Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

nub Need help on adjusting a rst gila T8

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, i just bough a never used 2009 trek 4300'disc for $250. Though it was a good deal and get me back into riding, I am 55, and thought this would be fun.

My question is there are a twist knob on top of each fork with a plus/minus. Does one mean something different from the other, or do you have to individually have to adjust them?
Shock is a rst gila t8
Old 11-09-11, 12:09 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The 2009 T8 model Gila is the base Gila. The knobs only change spring preload. Unfortunately, neither have anything to do with damping.
Old 11-09-11, 12:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
The 2009 T8 model Gila is the base Gila. The knobs only change spring preload. Unfortunately, neither have anything to do with damping.
So, I don,t see any numbers on each knob, so how do you know each fork is set the same?
Old 11-09-11, 12:43 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Dial each side cc back to zero (note the no. of turns). Turn back one back in to that setting; turn the other in the same amount.

Keep in mind that all that spring preload does is 'stiffen' the springs a bit - - changing the sag to your weight, but only within the weight range of the installed springs. In other words, if you are a real heavy rider, you won't be able to preload a standard-weight spring enough to compensate for the springs not being the right weight. If you are an average-weight rider, chances are you can just leave the preload backed all the way off.
Old 11-09-11, 01:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
Dial each side cc back to zero (note the no. of turns). Turn back one back in to that setting; turn the other in the same amount.

Keep in mind that all that spring preload does is 'stiffen' the springs a bit - - changing the sag to your weight, but only within the weight range of the installed springs. In other words, if you are a real heavy rider, you won't be able to preload a standard-weight spring enough to compensate for the springs not being the right weight. If you are an average-weight rider, chances are you can just leave the preload backed all the way off.
I will give it a try, thank you