Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Remove fork stem spacers = move seat slighly forwards?

    Hi

    I'm looking to get better leverage when climbing steep hills, like 14% and up. Question for those who have removed the spacers on their fork stem to get a lower handlebar position for climbing; have you noticed that you needed to move your seat slightly forwards or that hasn't changed?

  2. #2
    motovation frankenmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dover, NH
    My Bikes
    rigid 29er moto, s-works stumpjumper fsr,black fixie,masi roadbike, ugly old hardrock commuter
    Posts
    1,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saddle position trumps handlebar position IMO. IOW, no. I will temporarily slide to the front of my saddle for steep climbs, however.

  3. #3
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenmike View Post
    Saddle position trumps handlebar position IMO. IOW, no. I will temporarily slide to the front of my saddle for steep climbs, however.
    I do the same, move up the saddle, but the front wheel comes up anyways, enough to through me off balance. Sometimes I can muscle it and keep moving up while the wheel is popping off the front, but I can only do it for a short while.

  4. #4
    Senior Member JonnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bellwood, Pa
    My Bikes
    2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0
    Posts
    1,589
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
    Hi

    I'm looking to get better leverage when climbing steep hills, like 14% and up. Question for those who have removed the spacers on their fork stem to get a lower handlebar position for climbing; have you noticed that you needed to move your seat slightly forwards or that hasn't changed?
    I could be way off but wouldn't this drastically increase forward weight when pointed downhill resulting in more endoes?
    Some people are just like Slinky's. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0

  5. #5
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyV View Post
    I could be way off but wouldn't this drastically increase forward weight when pointed downhill resulting in more endoes?
    I thought the exact same thing!
    So i researched used bikes for sale, specifically those from ex-racers, and they all have the spacers removed.
    Not sure what to think at this point! lol
    Last edited by xfimpg; 10-06-10 at 08:40 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member JonnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bellwood, Pa
    My Bikes
    2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0
    Posts
    1,589
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
    I thought the exact same thing!
    So i researched used bikes for sale, specifically those from ex-racers, and they all have the spacers removed.
    Not sure what to think at this point! lol
    Just remember, there's a reason they were racers and there's a reason they may be ex racers
    Some people are just like Slinky's. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0

  7. #7
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyV View Post
    Just remember, there's a reason they were racers and there's a reason they may be ex racers
    Oh definitely, there must be a few of them that have stopped racing because of that. But for the sheer number of racers out there, it would seem to represent a small percentage.

    For sure there's a greater risk of endo's, but they must be using techniques to counter that, like sliding the butt off the back of the seat or lifting the front wheel on a angled drop. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

  8. #8
    In beaurocratic limbo urbanknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
    Posts
    22,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
    I thought the exact same thing!
    So i researched used bikes for sale, specifically those from ex-racers, and they all have the spacers removed.
    Not sure what to think at this point! lol
    I used to race, but that doesn't mean I knew everything I was doing. Having come from a road and track background, I always felt too upright on my mountain bikes and had no spacers with the stem flipped DOWN. It seems that a lot of people used that setup in the 90's because we just didn't know any better, and I'm sure there are riders who still haven't gotten the message.
    "Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)

  9. #9
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dropmachine.com
    Posts
    4,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropping the stem a few mm or even cm isn't going to make the difference between an uneventful descent and an endo into a ravine.

    I guess if you were almost endo'ing on a regular basis with your stem where it is, there would be risks to lowering it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
    I used to race, but that doesn't mean I knew everything I was doing. Having come from a road and track background, I always felt too upright on my mountain bikes and had no spacers with the stem flipped DOWN. It seems that a lot of people used that setup in the 90's because we just didn't know any better, and I'm sure there are riders who still haven't gotten the message.
    What configuration are you using today?

  11. #11
    In beaurocratic limbo urbanknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
    Posts
    22,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
    What configuration are you using today?
    I decided to see why everyone ditched their bar ends and went with wider riser bars. My grips now about the same height as my seat (back then, it was 3-4" below). I haven't found a reason to go back.
    "Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)

  12. #12
    motovation frankenmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dover, NH
    My Bikes
    rigid 29er moto, s-works stumpjumper fsr,black fixie,masi roadbike, ugly old hardrock commuter
    Posts
    1,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, you can change your handlebar position without having to change your saddle position. My saddle-relative-to-crank position is the same on all my bikes(road,mtb,commuter) but the handlebar positions vary quite widely.

  13. #13
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
    Hi

    I'm looking to get better leverage when climbing steep hills, like 14% and up. Question for those who have removed the spacers on their fork stem to get a lower handlebar position for climbing; have you noticed that you needed to move your seat slightly forwards or that hasn't changed?
    Thanks for all your insights!

    I left the spacers as is and just flipped the stem. Just doing that makes quite a difference.
    I may later on remove the first spacer, which is a 1/4", to see how much a difference it can make.

  14. #14
    Senior Member JonnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bellwood, Pa
    My Bikes
    2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0
    Posts
    1,589
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
    Oh definitely, there must be a few of them that have stopped racing because of that. But for the sheer number of racers out there, it would seem to represent a small percentage.

    For sure there's a greater risk of endo's, but they must be using techniques to counter that, like sliding the butt off the back of the seat or lifting the front wheel on a angled drop. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
    I'd say you're onto something there. I say play with the idea. Maybe just drop it one or 2 small spacers at a time, just slowly drop the stem until you reach the point you like. Good luck!
    Some people are just like Slinky's. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0

  15. #15
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyV View Post
    I'd say you're onto something there. I say play with the idea. Maybe just drop it one or 2 small spacers at a time, just slowly drop the stem until you reach the point you like. Good luck!

  16. #16
    In beaurocratic limbo urbanknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
    Posts
    22,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I'm home from work and can access photobucket, here's my set-up from 1995 to 1998


    And here are my more recent rides.


    "Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)

  17. #17
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=urbanknight;11589293]Now that I'm home from work and can access photobucket, here's my set-up from 1995 to 1998

    Interesting transition! It seems you went a slightly more aggressive position with the razorback than the specialized.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •