Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-31-09, 02:44 PM   #1
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
Thread Starter
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bikes vs. horses for erosion

before i go and try to search the net, are any of you familiar with any type of land usage studies that compared bikes and horses...outcome?

i ask because i might want to propose a trial of allowing mtn bikes on some trails that currently allow hikers and horses.

i would need to present my case in a professional manner.

thanks

mx
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 02:48 PM   #2
santiago
sarcasm meter: jerk mode
 
santiago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montréal, QC, Canada
Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
Posts: 4,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_599 View Post
before i go and try to search the net, are any of you familiar with any type of land usage studies that compared bikes and horses...outcome?

i ask because i might want to propose a trial of allowing mtn bikes on some trails that currently allow hikers and horses.

i would need to present my case in a professional manner.

thanks

mx
I think IMBA has a study that they quote often comparing the different trail use erosion effects. Head over to http://imba.com
__________________
First Class Jerk
santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 02:51 PM   #3
ca7erham
****** (can I say this?)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never seen any studies, but I'd assume you're going with the fact that horses are WAY more destructive? I'd absolutly love to see some of those studies and wish you a great deal of luck.

Once factor around here for all of the horse trails (compared to MTB trails) is that horse owners tend to be better off financially and donate a good deal of money to the park districts.
ca7erham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 03:02 PM   #4
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
Thread Starter
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks guys!
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 03:08 PM   #5
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
Thread Starter
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca7erham;9960023[B
]I've never seen any studies, but I'd assume you're going with the fact that horses are WAY more destructive?[/b] I'd absolutly love to see some of those studies and wish you a great deal of luck.

Once factor around here for all of the horse trails (compared to MTB trails) is that horse owners tend to be better off financially and donate a good deal of money to the park districts.
oh i don't know that they are way more destructive or not? i suppose a lot would have to do with the amount of traffic of either horse or bike.

it just blows that they allow horse and hiker and not bikes. the area i am referring to is the black hills in SD. there is a possibility i am going there. not sure yet.

they allow bikes in certain areas but prohibit them at the heart of the the black hills reserve. I think it is home to one of the largest bison herds in North America or something. i would love to be able to see some of this area...but i am not getting a horse. i can only cover so much ground trail running.

i am unsure if they are concerned with wildlife or erosion. if they allowed bikes, i am pretty sure there would not be a ton of them on the trails. from what i gather, i think it is somewhat remote.

at any rate, i am jumping the the gun. i do not even know if i am going there. just getting prepared

mx

Last edited by mx_599; 10-31-09 at 03:13 PM.
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 04:28 PM   #6
ca7erham
****** (can I say this?)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_599 View Post
oh i don't know that they are way more destructive or not? i suppose a lot would have to do with the amount of traffic of either horse or bike.

it just blows that they allow horse and hiker and not bikes. the area i am referring to is the black hills in SD. there is a possibility i am going there. not sure yet.
Here they do WAYYYYYY more damage because of the way our soil handles rain. Yeah, the black hills is a really cool area, I wish you luck.
ca7erham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 07:17 PM   #7
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy
 
born2bahick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: a lot
Posts: 3,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I run on trails that allow horses and bikes, yes the horses dig deeper divits and make more erosion on the steeps, not on the flats.
born2bahick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 11:40 PM   #8
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles
 
Daspydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
Posts: 5,370
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
MTB Magazine fought this back in the early 90's. Horses and MTBs were actually a good match for trails. Hoof prints break up the streams created by tire grooves. Tires break up the Hoof prints and smooth out the ride. Both groups need to volunteer to maintain good trails. But I don't have the research or remember the year it was argued and researched.
__________________
I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 04:57 PM   #9
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
Thread Starter
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
MTB Magazine fought this back in the early 90's. Horses and MTBs were actually a good match for trails. Hoof prints break up the streams created by tire grooves. Tires break up the Hoof prints and smooth out the ride. Both groups need to volunteer to maintain good trails. But I don't have the research or remember the year it was argued and researched.
i know this has been discussed before, thanks for the updated info everyone.

i will follow up with this post should anything ever become of it

mx
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:30 AM.