Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,057
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am here to ask a sincere question.....not to spam you..LOL

    I noticed that shiamno and SRAM have totally diffferent ratios for there 11-34 cassettes.

    Shimano 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34

    SRAM 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-34

    SRAM most notably has 6 tooth gap at end of cassette 28-34....any problems with the shifting from 28 to 34? How good would you expect the 28 to 34 (or 34 to 28)shift be under load with XT rear derailleur?

    P.S. I was reading about SRAM cassettes bending in the bigger cogs..possibly due to the 34 not having enough support. Any truth?

    SRAM 9.0 cassettes any good or should I just stick with XT? What about the 7.0 cassettes....were they better?

    Also what is the diffrence in quality between PG-950,970,990? Is the PG-990 worth it or should I just save my money and get a PG-950 or PG- 970?
    Last edited by 53-11 alltheway; 11-29-04 at 04:54 AM.

  2. #2
    Esquire
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supposedly SRAM has changed their ratios for '05. I read something over at MTBR.com that showed a 30 to 34 tooth jump I believe. I prefer the 11-32 cassettes anyway.

    I used the PG-990's THey are only $35 vs the $65-$70 for XT Cassettes so I don't feel like dropping to the PG-970 is much of a savings.

    Trey

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,057
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey
    Supposedly SRAM has changed their ratios for '05. I read something over at MTBR.com that showed a 30 to 34 tooth jump I believe. I prefer the 11-32 cassettes anyway.

    I used the PG-990's THey are only $35 vs the $65-$70 for XT Cassettes so I don't feel like dropping to the PG-970 is much of a savings.

    Trey
    I was actually hoping the 28 to 34 jump worked OK. I don't think I'd mind a big gap at the end of the cassette....besides in the lowest gears 4 teeth doesn't really change the gear inches that much.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 53-11 alltheway
    I am here to ask a sincere question.....not to spam you..LOL

    I noticed that shiamno and SRAM have totally diffferent ratios for there 11-34 cassettes.

    Shimano 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34

    SRAM 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-34

    SRAM most notably has 6 tooth gap at end of cassette 28-34....any problems with the shifting from 28 to 34? How good would you expect the 28 to 34 (or 34 to 28)shift be under load with XT rear derailleur?

    P.S. I was reading about SRAM cassettes bending in the bigger cogs..possibly due to the 34 not having enough support. Any truth?

    SRAM 9.0 cassettes any good or should I just stick with XT? What about the 7.0 cassettes....were they better?

    Also what is the diffrence in quality between PG-950,970,990? Is the PG-990 worth it or should I just save my money and get a PG-950 or PG- 970?
    I have the PG-970 12-34T cassette with Deore derailer, I don't have problems shifting into the larger cog (although my upper pulley comes in slight contact to the largest cog). I don't shift under load though (heavy weight + muscle + BIG jump in shift = empty wallet after I'm done fixin' broken parts.
    The last of a dying breed..

  5. #5
    Esquire
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only 11-34 SRAM PG-990 I have rideen worked fine. I had no issues going from 28 to 34 but there are plenty of others I have read about that have complaints about the jump.

  6. #6
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have had no issues with my 7.0 cassette, and x7 derailleur though. The SRAM cassettes are almost half the price of the Shimano anyways

  7. #7
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,235
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I don't think I saved all that much going to a Sram cassette.
    I don't think it looks as nice, or shifts as nice. But it's ok.
    When it wears out, I'll prob go back to Shimano.

  8. #8
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 53-11 alltheway
    I was actually hoping the 28 to 34 jump worked OK. I don't think I'd mind a big gap at the end of the cassette....besides in the lowest gears 4 teeth doesn't really change the gear inches that much.
    the 7-sp shimano "tourney" mega-range cassette has an even larger jump, and it works just fine for a while. Only thing allowing it to work so well is the deep ramps on that cog.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 11-34 PG-990 cassette on my bike and it shifts just fine with my Sram x.9 derailleur.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,057
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder squirrel
    I don't shift under load though (heavy weight + muscle + BIG jump in shift = empty wallet after I'm done fixin' broken parts.
    I love it!.....LOL....I can sense there is more testosterone in this forum compared to Road Forum. Don't get me started about the average Roadie's mannerisms....cuz, uhh....nevermind.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,057
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic
    the 7-sp shimano "tourney" mega-range cassette has an even larger jump, and it works just fine for a while. Only thing allowing it to work so well is the deep ramps on that cog.
    there was a 7 speed freewheel 11-34.....it had a 24 to 34 jump for the last gear.....LOL.(10T diffference!!)...shifting the last gear must have been like shifting a chainring!

  12. #12
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, that's hte exact jump, 10t...except this was a 14-34.

    The shift is far easier to deal with if you have a "rapid-rise" style deraileur, or low-normal as some call it. If you do, it's pretty much like shifting any other gear, but takes a little bit more time. I reccomend shifting in the center chainring if you do. If your on a MTB and are in the granny gear, it's going to be a very slow shift.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Shimano cassettes on both my bikes, one SRAM equiped the other XTR equipped.
    When I had the X.9 cassette, I could feel the shift was not as crisp as with a Shiamno so I've kept using Shimano XT or higher cassettes.

    11-32 ratio though
    An ounce off the wheels is worth 3 off the frame

  14. #14
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 53-11 alltheway
    Shimano 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34

    SRAM 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-34

    SRAM most notably has 6 tooth gap at end of cassette 28-34....any problems with the shifting from 28 to 34? How good would you expect the 28 to 34 (or 34 to 28)shift be under load with XT rear derailleur?

    P.S. I was reading about SRAM cassettes bending in the bigger cogs..possibly due to the 34 not having enough support. Any truth?

    ?
    I have only used 11/32 on the solo, Shimano XT of course, and never have any problems. In fact I don't think there is even a necessity for the 32, with a 22t front sprocket. That lowest gear is only for when I have had enough and now want to rest for the final steep bit of the hill. To go to a 34t would not be necessary.

    However, I also have a Mountain Tandem and we run a 24 t front sprocket, and do occasionally want a lower gear than a 32 on the rear. I bought a Shimano XT12/34 for this reason, but it now sits as a spare. We bent it first time out up the first hill. Don't know if the SRAM have a tendency to bend, but The Shimano did not stand up to it. Incidentally, this was a 5 arm spider on the cassette, and not the 4 arm that was prone to bending

  15. #15
    Senior Member Bobatin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Newnan, GA
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the SRAM and the Sh XT 11-32 I liked the SRAM better. I realy cant see a need for the 34 and have considered going to a 11-25. I cannot understand why 53-11 would need a 34
    So, if you're in the car, waiting impatiently. . . get over it - you're not that special.
    "Its not what you take when you leave, Its what you leave when you go."
    Some country and western song

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    My Bikes
    rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
    Posts
    5,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 53-11 alltheway
    I love it!.....LOL....I can sense there is more testosterone in this forum compared to Road Forum. Don't get me started about the average Roadie's mannerisms....cuz, uhh....nevermind.
    Any left-over testosterone will leave your body the minute you ride a bike with a 34 tooth cog.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •