Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Trek 830

  1. #1
    What's a bike? adclark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Trek 830

    Sorry if something on this bike has already been posted, but I couldn't find it and couldn't find much about this bike on Google.

    I am currently in the market for an entry level mountain bike, and came across this one. The seller says it is a Trek 830 RST and is asking $140. I have two questions.

    1. Is this a fair price for this bike assuming it is in good condition?
    2. Is this bike a good entry level mountain bike?

    The cake is a lie...

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    s.e. michigan
    My Bikes
    cannondale,trex,schwinn
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds good to me i believe these entry level bikes were in the 3-400 dollar range new.good set up to give mountian biking a try see if you like it then invest in something with a few more features and components. i know youll love it

  3. #3
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd pay no more than $75 for that bike. Heck man...the drivetrain could be completely shot. It's old technology. $75 is pushing it.

  4. #4
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW...RST is the brand name of the suspension fork on the "Trek 830". (Rapid Suspension Technology)

  5. #5
    I have senior moments... bikinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woodside, CA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    2,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that what RST stands for...

    $75 might be generous. Try looking through the various 830 models here for an idea of what it is http://bikepedia.com/Search.aspx?Q=trek+830
    suum quique
    Mountain bikes: Santa Cruz Hecklers (99, 02, 07), Santa Cruz Nomad, Moots YBB, Trek OCLV Pro Issue, American Breezer
    Road bikes: TST, Trek 2300 (Carbon/Alum)

  6. #6
    What's a bike? adclark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    I'd pay no more than $75 for that bike. Heck man...the drivetrain could be completely shot. It's old technology. $75 is pushing it.
    Assuming the drivetrain is still in good condition (that is something I still have to check if I go see it) would something closer to $100 or $120 be more fair? There is a pretty decent market for used bikes around here, so they generally sell for more than $200.

    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    BTW...RST is the brand name of the suspension fork on the "Trek 830". (Rapid Suspension Technology)
    I thought that might be the case, but I couldn't find much about it online. Thanks for the clarification.
    The cake is a lie...

  7. #7
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adclark View Post
    Assuming the drivetrain is still in good condition (that is something I still have to check if I go see it) would something closer to $100 or $120 be more fair?
    Assuming the drivetrain is still in good condition...something closer to $75 "could be fair".

  8. #8
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikinfool View Post
    Is that what RST stands for
    I was gonna make something up, but I gotta respect the old man.

  9. #9
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are not going to get anything sensible -unless you are lucky- for much less than the asking price of this bike. The forks are not that good but they do go up and down (I hope) There will be some wear all over the bike but some wear is to be expected.

    Go prepared- "Not really what you are looking for"- spin wheels and watch for any out of true and point out- Chain will have wear unless it is new- crank rings will have some wear and point it out.

    See how cheap you can get it but if it is rubbish leave alone.

    My second bike was a Trek 800 rigid 18 speed with the gears too high for offroad. But in the next two years it taught me how to ride and it got me fit. The first bike was rubbish.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  10. #10
    What's a bike? adclark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    You are not going to get anything sensible -unless you are lucky- for much less than the asking price of this bike. The forks are not that good but they do go up and down (I hope) There will be some wear all over the bike but some wear is to be expected.

    Go prepared- "Not really what you are looking for"- spin wheels and watch for any out of true and point out- Chain will have wear unless it is new- crank rings will have some wear and point it out.

    See how cheap you can get it but if it is rubbish leave alone.

    My second bike was a Trek 800 rigid 18 speed with the gears too high for offroad. But in the next two years it taught me how to ride and it got me fit. The first bike was rubbish.
    Thanks for the advice. My plan was to throw my chain wear indicator in my pocket to check and make sure it hasn't been run with a really worn chain. I know pretty much what to look for in wear on the components from when I bought my road bike a while ago, but I figure I may as well check it to be sure I don't miss something.

    When you say gears too high for off road, what range did it have? I know I need lower gears on a mountain bike, but right now I run 53/39 chainrings and a 12-23 cassette on my road bike and don't have problems with most hills, and I live where it is pretty hilly. How low do I need on a mountain bike if I have the granny gear up front?
    The cake is a lie...

  11. #11
    Bad Company dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    are awesome.
    Posts
    12,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are going to take a chain-wear indicator along to scrutinize an old, $75 bike?


  12. #12
    I have senior moments... bikinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woodside, CA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    2,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adclark View Post

    When you say gears too high for off road, what range did it have? I know I need lower gears on a mountain bike, but right now I run 53/39 chainrings and a 12-23 cassette on my road bike and don't have problems with most hills, and I live where it is pretty hilly. How low do I need on a mountain bike if I have the granny gear up front?
    The road riding hills have little to do with the mountain biking hills where I am. I run a 53/39 and 12/27 (12/25 when I'm fitter which I'm not right now), but in the same area the trails I use 44/32/22 & 11-34 setups. Our trails are quite a bit steeper...
    suum quique
    Mountain bikes: Santa Cruz Hecklers (99, 02, 07), Santa Cruz Nomad, Moots YBB, Trek OCLV Pro Issue, American Breezer
    Road bikes: TST, Trek 2300 (Carbon/Alum)

  13. #13
    What's a bike? adclark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. After going to look at it, the frame and drive train are in good condition. The cables and chain needed replacing, and it looked like the seller put his old saddle and pedals on it before selling, but aside from that it was in good condition, so I pulled the trigger on it and am glad I did. I got the work done on it that it needed so it came out to a great deal around here. It should give me a chance to see if I really like mountain biking without a huge investment. I figure that if I decide I don't want it after a while, I can flip it for at least what I paid for it, but I imagine that if I decide I don't like single track riding, I will use it as a rainy day commuter bike.
    The cake is a lie...

  14. #14
    Dirt Bomb sknhgy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,597
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know about the 830, but my 820 came with a freewheel. I broke 2 axels before upgrading to a freehub.

  15. #15
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    You are going to take a chain-wear indicator along to scrutinize an old, $75 bike?

    I would- Badly worn chain will point to worn cassette and chainrings. New set of those would double the cost of the bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •