Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Back to granite skunkty14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    '02 C'dale Jekyll 700, '04 C'dale R1000 Double
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, kind of a newbie around here, though I have been lurking for awhile now.

    I own a '02 C-dale Jekyll 700 that I ride nearly everyday. The rear shock on this bike is a Fox FLoat L that has held up pretty well to the abuse I dish out, though I have recently worn out the rear reducer and will have to replace the seals soon as well. Due to the fact that I ride a fair amount of technical XC style trails, I'm interested in eventually replacing the Float L to upgrade the shock to something with damping, to improve the ride quality and get rid of some of the pedal bob and reduce the kick back of the shock when pedaling seated. This basically means either finding a Float RL or going with one of the Manitou Swingers models that C-dale offered on the Jekyll in '03.

    So anyone who has owned a Manitou shock, what have you thought of it? Hows the ride quality? Has it held up well to high usage, I'm in the woods every afternoon or at least every other day, plus use the bike to get to and from classes, so it takes a good amount of abuse.

    Anyone have a Float RL? What has your experience been with this shock?

    Thanks for the insight and info

  2. #2
    Senior Member SuBHuMaN12356's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Malvern, PA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Scalpel 900 in SoBe Green
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Fox Float RL

    so far the shock is pretty damn good... no flaws yet, i just got the bike... almost a month ago and i like it
    Cannondale Scalpel 900 in SoBe Green

    Ride It Like You Stole It

    Get Money For Searching!!!!

    Get 2 cents everytime you search something unique! Must have PayPal acount, If you have people sign up under your name you can earn 2 cents everytime they search aswell. Good Luck, Click the link and sign up!

    My Referal Code is 71391

  3. #3
    It's not easy being green FatBomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Jekyll 700, Jamis Eclipse
    Posts
    437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded my L to the RL a couple of years ago and I love it. I especially love turning it off when climbing to utilize all of my power. If only I could get my hands on a remote for the lever on the shock...

    Anyway, it is super easy to change out. My replacement kit came with new bolts and everything I would need other than tools.
    Never trust a limping dog or the tears of a woman.

  4. #4
    Older but wiser
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Ultimate, Cannondale Jekyll
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you need to get a whole new shock or can you upgrade the existing one with a kit. I've got the basic float and the bob is getting to me big time. Plus do they still make them or can you still but them with the shock collars - where should I be looking?

  5. #5
    It's not easy being green FatBomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Jekyll 700, Jamis Eclipse
    Posts
    437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the whole thing from an LBS. I think it came in around $350.
    Never trust a limping dog or the tears of a woman.

  6. #6
    Back to granite skunkty14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    '02 C'dale Jekyll 700, '04 C'dale R1000 Double
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cannondale does offer a handlebar mounted lockout lever for the Fox shocks, it was offered on some of the high end Jekylls in '01 and '02 I believe. Message me if you want more info on it, I have a pdf on installing that should have the necessary part numbers to order if from C-dale via your LBS.

    I'm planning on doing this upgrade sometime this winter, while the snow is to deep to ride and while my Headshox is out for a rebuild. From what I've heard, kit isn't cheap, something like 80-90 for the parts alone, but the install is pretty easy. Lever on the bar, run the cable down the downtube along the brake line, swap out the lockout lever spindle on the shock for the new one w/ the cable cam and you're done.

    I agree, locking out is great on climbs, but I'm worried that a few hits while locked out made my rear reducer ovalized and now I have a play problem. Hopefully the new reducer that should show up tomorrow or Wed will solve this.
    Last edited by skunkty14; 10-25-04 at 11:15 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member SuBHuMaN12356's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Malvern, PA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Scalpel 900 in SoBe Green
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They still use the levers today on the Scalpel... i have seen them available on ebay, i will see if i can try to find it for ya
    Cannondale Scalpel 900 in SoBe Green

    Ride It Like You Stole It

    Get Money For Searching!!!!

    Get 2 cents everytime you search something unique! Must have PayPal acount, If you have people sign up under your name you can earn 2 cents everytime they search aswell. Good Luck, Click the link and sign up!

    My Referal Code is 71391

  8. #8
    Back to granite skunkty14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    '02 C'dale Jekyll 700, '04 C'dale R1000 Double
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My LBS said that getting Fox shocks should be be feasible for the next year or so, and the Manitou for another year or so after that. This is due to Cannondale's phasing out of the Jekyll design for the new Prophet.

    I was in NZ from Jan through May this year, traveling and completing a semester abroad. I didn't have the bike with me unfortunatly, so I didn't get to ride at all down there, other than a few crappy bikes for hire around the cities. You have a beautiful country down there.

  9. #9
    Older but wiser
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Ultimate, Cannondale Jekyll
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah its pretty cool huh, fingers crossed in a month or two we get to start riding in our nat parks after a 5 year ban

  10. #10
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    Hi, kind of a newbie around here, though I have been lurking for awhile now.

    I own a '02 C-dale Jekyll 700 that I ride nearly everyday. The rear shock on this bike is a Fox FLoat L that has held up pretty well to the abuse I dish out, though I have recently worn out the rear reducer and will have to replace the seals soon as well. Due to the fact that I ride a fair amount of technical XC style trails, I'm interested in eventually replacing the Float L to upgrade the shock to something with damping, to improve the ride quality and get rid of some of the pedal bob and reduce the kick back of the shock when pedaling seated. This basically means either finding a Float RL or going with one of the Manitou Swingers models that C-dale offered on the Jekyll in '03.

    So anyone who has owned a Manitou shock, what have you thought of it? Hows the ride quality? Has it held up well to high usage, I'm in the woods every afternoon or at least every other day, plus use the bike to get to and from classes, so it takes a good amount of abuse.

    Anyone have a Float RL? What has your experience been with this shock?

    Thanks for the insight and info
    Manipoo sucks in my (never so) humble opinion. Save yourself some money and get your old shock PUSHED.
    http://www.pushindustries.com/

  11. #11
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not inteding the hijack your thread, but what is the difference between the Float R and RL??

    THanks

    Ming

  12. #12
    XTR OR DEATH!
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mendon, Ny
    My Bikes
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp '98
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i heard the manitou swinger is pretty good w/ lockout?
    SKI,BIKE,RUN

  13. #13
    Back to granite skunkty14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    '02 C'dale Jekyll 700, '04 C'dale R1000 Double
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. I believe the differences are.....

    Float L is an air sprung shock with lockout capabilities.

    Float RL is air sprung, with adjustable rebound damping, and with a lockout feature.


    Anyone feel free to add info/correct me if I've forgotten something or have this wrong.

  14. #14
    Back to granite skunkty14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    '02 C'dale Jekyll 700, '04 C'dale R1000 Double
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read your comments on Manitou before as I've been lurking . I can't say anything for their products myself as I have never even sat on a bike w/ Manitou, rode one, or know anyone who owns any Manitou stuff. Maybe that speaks loud enough......


    I like the idea of the Push upgrade, though it doesn't look like they offer it for the shock I currently have. Maybe I'll just have to bit the bullet sooner rather than later and grab a Float RL and if I'm still not completely happy with that, send it over to Push.

    Do you know anyone who has had the Push service performed on anything they ride? Did it actually enhance the ride of the shock or improve it? How has it held up to riding?

    Thanks for the info.

  15. #15
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    No problem. I believe the differences are.....

    Float L is an air sprung shock with lockout capabilities.

    Float RL is air sprung, with adjustable rebound damping, and with a lockout feature.


    Anyone feel free to add info/correct me if I've forgotten something or have this wrong.
    Awesome info, thanks. My bike came with the Float RL, and I notice very little pedal bobing with my 3D link suspension setup. Maybe it is down to the design of the linkages. My friend may sell me his 04 FLoat RL with Propedal (1 season light use) for 150ish, I'm not sure I'm even going to pick it up because I do not believe my bike really needs it

    Good luck

    Ming

  16. #16
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a manitou fork and most of my friends have 4 ways on their duallies now. The 6 way had issues (which has now been discontinued) but the 4 way was solid and felt like any spv shock would. I would stand behind the slider 100%...unreal feeling fork

    However...I would still just take my stock shock and get it pushed. Cheap, value and offers a stable platform CUSTOM to your weight, riding style and bike. That is unbeatable. If you want people who have gotten them try www.ridemonkey.com . A few races there have it done.

  17. #17
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    I've read your comments on Manitou before as I've been lurking . I can't say anything for their products myself as I have never even sat on a bike w/ Manitou, rode one, or know anyone who owns any Manitou stuff. Maybe that speaks loud enough......


    I like the idea of the Push upgrade, though it doesn't look like they offer it for the shock I currently have. Maybe I'll just have to bit the bullet sooner rather than later and grab a Float RL and if I'm still not completely happy with that, send it over to Push.

    Do you know anyone who has had the Push service performed on anything they ride? Did it actually enhance the ride of the shock or improve it? How has it held up to riding?

    Thanks for the info.
    You could always call or e-mail them to see if they just left it off the list. Sometimes stuff happens

  18. #18
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.nsmb.com/gear/push_industries_08_04.php

    I forgot about the review. This guy you can talk to him directly on nsmb. Trustworthy fella.

  19. #19
    It's not easy being green FatBomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Jekyll 700, Jamis Eclipse
    Posts
    437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    Cannondale does offer a handlebar mounted lockout lever for the Fox shocks, it was offered on some of the high end Jekylls in '01 and '02 I believe. Message me if you want more info on it, I have a pdf on installing that should have the necessary part numbers to order if from C-dale via your LBS.

    I'm planning on doing this upgrade sometime this winter, while the snow is to deep to ride and while my Headshox is out for a rebuild. From what I've heard, kit isn't cheap, something like 80-90 for the parts alone, but the install is pretty easy. Lever on the bar, run the cable down the downtube along the brake line, swap out the lockout lever spindle on the shock for the new one w/ the cable cam and you're done.

    I agree, locking out is great on climbs, but I'm worried that a few hits while locked out made my rear reducer ovalized and now I have a play problem. Hopefully the new reducer that should show up tomorrow or Wed will solve this.
    Actually, I did some homework yesterday and discovered that there are two options for you and I. The first option I found was the remote lockout kit from Fox, which runs about $80 and has gotten mediocre reviews. The second option--with better reviews, I might add--is kit number KF058 from Cannondale for $50 from any Cannondale dealer.

    I like the second option.
    Last edited by FatBomber; 10-26-04 at 07:47 AM.
    Never trust a limping dog or the tears of a woman.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •