question

    A friend of mine(original owner) found a Crack on the Head Tube of his Hardrock pro while cleaning the bike, is he S.O.L.? or is there anything that Specialized or the LBS he bought it from will do for him?


    Thanks!
    http://proedgebiker.com/products/seasucker-bike-racks/ - SeaSucker Racks
    http://proedgebiker.com/products/drift-innovation-cameras/ - DRIFT GHOST CAMS

  2. #2
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take it in to the LBS he got it from...see what they say. I'll bet your bud gets a new frame.

  3. #3
    Senior Member ProEdgeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sunny, FL
    My Bikes
    Custom 09' Epic Comp
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i hope he does, he's like ashamed of going in there alone.
    http://proedgebiker.com/products/seasucker-bike-racks/ - SeaSucker Racks
    http://proedgebiker.com/products/drift-innovation-cameras/ - DRIFT GHOST CAMS

  4. #4
    worship satan. johnnytheboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!!
    My Bikes
    all of them.
    Posts
    2,351
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    specialized's carry a lifetime warranty on the frame.
    one of the best companies to deal with in this situation too, imo.
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/johnnytheboy
    ^pedalroom.

  5. #5
    Senior Member ProEdgeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sunny, FL
    My Bikes
    Custom 09' Epic Comp
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the guy at the LBS said that there was a Batch of Hardrocks from around those years that had the same problem, it was due to the Headset being pressed on with too much force.
    anyhow,
    Lifetime warranty on Spesh frames helped out, he will be getting a brand new frame and may have the option to upgrade to a different frame for some $$$ out of pocket.
    http://proedgebiker.com/products/seasucker-bike-racks/ - SeaSucker Racks
    http://proedgebiker.com/products/drift-innovation-cameras/ - DRIFT GHOST CAMS

  6. #6
    Bike Junkie roccobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Posts
    8,925
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker View Post
    the guy at the LBS said that there was a Batch of Hardrocks from around those years that had the same problem, it was due to the Headset being pressed on with too much force.
    anyhow,
    Lifetime warranty on Spesh frames helped out, he will be getting a brand new frame and may have the option to upgrade to a different frame for some $$$ out of pocket.
    He should look at upgrading to a Rockhopper frame. If he can get an 09 Rockhopper, it's an M-4 frame similiar to the Stumpy from 04.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

  7. #7
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what he uses the bike for, rocco. I'd prefer the HR over the RH. Actually prefer a P.AM to both.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ProEdgeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sunny, FL
    My Bikes
    Custom 09' Epic Comp
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    He should look at upgrading to a Rockhopper frame. If he can get an 09 Rockhopper, it's an M-4 frame similiar to the Stumpy from 04.
    I also 2nd that on the RH. it's a great bike for XC for someone who is just getting into the sport.

    Actually it was on the Stumpy till 06' and on the Sworks till 01' (if i'm not mistaken)
    http://proedgebiker.com/products/seasucker-bike-racks/ - SeaSucker Racks
    http://proedgebiker.com/products/drift-innovation-cameras/ - DRIFT GHOST CAMS

  9. #9
    Senior Member ProEdgeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sunny, FL
    My Bikes
    Custom 09' Epic Comp
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    damn!!! my boy is getting a Stumpy frame!
    http://proedgebiker.com/products/seasucker-bike-racks/ - SeaSucker Racks
    http://proedgebiker.com/products/drift-innovation-cameras/ - DRIFT GHOST CAMS

  10. #10
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awe yeah!

  11. #11
    Senior Member ProEdgeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sunny, FL
    My Bikes
    Custom 09' Epic Comp
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all he has to do is buy a fork for it. Spesh only gave a $60 credit for the fork after talking to the LBS that the bike is worthless if its unrideable, original fork was not compatible with the 2010 frame.

    It was a lil dissapointing that Spesh pretty much said, here's a nice frame but you cant ride it.
    http://proedgebiker.com/products/seasucker-bike-racks/ - SeaSucker Racks
    http://proedgebiker.com/products/drift-innovation-cameras/ - DRIFT GHOST CAMS

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker View Post
    all he has to do is buy a fork for it. Spesh only gave a $60 credit for the fork after talking to the LBS that the bike is worthless if its unrideable, original fork was not compatible with the 2010 frame.

    It was a lil dissapointing that Spesh pretty much said, here's a nice frame but you cant ride it.
    What makes his old fork is incompatible? Fork travel?
    The Stumpjumper is supposed to take a 90mm fork.
    The 2004 Hardrock Pro was spec'ed with a 100mm fork.
    I would just use the old fork. I don't think that he'll find an aftermarket 90mm fork anyway. It's pretty much either 80mm or 100mm. I've got no idea why Specialized uses this goofy 90mm standard.

    He will need a new headset, though. They are internal on Stumpjumpers now.

  13. #13
    Senior Member ProEdgeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sunny, FL
    My Bikes
    Custom 09' Epic Comp
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plasticmaam12 View Post
    What makes his old fork is incompatible? Fork travel?
    The Stumpjumper is supposed to take a 90mm fork.
    The 2004 Hardrock Pro was spec'ed with a 100mm fork.
    I would just use the old fork. I don't think that he'll find an aftermarket 90mm fork anyway. It's pretty much either 80mm or 100mm. I've got no idea why Specialized uses this goofy 90mm standard.

    He will need a new headset, though. They are internal on Stumpjumpers now.
    Steer tube not long enough.
    http://proedgebiker.com/products/seasucker-bike-racks/ - SeaSucker Racks
    http://proedgebiker.com/products/drift-innovation-cameras/ - DRIFT GHOST CAMS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •