Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-04, 01:00 AM   #1
aznboi133
Endo Lover
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes: *none*
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stump Jumping??? HOW DO U DO IT???

who noes how to stump jump and rock hop and log hop basically how do u make ur front and back wheeps hop like a "bunny" LOL yea i just wanna noe how do u make ur bike jump.... i was envious today when this guy zoomed by me and then made a few hops to show off... i guess he was just trying to rub it in.. but i still wanna learn
aznboi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 01:10 AM   #2
miles305
mouse
 
miles305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: slo ca.
Bikes: giant tcr, s-works mtb, bianchi fixie
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
try this, in an easy gear rollforward at about 15mph, while standing bounce forward compressing your shock, as the shock rebounds jump straight up pulling the bike with you. this should give you a decent bunnyhop.
miles305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 01:13 AM   #3
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First off welcome to the Forums Secondly this is NOT AOL chat "u" and "ur" are not acceptable here "you" and "your" are. Please read the Forum Guidelines Using Internet shorthand is the mark of an illiterate child which I can only assume you are not. Although you may prove me wrong.
By the way It's knows not noes
__________________

Last edited by Raiyn; 08-04-04 at 01:24 PM.
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 01:16 AM   #4
aznboi133
Endo Lover
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes: *none*
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i dont noe wat to do with my feet tohugh... all it does is bring the front pritty darn high.... and i just look like a stoopid ass trying to do wheels in the street LOL
aznboi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 01:28 AM   #5
aznboi133
Endo Lover
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes: *none*
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
First off welcome to the Forums Secondly this is NOT AOL chat "u" and "ur" are not acceptable here "you" and "your" are. Pleas read the Forum Guidelines Using Internet shorthand is the mark of an illiterate child which I can only assume you are not. Although you may prove me wrong.
By the way It's knows not noes

ahhahah I'm sorry... It just takes so much longer to type as if I'm typing an essay... On my computer im too used to typing with those "slang" ways... and i AM a child LOL but i am not illiterate... so i guess ill try to remember to not rush my typing..
aznboi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 01:32 AM   #6
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi133
ahhahah I'm sorry... It just takes so much longer to type as if I'm typing an essay... On my computer im too used to typing with those "slang" ways... and i AM a child LOL but i am not illiterate... so i guess ill try to remember to not rush my typing..
You'll find that you get much better responses if you take your time. This isn't real time chat so there is no need to use the shorthand.
in fact, I've actually taken 10 minutes to reply to one post before (granted there was a LOT of vB coding in that post)

Here's something that will help. www.iespell.com there's a free program here that will help if you have trouble spelling. I actually use it myself.
__________________

Last edited by Raiyn; 07-21-04 at 11:01 AM.
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 01:55 AM   #7
anthonaut
My life be like ooh aah
 
anthonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Bikes: Giant Boulder SE 2000, Craftworks FRM125 2002
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try pulling your front wheel up into the air and lift your feet using the tread on your shoes to grip the pedal. The easiest way to do this is by tilting your feet down and getting your toes to point toward the ground as much as you can then pull up with your legs. Also pushing toward the back of the bike as well as up may help your shoes to grip.
anthonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 03:24 AM   #8
aznboi133
Endo Lover
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes: *none*
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
You'll find that you get much better responses if you take your time. This isn't real time chat so there is no need to use the shorthand.
in fact, I've actually taken 10 minutes to reply to one post before (granted there was a LOT of vB coding in that post)

Here's something that will help. www.iespell.com there's a free program here that will help if you have trouble spelling. I actualy use it myself.
ahah thanks i dont really need it though.. the only reason why i mispell is because im rushing too much and not thinking...

BUT ANYWAYS!!! i still want to learn how to jump with my bike... my bike weighs roughly 25 pounds? does that effect the performance? people say thats heavy for a mountain bike... but i dont know...
aznboi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 03:36 AM   #9
aznboi133
Endo Lover
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes: *none*
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonaut
Try pulling your front wheel up into the air and lift your feet using the tread on your shoes to grip the pedal. The easiest way to do this is by tilting your feet down and getting your toes to point toward the ground as much as you can then pull up with your legs. Also pushing toward the back of the bike as well as up may help your shoes to grip.
hmmm i have never thought of that.... i will try that first thing tomarrow.... becuase its wayy too late to try it now... tilt ur toes forward? does that work for you? is that your method?
aznboi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 06:50 AM   #10
sarsparilla
Senior Member
 
sarsparilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Worcester, Mass
Bikes: Giant Anthem, Giant TCR 2
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
my bike weighs roughly 25 pounds? does that effect the performance? people say thats heavy for a mountain bike... but i dont know...
No, that's not really heavy for a mountain bike. Lots of trail bikes way over 30 pounds, so your bikes' weight shouldn't affect the performance.
sarsparilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 06:50 PM   #11
FoX Rider
The Man.
 
FoX Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sitting
Bikes: Haro Extreme X3 with Hayes Mags and Evil DRS
Posts: 1,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
First off welcome to the Forums Secondly this is NOT AOL chat "u" and "ur" are not acceptable here "you" and "your" are. Pleas read the Forum Guidelines Using Internet shorthand is the mark of an illiterate child which I can only assume you are not. Although you may prove me wrong.
By the way It's knows not noes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
[color=blue]You'll find that you get much better responses if you take your time. This isn't real time chat so there is no need to use the shorthand.
in fact, I've actually taken 10 minutes to reply to one post before (granted there was a LOT of vB coding in that post)

Here's something that will help. www.iespell.com there's a free program here that will help if you have trouble spelling. I actualy use it myself.

Hey, Raiyn. Be a little nicer to the new guys. I made one of the sentences you wrote in that second quote there bold. Where you said you use iespell. Well, in the first post you spelt 'please' wrong. I believe you wrote "Pleas". You also spelt actually wrong in the bold there. I doubt you use iespell. I'm not trying to be an @$$. But you were being one. And I'd rather have more members join and stay rather then leave because of people being complete @$$holes to them. Way to pull a Klein.

Just please be nicer to the newbies.

Last edited by FoX Rider; 07-20-04 at 06:56 PM.
FoX Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 06:54 PM   #12
FoX Rider
The Man.
 
FoX Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sitting
Bikes: Haro Extreme X3 with Hayes Mags and Evil DRS
Posts: 1,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi133
ahah thanks i dont really need it though.. the only reason why i mispell is because im rushing too much and not thinking...

BUT ANYWAYS!!! i still want to learn how to jump with my bike... my bike weighs roughly 25 pounds? does that effect the performance? people say thats heavy for a mountain bike... but i dont know...

25 pounds isn't bad for a mountain bike. Given my bike is a freeride bike. It weighs in at 40lbs. It shouldn't effect performance. And if I can bunnyhop on my 40 lbs-er you should have no trouble with your bike. Just takes practice.
FoX Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 07:13 PM   #13
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
First off welcome to the Forums Secondly this is NOT AOL chat "u" and "ur" are not acceptable here "you" and "your" are.
Yeah really eh.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 07:15 PM   #14
stilgar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i always use the point your toes down and sort of pull up at the same time trick...i dont know if this helps. also if you crank hard in an easy gear while pulling up on the bars you can hop that way. but thats more of a back wheel hop. also you should have some pads and helmet for this because you are going to fall on your head a few times.
stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 08:23 PM   #15
JasBike
Senior Member
 
JasBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CT
Bikes:
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoX Rider
Hey, Raiyn. Be a little nicer to the new guys. I made one of the sentences you wrote in that second quote there bold. Where you said you use iespell. Well, in the first post you spelt 'please' wrong. I believe you wrote "Pleas". You also spelt actually wrong in the bold there. I doubt you use iespell. I'm not trying to be an @$$. But you were being one. And I'd rather have more members join and stay rather then leave because of people being complete @$$holes to them. Way to pull a Klein.

Just please be nicer to the newbies.


Theres a difference between a typo and a complete abandonment of the English language's grammar structure.
JasBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 09:11 PM   #16
FoX Rider
The Man.
 
FoX Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sitting
Bikes: Haro Extreme X3 with Hayes Mags and Evil DRS
Posts: 1,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasBike
Theres a difference between a typo and a complete abandonment of the English language's grammar structure.
I know, I was just giving him a hard time. I'll admit on AIM I sometimes be lazy with my spelling. But in forums it's different. I see what you mean. I wasn't giving him a hard time because he spelt that wrong. I was giving him a hard time because he was disrespecting a new member and telling him to use iespell. He said he uses it and I wanted to point out he still spelt stuff wrong.

But I see where your coming from.

Everyone should just come here to have fun and learn a few things.
FoX Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 10:10 PM   #17
Beachbum1546
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i was at work last week and my co-worker is a good MTB'er. i asked him if he could do any of that stuff. he said, "yeah, a little but not a whole lot now cuz i'm in my sandals." i was like, "oh, ok well can you do something. it's really cool." so he hopped on his tricked out klein and went outside. he started to bunny hop on his rear wheel (front wheel in the air) and then bunny hopped onto a stone ledge about 1.5 feet tall, landing on the rear wheel again. i was like, "you bastard..." i was so jealous, he was beyond awesome.
Beachbum1546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 01:10 AM   #18
aznboi133
Endo Lover
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes: *none*
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoX Rider
Hey, Raiyn. Be a little nicer to the new guys. I made one of the sentences you wrote in that second quote there bold. Where you said you use iespell. Well, in the first post you spelt 'please' wrong. I believe you wrote "Pleas". You also spelt actually wrong in the bold there. I doubt you use iespell. I'm not trying to be an @$$. But you were being one. And I'd rather have more members join and stay rather then leave because of people being complete @$$holes to them. Way to pull a Klein.

Just please be nicer to the newbies.
WOOOT WOOOT LOL stick up for the newbies I went outside today and i learned it!!! But then i cant get more than what? 3-5" off the ground but i guess thats good for a first day. ANyone have any tips on how i can continue gradually get better at it and make HUGE jumps like that co-worker guy who did what i dink is some pretty crazy stuff... I mean 1.5 Feet is ALOT...

Lets see, my technique i used today was first I'd pump my front shocks, then as it rebounded i pulled my handle bar up and twisted forward. As i pulled it up i tilted toes down and pushed back against the pedals with my feet and VROOOM. My brother is a newbie rider too (im maybe Novice rider at most) and he saw me hoping and he was hella envious. He tryed to do it too but only got the front wheel bounceing LOL.

how can i improve my technique? my ultimate goal is to one day do wheelie bunny hopping.
aznboi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 01:12 AM   #19
LeviBike
Holy o-o
 
LeviBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Bikes: FSRXC 04', Lemond Reno 05'
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasBike
Theres a difference between a typo and a complete abandonment of the English language's grammar structure.
haha lyk what are u talking about LOL grammer doesnt make me bike well haha LOL
LeviBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 03:25 AM   #20
Hopper
Ride bike or bike ride?
 
Hopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Bikes: MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike
Posts: 1,447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some people, me included, seem to be able to hop higher if they have something to hop over or onto.
Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 03:43 AM   #21
anthonaut
My life be like ooh aah
 
anthonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Bikes: Giant Boulder SE 2000, Craftworks FRM125 2002
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi133
hmmm i have never thought of that.... i will try that first thing tomarrow.... becuase its wayy too late to try it now... tilt ur toes forward? does that work for you? is that your method?
Yep thats exactly what i do. Although you get so used to doing it after a while, you dont have to think about it, you just do it.
anthonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 03:44 AM   #22
anthonaut
My life be like ooh aah
 
anthonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Bikes: Giant Boulder SE 2000, Craftworks FRM125 2002
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper
Some people, me included, seem to be able to hop higher if they have something to hop over or onto.
Or you're like me and you dont hop higher if you have somehting to hop over or onto.
anthonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 11:35 AM   #23
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoX Rider
Hey, Raiyn. Be a little nicer to the new guys. I made one of the sentences you wrote in that second quote there bold. Where you said you use iespell. Well, in the first post you spelt 'please' wrong. I believe you wrote "Pleas". You also spelt actually wrong in the bold there. I doubt you use iespell. I'm not trying to be an @$$. But you were being one. And I'd rather have more members join and stay rather then leave because of people being complete @$$holes to them. Way to pull a Klein.

Just please be nicer to the newbies.
There's a HUGE difference between dropping an "e" or an extra "l" which are typographical errors and spelling a word like "know" as "noe". The former is a simple mistake the latter is an example of sheer laziness. I use iespell whenever I have a question about how something is spelled however, when I'm confident in what I'm typing I don't.

As far as members staying or going I'm all for new members joining and contributing ideas and different viewpoints intelligently.
Quote:
Intelligence... We’re a community with quality standards and expect our members will make a sincere effort to contribute their thoughts on interesting subjects in a meaningful and respectful manner. Posting messages and otherwise interacting on Bike Forums is completely optional; many members often prefer to just read what others have to say. But if you do post, we expect that you’ll be respectful of the time of others by posting meaningfully
However, if they can't follow very SIMPLE rules then they don't need to be here. Sort of like the one's you've violated in your own post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoX Rider
I'm not trying to be an @$$. But you were being one. And I'd rather have more members join and stay rather then leave because of people being complete @$$holes to them. Way to pull a Klein.
Let's see now there's..

Quote:
Harrassment... Harassment occurs when a member insults, attacks, and denigrates another member at any time. We have zero tolerance for taking an argument about a any topic to a personal level. For instance, the use of terms such as "idiot, moron, stupid" and other derogatory terms constitutes harassment. The idea is to make this a pleasant environment to discuss cycling, not a schoolyard, or name-calling and rock-throwing festival. Repeated critical and sharply negative posts toward a forum member can also constitute harassment.
and
Quote:
Vulgarity... As a community with a diverse variety of members and readers, we ask that our members to post without using vulgarity. Vulgarity not only includes vulgar language and pictures but also sexist, racist, anti-religious and homophobic language which may offend other members. In addition, the "masking" of vulgarity by inserting * or another keystroke in place of one or more letters in a vulgar term is unacceptable in most cases.
In most cases these slide under the radar - which is fine I have NO problem with this until it become excessive. In my post in question I stated that the use of AOL'ese makes the poster look like an illiterate child, which I then assumed that he wasn't. Thus giving him the benefit of the doubt. You on the other hand have attempted to insult both me and another senior member of this board. I may not agree with everything Klein has to say, but I respect him for voicing his opinion - something you apparently have an issue with. You have demonstrated a complete lack of respect for me, this forum and it's members. I have demonstrated a fervent desire to have, at the very least, the language standards of this Forum maintained. I for one will NEVER apologize for that.

We all make minor mistakes in grammar and that's not something I have an issue with. I do have a problem with those who can't take an extra two seconds to type something long hand when the post isn't time critical. This isn't real time chat people



By the way "spelt" is a type of grain , I believe the word you were looking for is "spelled"
__________________

Last edited by Raiyn; 07-21-04 at 12:58 PM.
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 12:55 PM   #24
McGuillicuddy
Some guy
 
McGuillicuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh brother. I think the point here, Raiyn, was that there were ways that you could get your point across diplomatically without coming off as a putz. Tone is everything; simply starting your post with "First off welcome to the forums" does not necessarily make you welcoming.

I agree that your points were necessary, but there's a way you can show the newbie the ropes without giving him/her a virtual *****slap.

And aznboi, just keep practicing those bunnyhops. I keep doing a few every day on the way to and from school and I am definitely improving. IMHO, much of mountain biking is all about feel and balance, and those things only come with practice, practice, practice...
McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 05:48 PM   #25
FoX Rider
The Man.
 
FoX Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sitting
Bikes: Haro Extreme X3 with Hayes Mags and Evil DRS
Posts: 1,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Raiyn:

spell ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spl)
v. spelled, or spelt, spell·ing, spells
v. tr.
To name or write in order the letters constituting (a word or part of a word).
To constitute the letters of (a word): These letters spell animal.
To add up to; signify: Their unwise investment could spell financial ruin.


Thats the definition from www.dictionary.com. I don't see grain in there anywhere. I don't want to sound like everyone has perfect grammar. Everyone makes mistakes thats what makes us human.
FoX Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:09 AM.