Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    XC Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kidderminster, England
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What XC Bike for 2000

    I'm on the look around for a Full Suspension XC Bike with Hydraulic Disks Brakes(Deffinetly not V-Brakes) and I don't want a Cannondale

    There seem to be quite a few on offer from various companies, and being that this is my first proper XC Bike that I want to keep for a few years, I'd like to make sure I got value for money and not ending up sacrifcing 1 part for another and getting ripped just because 1 lbs has a different prefference to another lbs

    Can anybody help me out?

    As I say, I've got 2000. I'm looking at:
    GT
    Marin
    Scott
    Specialized

    Alot of hard earned cash, so I don't want to make a bad choice as I know my girlfriend will be watching every single move and payment I make.

    Thanks In advance

  2. #2
    Senior Member SuBHuMaN12356's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Malvern, PA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Scalpel 900 in SoBe Green
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much is 2000 in USD american dollars?
    Cannondale Scalpel 900 in SoBe Green

    Ride It Like You Stole It

    Get Money For Searching!!!!

    Get 2 cents everytime you search something unique! Must have PayPal acount, If you have people sign up under your name you can earn 2 cents everytime they search aswell. Good Luck, Click the link and sign up!

    My Referal Code is 71391

  3. #3
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTuNa
    I'm on the look around for a Full Suspension XC Bike with Hydraulic Disks Brakes(Deffinetly not V-Brakes) and I don't want a Cannondale

    There seem to be quite a few on offer from various companies, and being that this is my first proper XC Bike that I want to keep for a few years, I'd like to make sure I got value for money and not ending up sacrifcing 1 part for another and getting ripped just because 1 lbs has a different prefference to another lbs

    Can anybody help me out?

    As I say, I've got 2000. I'm looking at:
    GT
    Marin
    Scott
    Specialized

    Alot of hard earned cash, so I don't want to make a bad choice as I know my girlfriend will be watching every single move and payment I make.

    Thanks In advance
    I dont know about bike prices in the UK, but that's a lot of money and shoudl get you a pretty nice bike. I'd recommand a Rocky Mountain Element Tsc or an Element 70 for that short of money. I find their 3D-linkage works very well on my instinct. There is barely any pedal induced bobing, and the bike handles like a dream. Besides that, a Specialized Epic should also be within reach if you look hard enough.

    Make sure you go around and look for a bargain, dont pay MRSP because high end bikes are marked up almost 100%.

    Good Luck

    Ming

  4. #4
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuBHuMaN12356
    how much is 2000 in USD american dollars?
    3695.19 USD

  5. #5
    snow DjRider04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Henniker, USA
    My Bikes
    Rootbeer Bullit, stock......soon to be a transgold V10 w/shivers
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last I checked the enchange was a bit more......like 1to$1.79

  6. #6
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DjRider04
    Last I checked the enchange was a bit more......like 1to$1.79

    Problem is, we pay more for our bikes in the UK, Due to shipping,Taxes and VAT so prices are not the same. For equivalent costings, think of a 2000 bike being $2000 in the U.S. Now, what can you lot the other side of the pond come up with?

  7. #7
    Senior Member SuBHuMaN12356's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Malvern, PA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Scalpel 900 in SoBe Green
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i say get a canondale but, you said you dont want to... i would personaly go out to delaers and try out each bike, see what you like... thats the best way to do it. its all about personal preference
    Cannondale Scalpel 900 in SoBe Green

    Ride It Like You Stole It

    Get Money For Searching!!!!

    Get 2 cents everytime you search something unique! Must have PayPal acount, If you have people sign up under your name you can earn 2 cents everytime they search aswell. Good Luck, Click the link and sign up!

    My Referal Code is 71391

  8. #8
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Problem is, we pay more for our bikes in the UK, Due to shipping,Taxes and VAT so prices are not the same. For equivalent costings, think of a 2000 bike being $2000 in the U.S. Now, what can you lot the other side of the pond come up with?
    You should be able to get a 04 Rocky Mountain Element 70 for around $2000 if you look and haggle enough. I think the bike's MSRP is around $3000 US, but you'll be able to get it for much cheaper if you know where to look.

    Ming

  9. #9
    Campy or bust :p cryogenic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Surly Karate Monkey commuter build
    Posts
    3,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed that shops tend to be more willing to haggle on the price of a $2500 bike than they are a $800 bike. I'm sure that's due to what's been said above, that they're marked up more so they have more room to fudge on the price. What about a Santa Cruz? Their FS bikes look pretty nice and I've not really heard anyone say anything bad about them. They don't have MSRP's on their site, I suppose because they mostly sell frames and let the LBS equip the bike with whatever components the customer wants.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •