Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need advice on rear shock... Im a big guy.

    Just ordered a 2003 Kona Stinky and it should be in soon.
    Ive read a few reviews on the rear shock that it comes with and most werent very happy with it.
    I think it was a FOX Vanilla R, yup, that it.
    People who reviewed it said that they had issues with it bottoming out on 2 or 3 foot drops, and these guys were in the 150 - 190 lbs. range.

    Im around 220 lbs. and am worried that I will destroy this thing, I need a new shock that can take some serious abuse.

    Money isnt a huge issue, if it means spending 500 bucks to get something good then thats fine.
    Any and all opinions are appreciated.

    Just remember... Im a BIG guy and I need something to hold my big butt up.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your fine. 220 isn't THAT heavy. You will need a stiffer spring for the leverage ratio of the bike. A 6in travel bike with 2.875 stroke with an I2I of 2. The nice thing about stinky's is the low leverage ratio, meaning less blown shocks and less pressure on the shock itself. 3 is averag 4 is bad (banshee and other long travel short stroke bikes) and 2 is what the stinky uses (give or take). Make sure you have a 400 pound spring and you should be fine

    Bottoming isn't a faulty shock, its an unsmooth rider, too much sag, not enough rebound and or compression and or wrong spring for their weight. I can do 7 ft drops on my bighit and I still don't think I have bottomed my shock out with the proper spring. (btw...I am 270 and put in a lot of time on lift assisted dh runs )

    http://www.mojo.co.uk/springs-calc.shtml

    FOX Vanilla R, yup, that it.
    I find this funny as fox consistently makes the best overall shocks on the market. And with a push industry mod you could potentially have a better shock. However it you are still really concerned...get an avalanche. Undeniably the best reputation for big hit riders. But be prepared to sacrifice ride quality.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info...
    I have a couple more questions if you dont mind.
    Im totally new to this side of MTB'ing, been riding trails on a hardtail for a while now but Ive started missing the thrill factor that I used to get with my skateboard and a set of 10 stairs. I dont understand a lot of the terms that you guys use so I figure the best way to find out is to ask someone who knows.

    Alright, the bike is a 2003 Kona Stinky, it can be seen at konaworld.com.
    I would like to get a replacment spring as per your advice but I have no idea what to order or where to order it from. I dont understand the whole eye to eye thing and the rest of the measurments for that matter. All I need to know is what size spring, what type of bushings and where to buy them.

    On another note, how does the Manitou Swinger Coil 4 or 6 way compare to the one that comes on the stinky? I couldnt find any reviews and NO places that sell it.

    Thanks again for the help, without sites like this Id be lost.

  4. #4
    Digs technical steeps
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nervous
    Thanks for the info...
    I have a couple more questions if you dont mind.
    Im totally new to this side of MTB'ing, been riding trails on a hardtail for a while now but Ive started missing the thrill factor that I used to get with my skateboard and a set of 10 stairs. I dont understand a lot of the terms that you guys use so I figure the best way to find out is to ask someone who knows.

    Alright, the bike is a 2003 Kona Stinky, it can be seen at konaworld.com.
    I would like to get a replacment spring as per your advice but I have no idea what to order or where to order it from. I dont understand the whole eye to eye thing and the rest of the measurments for that matter. All I need to know is what size spring, what type of bushings and where to buy them.

    On another note, how does the Manitou Swinger Coil 4 or 6 way compare to the one that comes on the stinky? I couldnt find any reviews and NO places that sell it.

    Thanks again for the help, without sites like this Id be lost.
    Kona Stinky - great bike! Here's the Fox application guide for late model Kona's: http://www.foxracingshox.com/website...ketSalesId=151

    It shows the spring for the 2003 Stinky. You can call Fox at 1-800-fox-shox and visit with them about changing your spring weight or other tech questions you have. Your LBS can get you a heavier spring if the stock spring is rated for a lighter rider. I'd start with a call to Fox and a visit with my LBS (or a visit with my LBS and have them call Fox ; )
    'My other bike is a bike.'

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops, 2004 Stinky. The chart still shows it though. How do I know what fits mine?

    On a different note, I got this bike for a steal. Since the 2005's are out I ened up getin gmy local shop to call Kona and see if they had any 2004's left, they did and I ended up getting it with tax for 1200.00!!! Woo Hoo!!! Gotta love those last year models!!

    I got a 19 inch because that all they had. Is that good for a person who stands around 6 feet tall?

    Sorry for the lame questions, I just need to learn.
    -Mike

  6. #6
    Digs technical steeps
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nervous
    Whoops, 2004 Stinky. The chart still shows it though. How do I know what fits mine?

    On a different note, I got this bike for a steal. Since the 2005's are out I ened up getin gmy local shop to call Kona and see if they had any 2004's left, they did and I ended up getting it with tax for 1200.00!!! Woo Hoo!!! Gotta love those last year models!!

    I got a 19 inch because that all they had. Is that good for a person who stands around 6 feet tall?

    Sorry for the lame questions, I just need to learn.
    -Mike
    I don't know which spring is the stock spring; the stock spring usually seems to be for riders in the 150 - 180 lb range or so. I'd dig around in the 2004 tech download area (Tech Area) at: http://www.konaworld.com/kw_index.cfm (I don't have Adobe on this pc or I'd look it up for you). If you can't find it there drop the tech line an email at Kona; they have always responded the same day to me.

    I'd guess a 19" will be a good fit for you. Here's the Kona sizing chart (go to the Tech Area, again): http://www.konaworld.com/kw_index.cfm

    You have come to the right place to learn! Lots of knowledge here. If I could get a new 17" 2004 Stinky for $1200 I'd buy one tomorrow!!!
    'My other bike is a bike.'

  7. #7
    NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS! a2psyklnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
    My Bikes
    Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
    Posts
    7,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, for $1,200 YOU DUN GUD! (Think Redneck accent!)

    I think the 19" is too big for you and you should send it to me as soon as you get it to save yourself the trouble of riding too large a frame!

    Regarding sizing, your inseam measurement is more critical than overall height. Actually you need your inseam and torsoe measurements when fitting a bike. I'm 6'0" and normally ride a 17" or an 18" frame because I've got short legs and a long torsoe.

    The 19" should be fine if your inseam is more than 31".

    Also, can you ask your shop what other 2004's in 17's they can get???? I might pony up for a new Kona!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
    "Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2004 Stinky 19 inch comes with a 600 lbs. spring, think that will suffice for me (215 - 220, depends on how much McDonalds Ive had, lol).

    Reply to above post:
    Have your local dealer call Kona and see whats left... all I know is that they had the Stinky in 19 inch only, and they had the Stinky Dee-Lux in 17, 18 and 19 inch (for 1750 at my local shop (Pedal the Planet)).
    I know if I would have pushed I could have gotten it cheaper but they were already giving me a huge discount (was 1350.00 and I talked them down to 1200). I think getting the regular Stinky was a good idea as I now have cash to buy whatever rear shock I want.

    Only think about the Stinky is that the seat post should have come with a quick release instead of a nut. OH well, aftermarket here I come.

  9. #9
    Ride bike or bike ride? Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really, if you want to upgrade your rear shock, get your Vanilla R PUSHed. These guys do wonders to rear shocks and can turn that Vanilla R into a perfect DH shock if you wanted. Also, don't get a Manitou Swinger 6-way, they had lots of problems, however the 4-way is ok to use.
    --------------------------------------------------------o__ ----
    ------------------------_-------_---|-\---------_---- _.>/ _ --------------
    _______________________| - \________(_)_\(_)_______\|/_______\|/______...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop Hoods
    Aint it amazing how courageous human beings are?

  10. #10
    My life be like ooh aah anthonaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    Giant Boulder SE 2000, Craftworks FRM125 2002
    Posts
    1,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Vanilla is fine. There is no need to upgrade it or get it PUSHed. Just get the spring that suits your weight (400 pound like Maelstrom said) and you'll be fine. Have fun with the new bike.
    Any true downhiller can huck, but no hucker can truly downhill - Ryan N.

    Mtbworld - http://mtbworld.mybesthost.com

  11. #11
    Digs technical steeps
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nervous
    Only think about the Stinky is that the seat post should have come with a quick release instead of a nut. OH well, aftermarket here I come.
    Have your LBS get a Kona QR sent along with your bike. Might cost you a few coins but you'll know it's the right size (and it will say 'Kona' ; )
    'My other bike is a bike.'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •