Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How's this idea for training rides???

    I own a 03 Rocky Mountain Instinct and I do not like how often I have to service the SID very much.

    So i was just thinking of buying my friend's Marzocchi Dirt Jumper II (2001) for $100 or so...He is a good friend of mine, and he only used the fork about 3 weeks before it was sitting in his basement collecting dust. For some reason, this guy likes rigid bikes better.

    Since my bike came with some light weight XC stuff, I was thinking, for training runs, I could swap my light wheels (Mavic 221) for my set of Rhyno Lites, and also, I could use this Dirt Jumper fork instead of the SID. These components probably will bring my bike up from 24-25 lbs up to a little over 30 lbs. Then come race day, I could swap all my light components over and whola!! I got a light bike again and I should be much quicker!!

    In addition, my bike has much increased reliabliity because of a stronger wheel set, and a coil fork.

    Is this one of the dumbest idea you've ever heard or does this actually make sense???

    Ming

  2. #2
    Campy or bust :p cryogenic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Surly Karate Monkey commuter build
    Posts
    3,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it makes sense, but not so much because of the weight. It takes some of the wear and tear off your SID fork and so you won't be changing the oil and such as often. Also, if you happen to crash and taco a wheel on one of your training rides, it won't be one of your expensive ones and you won't damage your expensive fork.

  3. #3
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cryogenic
    I think it makes sense, but not so much because of the weight. It takes some of the wear and tear off your SID fork and so you won't be changing the oil and such as often. Also, if you happen to crash and taco a wheel on one of your training rides, it won't be one of your expensive ones and you won't damage your expensive fork.
    hehehe....I haven't seen anyone taco a Rhyno Lite yet I've tacoed plenty of wheels so far....but both of my rhyno lites are still pretty straight after years of abuse on my rigid bike

    Hopefully I wont seen anyone break a rhyno lite, then i'd have to cry because I love these wheels soo much

    Ming

  4. #4
    Campy or bust :p cryogenic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Surly Karate Monkey commuter build
    Posts
    3,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I ever taco my ditchwitches, then that's most likely what I'll upgrade to.. XT hubs & Rhyno Lites or something of that nature. I don't see a point in the new XTR hubs especially since they're splined for their own disc mount, meaning I can't run avid or maguras on them (though I think they sell an adapter).

    Anyway, back to your original statement.. The only problem I can see is that you'll be riding on inferior components and may have to alter your riding style some, especially with the difference between the lightweight air fork and the heavier elastomer fork.

  5. #5
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cryogenic
    If I ever taco my ditchwitches, then that's most likely what I'll upgrade to.. XT hubs & Rhyno Lites or something of that nature. I don't see a point in the new XTR hubs especially since they're splined for their own disc mount, meaning I can't run avid or maguras on them (though I think they sell an adapter).
    I love my rhyno Lites. The most problem free wheel set I've ever owned


    Quote Originally Posted by cryogenic
    Anyway, back to your original statement.. The only problem I can see is that you'll be riding on inferior components and may have to alter your riding style some, especially with the difference between the lightweight air fork and the heavier elastomer fork.
    I realize it will climb differently, however, I will still be fairly smooth over bumps because my riding style has been developed on a rigid bike. Now I automatically pick the smoothest line over bumps, ..etc

    This is just a weird idea that poped up in my head. The price is right on the fork, but I am just not sure if it will be up to par for my bike. lol

    Ming

  6. #6
    Campy or bust :p cryogenic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Surly Karate Monkey commuter build
    Posts
    3,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That IS a pretty cheezy fork to be throwing on such a nice bike... I'm stopping short of calling it "degrading" or "polluting" but just as a beater fork so you don't beat the crap out of your SID, it might not be a bad idea. Might even get some interesting looks... "Nice bike.... what the...?? What's up with the fork, dude?"

