If you saw my previous thread about a month ago, a friend gave me a killer deal on an Ironhorse Maverick 5.0, but I later realized that I value the family jewels and needed something a little smaller. So I sold that one and went looking for something decent. I found a Specialized Rockhopper Comp (Deore 9 speed) on Craigslist for $115. When I called him, he told me he'd sell it for $60 because it needed a tune-up and a tube. I picked it up and here's how the poor thing had been treated:
1) Somehow, there were bits of inner tube stuck in the cassette lock ring.
2) There was no rim tape on the front wheel (no wonder it was flat).
3) The rear hub was way too tight and not spinning well.
4) The shifters were sticking.
5) The brake pads were rubbing so one side was terribly worn.
A little elbow grease and the purchase of another beat up craigslist special as a donor bike brought it to full health, and I can't wait to hit the trails with it.