Welcome shopper! Ya, you know your question has been asked before but you’re special, dogginit; so you want to ask it for the umpteen-millionth time and elicit responses catered to your exact needs and set of carefully-honed opinions. And yeah, you know there are some very good and helpful stickies about what to look for and how; but you don’t want to bother with all of that pesky reading. So if this is you:
- You’re in the market to change things up a little. Should you slap some new parts on that rigid steel dinosaur hanging in your garage or should you get something new?
- You’ve ridden road for years and you know your way around a bike in a general sense; but have recently been bitten by the mountain biking bug and you know nothing about MTBs. Should you get X or Y brand’s Zzz model?
- You were just browsing your local Craigslist ads and came across this. Is it a good price? Should you buy it?
- You just found a great buy on a bike but it's not the right size for you. You're looking for people who will tell you that you should get it anyway because it's such a good deal.
- You mostly commute but when you pass trailheads, you think you might like to dabble in some “light trail” too. Can X bike handle it as long as you’re not thinking about doing “crazy jumps or drops” (translation: the idea of getting over 6” of air freaks you out)?
. . . then you’ve come to the right place! Feel free to cut loose and ask those questions that have been burning a hole in your brain - - right here in this thread. Then we can all do our part to keep the MTB forum from getting cluttered and choked with all those repetitive “what bike to buy?” threads. Thank you in advance for doing your part.