  7. #7
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cryogenic
    That IS a pretty cheezy fork to be throwing on such a nice bike... I'm stopping short of calling it "degrading" or "polluting" but just as a beater fork so you don't beat the crap out of your SID, it might not be a bad idea. Might even get some interesting looks... "Nice bike.... what the...?? What's up with the fork, dude?"
    LMAO...appearances can be deceiving can't it?? When my friend selling the fork and I first brought our ridigid bikes to Toronto to rides with somes friends of friends. Two of them had downhill bikes with 8-10" of travel on both ends. One of them was running a Boxxer Jr I believe. Initially, they were quieting saying, "Man, these guys are gonna die out there on the Don Valley trails with such crappy bikes...." behind our back. Then once we hit the trails, we (the rigid guys) ended up riding up all the hills, and went down all the hills almost as fast as the guys on their downhill bikes.

    THen we came to this steep hill they called the "sketchy hill", and my friend just went down it without bringing his seat post down. You should've seen the shock on everyone else's face

    It seems like a good idea, maybe I'll pursue it for next season. I still have lots of time to think it out

    THanks for the comments

    Ming

  8. #8
    NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS! a2psyklnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
    My Bikes
    Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
    Posts
    7,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks_219
    hehehe....I haven't seen anyone taco a Rhyno Lite yet I've tacoed plenty of wheels so far....but both of my rhyno lites are still pretty straight after years of abuse on my rigid bike

    Hopefully I wont seen anyone break a rhyno lite, then i'd have to cry because I love these wheels soo much

    Ming

    I have! Nasty crash, way over the front down a chute. Hit the roll out with the wheel turned. Over the bars and landed 10'0" away. Knocked the wind out of me forever, felt like a good 10 mins. Got up finally. and it was Taco Time!

    The worst part was this was only about 20 mins into the ride.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
    "Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger

  9. #9
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
    I have! Nasty crash, way over the front down a chute. Hit the roll out with the wheel turned. Over the bars and landed 10'0" away. Knocked the wind out of me forever, felt like a good 10 mins. Got up finally. and it was Taco Time!

    The worst part was this was only about 20 mins into the ride.
    Ouch, that sounds like a nasty crash!! I'm glad you broke a wheel instead of your bones

    Anyone else have any comments about my idea????

  10. #10
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cryogenic
    If I ever taco my ditchwitches, then that's most likely what I'll upgrade to.. XT hubs & Rhyno Lites or something of that nature. I don't see a point in the new XTR hubs especially since they're splined for their own disc mount, meaning I can't run avid or maguras on them (though I think they sell an adapter).
    I have no problems with those wheels myself. One day I'm going to learn how to build my own wheels and hopefully become good at doing it too

    Quote Originally Posted by cryogenic
    Anyway, back to your original statement.. The only problem I can see is that you'll be riding on inferior components and may have to alter your riding style some, especially with the difference between the lightweight air fork and the heavier elastomer fork.
    What kind of riding characteristics should I expect from a elastomer fork?? I thought the coil bomber would be somewhat plushier and definitely more foul proof compared to a light weight air fork

  11. #11
    mmm babaghanouj. rasheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    toronto, canada.
    My Bikes
    '02 gary fisher tassajara disc, '03 norco fluid 3.0
    Posts
    815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks_219
    Two of them had downhill bikes with 8-10" of travel on both ends. One of them was running a Boxxer Jr I believe. Initially, they were quieting saying, "Man, these guys are gonna die out there on the Don Valley trails with such crappy bikes...." behind our back. Then once we hit the trails, we (the rigid guys) ended up riding up all the hills, and went down all the hills almost as fast as the guys on their downhill bikes.
    hahaha, the don's do-able on big bikes, but it isn't all that great. too many steep uphills to really enjoy the ride - in my opinion anyway. heck, even my 37lb fluid makes the uphills quite an experience. riding the don, i'd rather have a light trail bike - or even a xc bike for that matter - than a big dh bike any day.


    current ride: 2003 norco vps fluid 3.0 (custom build).



  12. #12
    Campy or bust :p cryogenic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Surly Karate Monkey commuter build
    Posts
    3,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks_219
    I have no problems with those wheels myself. One day I'm going to learn how to build my own wheels and hopefully become good at doing it too


    What kind of riding characteristics should I expect from a elastomer fork?? I thought the coil bomber would be somewhat plushier and definitely more foul proof compared to a light weight air fork
    I do know that elastomer forks ride differently than superlight air forks, however I wasn't necessarily implying it's any worse, just different. From my understanding, elastomer forks are a bit more "bouncy" than air forks and air forks tend to have stiction through the first little bit of travel. Also, with most coil forks you can't adjust both rebound and compression damping.

  13. #13
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe it or not, one of the guys had the fluid like yours. He was lacking on uphills big time too

  14. #14
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cryogenic
    I do know that elastomer forks ride differently than superlight air forks, however I wasn't necessarily implying it's any worse, just different. From my understanding, elastomer forks are a bit more "bouncy" than air forks and air forks tend to have stiction through the first little bit of travel. Also, with most coil forks you can't adjust both rebound and compression damping.
    Ahhh...that sounds about right. I'll need a loaner fork while my SID is being sent out for the warranty recall anyways. So I'll try the Dirt Jumper out and see how it behave on my bike. First I need to make sure rocky mountain wont void my frame warranty by going from a 80mm fork to a 100mm one

  15. #15
    snow DjRider04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Henniker, USA
    My Bikes
    Rootbeer Bullit, stock......soon to be a transgold V10 w/shivers
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wheels I could see...but something thats going to make a geometry change might not be a smart idea. You should always be used to your bike for race day, and if you get used to a slacker, more laid back position...you might not race as good.

  16. #16
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DjRider04
    The wheels I could see...but something thats going to make a geometry change might not be a smart idea. You should always be used to your bike for race day, and if you get used to a slacker, more laid back position...you might not race as good.
    That's one of the issues I was considering about the change. I took my bike out for another ride today, and I think I finally got my SID setup properly, or it just has broken in! The fork is plush as ever, and soaked up all the small bumps very well. I think I'm going to ride the SID, and probably just do the wheel change

    Ming

  17. #17
    Senior Member nepaMTBer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a cool idea though.
    Im the king of scrabble
    There is none higher
    Got 11 points with the word quagmire

    http://www.stickergiant.com/Merchant2/imgs/g246.gif

  18. #18
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AArrgggg..my old Rhyno Lite on the back has a 7-speed STX-RC hub. I can' swap my 9 speed cassette over.

    I guess there goes that idea. Luckly I'm setting up a website (complicated site with dynamic contents from databases....etc) for my LBS. I get stuff at cost in return. At least if I do damage anything, it wouldn't cost me too much to replace it.

    Ming

  19. #19
    Campy or bust :p cryogenic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Surly Karate Monkey commuter build
    Posts
    3,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow.. STX-RC... my old bike had an STX-RC rear derailleur on it.

  20. #20
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cryogenic
    wow.. STX-RC... my old bike had an STX-RC rear derailleur on it.
    LoL..so does my beater!! It worked like a charm and has served me very well for over 5 years

    I just hope my XTR will last me that long...lol

    Ming

  21. #21
    Campy or bust :p cryogenic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Surly Karate Monkey commuter build
    Posts
    3,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the STX-RC was 7/8 speed compatible.. I used it on a GT Timberline rigid bike with an 8 speed rear. I think my rear wheel was an XTR Hub with Mavic 517 SUP rim. Front was still stock.

  22. #22
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you like the XTR hub? Does it roll any better than a STX-RC or LX hub?

  23. #23
    Campy or bust :p cryogenic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Surly Karate Monkey commuter build
    Posts
    3,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was on my old bike... I don't have that bike anymore, actually. The hub did seem to roll ever so slightly better and the wheel on the whole was lighter than stock, so that was a plus.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •