Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 69
  1. #1
    Senior Member YamiRider1316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Paradise CA
    My Bikes
    13' Ragley Marley, 12' Pivot Firebird, 13' Pivot Point, 89' Bridgestone RB-1
    Posts
    441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    So apparently carbon fiber is pretty durable

    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-c...-test-lab.html

    the slam a frame into a concrete block test really sold me.

  2. #2
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that it's used in fighter jets, F1 suspension, and ball bats really sold me...twenty plus years ago.

  3. #3
    "I'm OK!" dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . . . and kick-ass racing canoes.

  4. #4
    S'toon trail rider! MisterK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK
    My Bikes
    2011 Norco Mountaineer, 70's Empire ????
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screw carbon fiber! STEEL IS REAL!

  5. #5
    "I'm OK!" dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK View Post
    STEEL IS REAL RUSTY!
    Fixed.





  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was pretty awesome. I've never really doubted carbon (which is moot - I've never even ridden a carbon bike). I mean, hell, if it's strong enough to make Formula One frames out of...it should be good for mountain bikes.

    Why is there reluctance towards CF in mountain biking anyway?
    Last edited by ESW116; 02-25-12 at 02:19 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ESW116 View Post
    Why is there reluctance towards CF in mountain biking anyway?
    Somebody probably broke a super-lightweight CF frame, and then the material took the blame rather than the construction.

    It is all in the build spec.

  8. #8
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work at a bike shop and have seen plenty of broken carbon in real life. Wearthrough is another carbon-killer... pro tip, if your wheel is out of true and it's grazing your carbon frame, DO NOT RIDE IT LIKE THAT. This is why there are cell phones!

    My own carbon hardtail died of a crack about halfway around the BB shell on the driveside... ahhh, so THAT'S why I was getting so much FD rub, I thought it was my massively powerful thighs or something I replaced it with an aluminum one (OH NOES, IT IS 1/2lb HEAVIER NOW!).

  9. #9
    Senior Member pablosnazzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    fruita, co
    My Bikes
    rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis
    Posts
    1,703
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've seen carbon crack, a rock strike at the right angle will do it. even cracked the bike rode without breaking. i've seen my friend ride his mojo hd for quite a while now, he is not gentle with it at all and he is still riding it. carbon is pretty good stuff.

    i would say carbon is strong enough to outlast 80% of the people riding bikes. ive talked to people who say they don't think carbon can hold up, i don't tell them carbon bikes are faaaaar more capable than anything they will do with it.

  10. #10
    use your best eye kenhill3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    My Bikes
    '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Posts
    3,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm convinced of the durability of carbon fiber, but the devil is in the details, ie. how/how well it is designed and fabricated.
    "I tell you, We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut jr.

  11. #11
    gbg
    gbg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ESW116 View Post
    That was pretty awesome. I've never really doubted carbon (which is moot - I've never even ridden a carbon bike). I mean, hell, if it's strong enough to make Formal One frames out of...it should be good for mountain bikes.

    Why is there reluctance towards CF in mountain biking anyway?
    Lets see pretty well all of Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale Santa Cruz, IBIS, etc etc. highest level XC and all mountain MTB's are carbon.
    The last "pure downhill" bikes are going carbon as well. It's more why is there a reluctance to non-carbon bikes.

  12. #12
    Redheaded Stepchild samburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    GA, USA
    My Bikes
    A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out
    Posts
    1,892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    It's more why is there a reluctance to non-carbon bikes.
    Reluctance toward non-CF? Do we need to take a poll of how many people here ride CF bikes vs everything else?
    just a n00b with an ego

  13. #13
    gbg
    gbg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samburger View Post
    Reluctance toward non-CF? Do we need to take a poll of how many people here ride CF bikes vs everything else?

    That's more a price issue than why are all the MFG's totally embracing carbon.

  14. #14
    Redheaded Stepchild samburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    GA, USA
    My Bikes
    A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out
    Posts
    1,892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize that, but I still haven't seen any evidence at all of anyone being reluctant to buy an aluminum or steel bike just because stronger materials exist.
    just a n00b with an ego

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice vid. Thanks for posting.
    90 Miyata 914 with full Dura-Ace
    74 Ellis-Briggs, full butted 531
    80s Cierra Professional 5000, Tange Champion 2 and Shimano 600
    2011 New Belgium Cruiser
    Fetish Cycles "Discipline" built up with DJ2 fork and Shimano XTR, LX, Avid BB7.

    Quote Originally Posted by scyclops View Post
    Oh yeah, sure, what if everyone thought that way? Then internet forums would merely be places where rational people exchange useful information and ideas - instead of the chaotic, emotionally-charged circuses that they are.

  16. #16
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    Lets see pretty well all of Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale Santa Cruz, IBIS, etc etc. highest level XC and all mountain MTB's are carbon.
    I work at a dealership for one of the brands you mentioned, and the ratio of broken carbon frames to broken metal frames is very high in real life. Causes vary, but that's the bottom line from years of firsthand work on hundreds of them.

    We have one in the shop right now that's cracking in two places where frame tubes took routine impacts from spills. And I'm talking XC-rider spills, not spectacular freeride bailouts. On an aluminum bike, these impacts would just be routine used-bike scratches, not a cause for structural compromise. The warranty department declined coverage because the bike had taken hits in those locations (as evidenced by the scratches in the paint).

    If you like carbon and you're not fazed by this sort of thing, then by all means buy it. If you want something that's going to shrug off crash impact, then caveat emptor.

  17. #17
    gbg
    gbg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
    I work at a dealership for one of the brands you mentioned, and the ratio of broken carbon frames to broken metal frames is very high in real life. Causes vary, but that's the bottom line from years of firsthand work on hundreds of them.

    We have one in the shop right now that's cracking in two places where frame tubes took routine impacts from spills. And I'm talking XC-rider spills, not spectacular freeride bailouts. On an aluminum bike, these impacts would just be routine used-bike scratches, not a cause for structural compromise. The warranty department declined coverage because the bike had taken hits in those locations (as evidenced by the scratches in the paint).

    If you like carbon and you're not fazed by this sort of thing, then by all means buy it. If you want something that's going to shrug off crash impact, then caveat emptor.

    Well in the same sort of thread in a different forum I mentioned an aluminium bike getting a 1/2" dent in the frame from "falling over" onto I think it was a coffee table.
    And also thin wall aluminium tubing can be less than 4X the thickness of a beer can. So I don't think they can sustain any significant impacts to those areas either.

  18. #18
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    Well in the same sort of thread in a different forum I mentioned an aluminium bike getting a 1/2" dent in the frame from "falling over" onto I think it was a coffee table.
    And also thin wall aluminium tubing can be less than 4X the thickness of a beer can. So I don't think they can sustain any significant impacts to those areas either.
    The aluminum doesn't delaminate or fracture, though. It dents if it's hit hard enough, but it's still structural. You don't keep using it for six months and find that the dent has spread all the way around the tube, either.

    I think if you asked a Boeing Dreamliner tech, they'd tell you they have a protocol for what to do if their carbon superplane parts take a direct hit from something like a goose. Not "oh haha LOL, the plane is carbon, it is teh invincibles, look at this bike manufacturer's PROMOTIONAL video with the concrete block!" but more like "ok, let's get the X-ray diffraction equipment and go over this before we certify it for flight."

    I can remark that the problem is real enough that the brand we sell has added external rubber shields to the undersides of the downtube, as well as beefed up the tube construction, to deal with the threat of rock impact from the front wheel kicking rocks up into the path of the frame. Ask yourself why they'd do that if they didn't have to.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Tunnelrat81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YamiRider1316 View Post
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-c...-test-lab.html

    the slam a frame into a concrete block test really sold me.
    So what qualifies "passing" the concrete block test? I guarantee they didn't build the frame back up and ride it the next day.

    My point being this:...Even though it doesn't "explode" on you during use...you may still have to spend $2k getting it replaced because it's been compromised.

    I think replacement interval is the biggest factor going into folk's decision to avoid carbon fiber. Few people dispute that it's a better frame material...just that it's functional durability isn't as solid as a metal frame that can be visually inspected when damage is suspected. So you took a hard fall this weekend...and your frame didn't break...does that mean it's still 100% structurally sound? Most people don't have a mobile x-ray machine at home...and I imagine that most folks also don't like the idea of replacing a $1500-3000 frameset after an unfortunate unplanned tumble in a rock garden.

    I'm not against carbon fiber at all, but the replacement cost and interval definitely plays into my decision to buy it. Someday when I have the budget to cover potential damage to a carbon fiber frameset, I may fall in line with everyone else for one. Until then, however....

    -Jeremy
    Last edited by Tunnelrat81; 02-25-12 at 02:27 PM.

  20. #20
    Gone.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK View Post
    Screw carbon fiber! STEEL IS REAL!
    My speculation was that it applies to some degree in cycling, and I used the previous proof as my reasoning, but I can't prove how exactly it applies to it and to what degree. That, I have admitted, is speculation based on reasoning, but not at this point provable.

  21. #21
    Senior Member pablosnazzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    fruita, co
    My Bikes
    rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis
    Posts
    1,703
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm waiting for an adamantium bike

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
    The aluminum doesn't delaminate or fracture, though. It dents if it's hit hard enough, but it's still structural. You don't keep using it for six months and find that the dent has spread all the way around the tube, either.

    I think if you asked a Boeing Dreamliner tech, they'd tell you they have a protocol for what to do if their carbon superplane parts take a direct hit from something like a goose. Not "oh haha LOL, the plane is carbon, it is teh invincibles, look at this bike manufacturer's PROMOTIONAL video with the concrete block!" but more like "ok, let's get the X-ray diffraction equipment and go over this before we certify it for flight."

    I can remark that the problem is real enough that the brand we sell has added external rubber shields to the undersides of the downtube, as well as beefed up the tube construction, to deal with the threat of rock impact from the front wheel kicking rocks up into the path of the frame. Ask yourself why they'd do that if they didn't have to.
    Could this be the reason that the Santa Cruz V-10 has only the front half of its frame molded in CF, while the rear is in Al-alloy?

  23. #23
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of how strong it is or isn't, I find it quite telling the number of people in these forums that have stated that they'd never buy second-hand CF.

    But I suspect thats just a complete lack of confidence in their own ability to properly access it.

  24. #24
    "I'm OK!" dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pablosnazzy View Post
    i'm waiting for an adamantium bike
    I keep trying to find an unobtanium one . . . but I can't.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •