Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-11, 03:07 PM   #1
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'
Thread Starter
 
hybridbkrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this true about 29ers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
I'd council against a front suspension 29er for a couple of reasons. First, there are, like I said above, reports of frame cracking issues with lots of 29ers out on the market right now. Giant has recalled some and Trek is reported to be having lots of warranty claims on them. It seems they pushed the idea before they had worked out the kinks.

The other reason not to use a 29 with front suspension is that the 700C wheel has more side deflection than a 26" wheel. This allows the front suspension legs to work independently which isn't good with the kinds of forks we use now. Add a load over the front wheel and the fork could get real noodly. You can solve the problem by going to a 15mm or 20mm through axle but that's a bit extreme for a 'touring' bike.

The 26" wheels use hubs that have been optimized for 26" forks so they tend to be more solid and less noodly.
Would you still get a 29er with front suspension?
hybridbkrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 03:47 PM   #2
cryptid01
one less horse
 
cryptid01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: East Jesus NY
Bikes: are better than yours
Posts: 5,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thats weird - when cyccocmmute makes the occasional foray into the mtb forum he typically gives solid advice.

The quoted post, however, is faulty reasoning supported by utter nonsense.
cryptid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 03:58 PM   #3
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I just read the Giant recall in Bicycle Retailer and it was from Nov. of 2010 about 2011 model Anthem X 1,2 & 3s. Frame crack at the junction of the seat tube and top tube. That could happen with any production run of any size - - had nothing to do with 29ers specifically.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 06:10 PM   #4
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy
 
born2bahick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: a lot
Posts: 3,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's all about perception with Cyccocomute. He once stated you needed more light to ride in town at night than in the woods. His reasoning was that you have to compete with the ambient light from street lights signs and auto lights. If that's true you would need to be brighter than the sun to ride streets in the day time. Friggin drivers still wouldn't see ya! The Titanic was a tragegdy for us humans but,,,,, For the lobsters in the kitchen it was a Miracle. Perception my friends, perception
born2bahick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 07:48 PM   #5
kenhill3
use your best eye
 
kenhill3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Olympia, Washington
Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Love the lobster analogy, B2B. Gonna file that for later.
__________________
"I tell you, We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut jr.
kenhill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 07:59 PM   #6
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It's just a vicious myth.
__________________
Signature.
Dannihilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 08:58 PM   #7
dsprehe89
Senior Member
 
dsprehe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryville Il
Bikes: 2009 Giant Rincon, 1996 Dyno Zone, 198? Raleigh Capri SS
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr View Post
700C wheel has more side deflection than a 26" wheel.
This is the only part of that whole thing that I would say is true. It is also common sense and can be solved with proper engineering. The reason they flex more is because they are longer. Torque is equal to force X distance, meaning that a taller rim will have a larger torque on it (while turning b/c the force has to be perpendicular to the thing it is acting on) however, this can be fixed by designing the rim, spokes, and hubs to work together to handle these forces (which is what the engineers get payed to do). As for the fork legs working independently due to this......... There are forks that one leg is just for dampening, and the other is for the spring, if this was the case, these fork systems wouldn't work even on a 26" wheel.
dsprehe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:09 PM   #8
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Bikes: Hecklah
Posts: 10,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsprehe89 View Post
[strike]Torque is equal to force X distance[/strike]

dork is equal to dsprehe89 + interwebz akssess / pumpkin pi are square
I hate it when people get all geeky on here...makes me feel inferior.

Last edited by ed; 10-06-11 at 09:14 PM.
ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:12 PM   #9
dsprehe89
Senior Member
 
dsprehe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryville Il
Bikes: 2009 Giant Rincon, 1996 Dyno Zone, 198? Raleigh Capri SS
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed View Post
I hate it when people get all geeky on here...makes me feel inferior.
So you hate the engineers that design the bikes that you ride? Because that is my future goal, to be an engineer for a bike company such as Trek or SRAM and I only have 1 year left before I graduate with my BA in Mechanical Engineering which is the first step to meeting that goal.
dsprehe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:16 PM   #10
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Bikes: Hecklah
Posts: 10,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I hate you. (I forgot to put this at the end of my statement: ) I was kidding. Congrats on your goal BTW...now design me a freeride 650b with about 7" travel, 67' HA, 24.5" ETT, and 16.5" stays.

Last edited by ed; 10-06-11 at 09:26 PM.
ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:19 PM   #11
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsprehe89 View Post
This is the only part of that whole thing that I would say is true. It is also common sense and can be solved with proper engineering. The reason they flex more is because they are longer. Torque is equal to force X distance, meaning that a taller rim will have a larger torque on it (while turning b/c the force has to be perpendicular to the thing it is acting on) however, this can be fixed by designing the rim, spokes, and hubs to work together to handle these forces (which is what the engineers get payed to do). As for the fork legs working independently due to this......... There are forks that one leg is just for dampening, and the other is for the spring, if this was the case, these fork systems wouldn't work even on a 26" wheel.
It wouldn't even work with a 20" wheel.

Aside from manufacturing defects which do happen, the only way a frame is going to break is from a hard crash or using the bike in a way it was not intended to be used.

The one with the Giant has been addressed, and knowing that the treks are failing at the chainstays because the original inner sleeves on the superfly's were carbon and were not holding together as well as an aluminum sleeve would. The 2012 superfly's have the aluminum sleeves in instead of the carbon.
__________________
Signature.
Dannihilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:20 PM   #12
dsprehe89
Senior Member
 
dsprehe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryville Il
Bikes: 2009 Giant Rincon, 1996 Dyno Zone, 198? Raleigh Capri SS
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed View Post
Yes, I hate you. (I forgot to put this at the end of my statement: ) I was kidding.
I knew you were joking, I just had to throw some of your sarcasm back at you. Part of my nature ........ and had to justify my "geeky-ness"
dsprehe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:22 PM   #13
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Bikes: Hecklah
Posts: 10,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well daggummmit. I got punk'd. Good one.


Now build me that bike.
ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:28 PM   #14
dsprehe89
Senior Member
 
dsprehe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryville Il
Bikes: 2009 Giant Rincon, 1996 Dyno Zone, 198? Raleigh Capri SS
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed View Post
Congrats on your goal BTW...now design me a freeride 650b with about 7" travel, 67' HA, 24" ETT, and 16" stays.
Get me a job for any good bike company such as Trek, Giant, Specialized, or any of the smaller ones like Raleigh, Kona, or Jamis, and I'll do my best .

I learn something new pretty much everyday here on the forums and feel that I already have a pretty good understanding of bikes, but I still have a long way to go before I know enough to feel that I can design a bike from the ground up (which is one of my other eventual goals "I have lots of goal")
dsprehe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 10:16 PM   #15
electrik
Single-serving poster
 
electrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hows about somebody gets in the kitchen and bakes me some pie instead? Seeing as i don't want a 29r.
electrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 01:06 AM   #16
cyclops
Dismember
 
cyclops's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dweeb
Bikes: Schweeet Jamis 2008 Komodo, 40's Malvern Star 16" my 1st! , 58 Malvern Star 28", (gave it to the LBS for display) late 80's Repco Olympic 12,(stolen), Custom Voodoo Wanga, Giant Iguana, commuter in build .
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsprehe89 View Post
So you hate the engineers that design the bikes that you ride? Because that is my future goal, to be an engineer for a bike company such as Trek or SRAM and I only have 1 year left before I graduate with my BA in Mechanical Engineering which is the first step to meeting that goal.
Good to know theres another Mech Engineer on the boards. Keep on working towards those goals buddy!
__________________
Mmmmmm, shiney.

cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 09:26 AM   #17
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild
 
samburger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: GA, USA
Bikes: A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out
Posts: 1,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsprehe89 View Post
Get me a job for any good bike company such as Trek, Giant, Specialized, or any of the smaller ones like Raleigh, Kona, or Jamis, and I'll do my best
Go with Jamis, they seem to be pushing the 650b (or maybe that's just Ed brainwashing me again with his "New for 2012" thread...)
samburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 09:31 AM   #18
dsprehe89
Senior Member
 
dsprehe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryville Il
Bikes: 2009 Giant Rincon, 1996 Dyno Zone, 198? Raleigh Capri SS
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samburger View Post
Go with Jamis, they seem to be pushing the 650b (or maybe that's just Ed brainwashing me again with his "New for 2012" thread...)
Only issue is location. The only bike company I've looked into (until now) for employment was Shimano, and their only US location is in LA and they do not do any engineering there. I just looked into Jamis and their only current open positions are in England. I would like to stay in the US. I'm open to moving, me and my fiancé both plan on moving as soon as we graduate, so that is not an issue. But finding an american company who would keep us in the US is a big deal. BTW, she is also going into mechanical engineering :lol.
dsprehe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 10:37 AM   #19
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hayes Group (Hayes, Manitou, Answer, Sun Ringle', Wheelsmith) has some engineering positions open right now.

https://www5.recruitingcenter.net/Cl...anviewjobs.cfm
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 10:47 AM   #20
dsprehe89
Senior Member
 
dsprehe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryville Il
Bikes: 2009 Giant Rincon, 1996 Dyno Zone, 198? Raleigh Capri SS
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
Hayes Group (Hayes, Manitou, Answer, Sun Ringle', Wheelsmith) has some engineering positions open right now.

https://www5.recruitingcenter.net/Cl...anviewjobs.cfm
Sad part is I still have a year to a year and a half before I graduate. Also, most of these jobs require 3-5 years experience in the engineering field, but this is what I would like to be doing eventually. I've known for a while that it will take me around 5-10 years of experience before I can pretty much choose my job, so I've known that this will be a long term goal. However, thank you for the link, and giving me another company to consider when I do graduate. Thanks for all the support. Like I said, I still have a long way to go, but I feel that if I continue trying, I'll get there eventually.
dsprehe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 11:08 AM   #21
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Bikes: Hecklah
Posts: 10,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samburger View Post
Go with Jamis, they seem to be pushing the 650b (or maybe that's just Ed brainwashing me again with his "New for 2012" thread...)
I'd take a job there. I ride what I ride b/c it's what I can afford. When I recommend something from them, it's either b/c I know it works ('05+ Komodo /'10+ Parker) or I'm intrigued by the idea (650b).

Last edited by ed; 10-17-11 at 08:42 PM.
ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 11:10 AM   #22
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsprehe89 View Post
Sad part is I still have a year to a year and a half before I graduate. Also, most of these jobs require 3-5 years experience in the engineering field, but this is what I would like to be doing eventually. I've known for a while that it will take me around 5-10 years of experience before I can pretty much choose my job, so I've known that this will be a long term goal. However, thank you for the link, and giving me another company to consider when I do graduate. Thanks for all the support. Like I said, I still have a long way to go, but I feel that if I continue trying, I'll get there eventually.
Another thought: You might pursue an engineering internship in the cycling industry - - it may help get your foot in the door as well as getting you credits toward your degree. Kyle Thomas, a young friend of mine (and Pro downhill racer) interned at Transition Bicycles for a term. He's now working in the aerospace industry in Seattle instead; but had he chosen to stay in the cycling industry, I'm sure it would have given him a leg up.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 12:45 PM   #23
dsprehe89
Senior Member
 
dsprehe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryville Il
Bikes: 2009 Giant Rincon, 1996 Dyno Zone, 198? Raleigh Capri SS
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed View Post
...reach for something like TBC for a good time or Specialized for a steady paycheck.
It would be awesome to work for Transition.

Last edited by ed; 10-17-11 at 08:44 PM.
dsprehe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 12:49 PM   #24
dsprehe89
Senior Member
 
dsprehe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryville Il
Bikes: 2009 Giant Rincon, 1996 Dyno Zone, 198? Raleigh Capri SS
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
Another thought: You might pursue an engineering internship in the cycling industry - - it may help get your foot in the door as well as getting you credits toward your degree. Kyle Thomas, a young friend of mine (and Pro downhill racer) interned at Transition Bicycles for a term. He's now working in the aerospace industry in Seattle instead; but had he chosen to stay in the cycling industry, I'm sure it would have given him a leg up.
That would be awesome. I am planning on just letting the cards fall. Obviously in the current economy, the first decent job offered to me is what I am going to take. I already have a years experience working as an intern for a company who designs electric motors, so I have a foot in the door there and if worse comes to worse I'll go there until I get enough experience for somewhere else. Working for transition sounds like it would be awesome. It would be amazing to be able to be the person that gets to test the new bike designs.
dsprehe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 01:11 PM   #25
Singlespeed92
Lover of ALL things Bike
 
Singlespeed92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hard Rock,2011 Origin 8 700CX,2013 On One Inbred,2014" Surly Troll
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr View Post
Would you still get a 29er with front suspension?
Ummm.....yeah



Last edited by Singlespeed92; 10-07-11 at 01:20 PM.
Singlespeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:09 AM.