Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-04, 02:15 PM   #1
Team853
Slowpoke
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Bikes: 2000 Norco Team 853
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm currently running an 8-speed setup and I was wondering if anyone knows of good outlets (preferably online) to buy 8-speed parts from. I realize they're getting harder to come by, but I'd like to put off making the jump to 9-speed for awhile, mostly due to the cost involved, but also because I'm more or less happy with the 8-speed.

Right now everything is running well, but I anticipate needing a new cassette next season, and possibly a replacement for my XTR rear derailleur somewhere down the line.

I'm hoping to stockpile some parts so that I have them when I need them. I'm looking for higher end stuff (XT, XTR level).
Team853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 02:22 PM   #2
Portis
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
Posts: 6,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team853
I'm currently running an 8-speed setup and I was wondering if anyone knows of good outlets (preferably online) to buy 8-speed parts from. I realize they're getting harder to come by, but I'd like to put off making the jump to 9-speed for awhile, mostly due to the cost involved, but also because I'm more or less happy with the 8-speed.

Right now everything is running well, but I anticipate needing a new cassette next season, and possibly a replacement for my XTR rear derailleur somewhere down the line.

I'm hoping to stockpile some parts so that I have them when I need them. I'm looking for higher end stuff (XT, XTR level).
I think you can pick up 8 spd stuff about anywhere online. I see a lot of it on Jenson and PricePoint etc. I really don't have a good reply but am curious about the future of 8 speed. I asked my LBS guys about 8 speed being extinct and they said, look out there on the floor there are a bunch of current year 8 speed bikes for sale. They say i won't have any trouble getting 8 speed stuff for my bikes.

I have to say that so far they haven't had any trouble as they simply just order it and replace whatever i break. So what is the deal? Can somebody say for sure what the future is? It seems odd that they would be selling 04 model stuff and not planning on having components available for it.
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 02:33 PM   #3
Team853
Slowpoke
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Bikes: 2000 Norco Team 853
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
I think you can pick up 8 spd stuff about anywhere online. I see a lot of it on Jenson and PricePoint etc. I really don't have a good reply but am curious about the future of 8 speed. I asked my LBS guys about 8 speed being extinct and they said, look out there on the floor there are a bunch of current year 8 speed bikes for sale. They say i won't have any trouble getting 8 speed stuff for my bikes.

I have to say that so far they haven't had any trouble as they simply just order it and replace whatever i break. So what is the deal? Can somebody say for sure what the future is? It seems odd that they would be selling 04 model stuff and not planning on having components available for it.
There's still Deore-level stuff out there, but it seems to be getting harder and harder to find higher end stuff (not really a surprise since they've stopped making it). I'd love to get my hands on an unused 8-speed XTR rear derailleur, for example, but I can't find one.
Team853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 02:39 PM   #4
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
One good thing is that the 8-spd hubs are 9-spd compatible so you don't need a new wheelset when converting.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 07:06 PM   #5
Portis
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
Posts: 6,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team853
There's still Deore-level stuff out there, but it seems to be getting harder and harder to find higher end stuff (not really a surprise since they've stopped making it). I'd love to get my hands on an unused 8-speed XTR rear derailleur, for example, but I can't find one.

How long will Deore level stuff be available in your opinion? It just seems screwed up that there are so many "8 speeds" being sold and supposedly they are not going to have replacement parts available. ANyone have any links to any reliable info?
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 08:03 AM   #6
KrisA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Regina, SK, CA
Bikes: 2002 Rocky HT
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
9-speed rear derailers, front derailers, chain rings, chains all work fine with 8 speed, as I'm running all of these on an 8-speed. Only trick is shifters and cassettes. Currently I'm running Alivio shifters, and I think they work fine. In fact I can barely tell a difference between my friends bike with LX shifters. I pull the triggers, the bike shifts what more can I ask for? For cassettes the SRAM 5.0 is ace, and for $30 bucks CDN an absolute steel!
KrisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-04, 02:39 PM   #7
Roostalee
Member
 
Roostalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
9-speed is such a crock. I have a bike with each setup (8- and 9- speed), and it irks me that Shimano abandoned quality 8-speed parts. There's nothing discernably improved by the addition of ONE cassette ring. But having worked in marketing in a past life, I understand the market value in introducing something new. Kinda like Campy's 10-spd road stuff (egad).

As far as finding parts, EBay can make your life easier, providing you're patient. I can still find some 8-spd stuff at Jenson or Pricepoint, but it's getting harder to find at these outlets. I see a fair amount of NOS 8-spd stuff on Ebay, and like mentioned before, some of the mega-9 stuff is backwards compatible with 8-spd drivetrains.

I don't mix SRAM with Shimano but I hear a lot of folks have good luck with it. I tried a SRAM PC58 chain on my 8-spd rig, and it didn't like my Shimano drivetrain. I found an IG90 chain online and all is good again.
Roostalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-04, 09:26 PM   #8
willtsmith_nwi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team853
There's still Deore-level stuff out there, but it seems to be getting harder and harder to find higher end stuff (not really a surprise since they've stopped making it). I'd love to get my hands on an unused 8-speed XTR rear derailleur, for example, but I can't find one.
Derailers aren't specific to the number of gears. The only thing you have to watch for is the cable actuation ratio. There is Shimano/Shimano Compatible (2:1) and SRAM (1:1). Both SRAM and Shimano come in 8 and 9 speed varieties.

The cassettes themselves are agnostic as to SRAM vs Shimano. However, the rear cassette DOES have to match the shifter in the number of gears.

Assuming your using Shimano equipment, just by your XTR derailleur and you'll be fine. Better yet, make the switch to the SRAM 1:1 cable actuation. It's pretty popular these days. SRAM derailers also have pullies built in to avoid that big loop of cable hanging off the deraileur and all the friction that comes with it.
willtsmith_nwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 AM.