Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-04, 01:46 AM   #1
iridebikes
Just like to ride!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Frankfort, KY
Bikes: TREK and Gary Fisher
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gary Fisher Tassajara

Getting ready to buy a new Gary Fisher Tassajara. Seems to be the best buy for the bike. Like the geometry and domestic frame. Any comments.
iridebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 11:01 AM   #2
geoduck
Senior Member
 
geoduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: !NorCal!
Bikes:
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Be aware of the Genesis geometry concept that GF builds into their bikes. It results in a longer top tube, for a more 'stretched out' feel to the ride. If you've ridden the bike, you probably know this.

If there is a Kona dealer near you, you may want to check out a couple of their bikes, the Fire Mountain and Blast can be had for a few bucks less than the Tassajara. Much better component spec on the Blast than on the Tass.

I rode the Tass and the Kona Blast several times, and decided on the Kona. I haven't regreted it yet. The deal-breaker for me was the geometry of the Tass. It just did not climb as well as the Kona, IMO.

However, the Tass has a great reputation for a mass-production bike, despite a slightly weak component spec for the money. Are you sure that frame is produced in the USA?
geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 07:44 PM   #3
iridebikes
Just like to ride!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Frankfort, KY
Bikes: TREK and Gary Fisher
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought it was a domestic frame. I could be wrong. I have not riden the Tass yet. I will check out the Kona line. I think there is a dealer close enough. Thanks a bunch.
iridebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 09:53 PM   #4
theguythatbikes
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
go for the tassajara_disk 2004. great bike. probably on sale for 04 inventory clear out
theguythatbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 10:02 PM   #5
Dusk
LeMond Lives!
 
Dusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Edina, MN
Bikes: In 1963 my sister taught me to ride on her girl’s frame (no wonder I shave my legs) Schwinn it was blue and it weighted a billion pounds. – Gone, 2nd bike - a Schwinn Colligate (Gold) 5 speed – Traded in, 3rd bike – 1971 Schwinn Continental (Maro
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridebikes
Getting ready to buy a new Gary Fisher Tassajara. Seems to be the best buy for the bike. Like the geometry and domestic frame. Any comments.
I took one to Ireland for a year along with a LeMond Poprad loved them both. But sold them both at profit when I left. Bought a Hoo Koo E Koo and a Cannondale Cyclocross to replace them later. Depending on what you are going to ride, you may not need a disk or want one. The Gary Fisher Tassajara is a good bike, and the GF stands behind the bikes, if you have any problem.

Cheers,
Dusk
Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 10:52 PM   #6
BurlySurly
Pedalphile
 
BurlySurly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tennessee
Bikes: better ones than yours
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Tassajara was my first bike. Held up well for a long time. I loved it.
BurlySurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 10:20 PM   #7
iridebikes
Just like to ride!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Frankfort, KY
Bikes: TREK and Gary Fisher
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoduck
Be aware of the Genesis geometry concept that GF builds into their bikes. It results in a longer top tube, for a more 'stretched out' feel to the ride. If you've ridden the bike, you probably know this.

If there is a Kona dealer near you, you may want to check out a couple of their bikes, the Fire Mountain and Blast can be had for a few bucks less than the Tassajara. Much better component spec on the Blast than on the Tass.

I rode the Tass and the Kona Blast several times, and decided on the Kona. I haven't regreted it yet. The deal-breaker for me was the geometry of the Tass. It just did not climb as well as the Kona, IMO.

However, the Tass has a great reputation for a mass-production bike, despite a slightly weak component spec for the money. Are you sure that frame is produced in the USA?
The 04 (and previous) Tass is domestic Frame. The new 05's are foreign.
iridebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-04, 10:40 AM   #8
geoduck
Senior Member
 
geoduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: !NorCal!
Bikes:
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridebikes
Thought it was a domestic frame. I could be wrong. I have not riden the Tass yet. I will check out the Kona line. I think there is a dealer close enough. Thanks a bunch.
Your first post indicated that you're 'getting ready' to buy the Tass, but you haven't even ridden it yet? Scary...

I can't stress enough that you MUST TEST RIDE a bike before you buy it, especially something with non-conventional geometry. In fact, I'd ride at least two or three from different manufacturers. At around $500 bucks, it should be easy to find stuff from the big guys like Trek, Giant, Gary Fisher, Cannondale, etc. Kona is a bit harder to find, but ride on of those, too.

Realistically, at that price point, bike fit is paramount. Once you get a good fit on one or more bikes, then start thinking about component set, upgradeability, etc. But first, get a bike that fits! And the only way to determine what feels good it to ride it.
geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-04, 10:50 AM   #9
seely
The Rabbi
 
seely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, Genesis Geometry doesn't actually stretch you out anymore than a conventional frame. What they are giving you is a longer top-tube + a short stem, so actual cockpit size is pretty standard. I think they handle like crap, but thats just my preference. A lot, if not most, mtb companies are using longer top tubes now anyways so I think the Genesis Geometry has really lost its uniqueness in the past 3 years. I mean my Specialized has a 24" top tube w/ a 120mm stem, it doesn't get much longer than that
seely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-04, 12:31 PM   #10
LilRootRx7
Just a rider
 
LilRootRx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Branford, CT
Bikes: 03' kona stinky and 03' Azonic Ds-1
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a 2000 Tassajara and I loved it. It was a very lightweight and fast XC bike in my opinion. Unfortunatly it is just a frame now because i swapped all my parts to a urban assault hardtail. At sometime in the future im going to rebuild that frame because its got such beautiful geometry
LilRootRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-04, 06:14 PM   #11
iridebikes
Just like to ride!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Frankfort, KY
Bikes: TREK and Gary Fisher
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoduck
Your first post indicated that you're 'getting ready' to buy the Tass, but you haven't even ridden it yet? Scary...

I can't stress enough that you MUST TEST RIDE a bike before you buy it, especially something with non-conventional geometry. In fact, I'd ride at least two or three from different manufacturers. At around $500 bucks, it should be easy to find stuff from the big guys like Trek, Giant, Gary Fisher, Cannondale, etc. Kona is a bit harder to find, but ride on of those, too.

Realistically, at that price point, bike fit is paramount. Once you get a good fit on one or more bikes, then start thinking about component set, upgradeability, etc. But first, get a bike that fits! And the only way to determine what feels good it to ride it.
Will ride the Tass. My son has a Marlin (same geo/same size). I like the feel real well. I am a road cyclist for the most part and just want to ride with my son. The long feel feals natural to me vs being so upright. Still looking and thanks for the great comments and suggestions. I looked at the Kona and Specialized line also.
iridebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 AM.