Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Old Trek 8000?

  1. #1
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Old Trek 8000?

    I found a guy on craigslist who will sell me a 98 trek 8000 for $200. It looks brand new. He says hes ridden it at most a dozen times. Should I go for it?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're interested, take someone with you who's knowledgeable about bikes, mountain bikes in particular. Have your expert inspect the bike, both before and after your test-ride (at least a couple miles). As long as your prospective bike has no rust, weld, or fork issues, it should be just fine. However, if it doesn't fit, the condition of the bike won't matter too much. Fit is the most important factor!

  3. #3
    The Left Coast, USA FrenchFit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,381
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This bike? http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...8000&Type=bike

    It's a great price if it's in good shape, the Judy fork might be toast by now. The fit of these old Trek hardtails is not to everyone's liking, long top tube. You might love it or hate it, so you should ride it first.


    I have 3 similar bikes, 7000zx and 8000sl, love them.

  4. #4
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    If you're interested, take someone with you who's knowledgeable about bikes, mountain bikes in particular. Have your expert inspect the bike, both before and after your test-ride (at least a couple miles). As long as your prospective bike has no rust, weld, or fork issues, it should be just fine. However, if it doesn't fit, the condition of the bike won't matter too much. Fit is the most important factor!
    Its the perfect size for me its really just a matter of if its a good/fair deal. After all it is a 14 year old bike and I know it was worth $1000+ but is it worth 200 at this point?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Dilberto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pass. The internally dry-rotted elastomers inside that Judy XC fork are nearly impossible to replace...plus, that bike weighs a TON. The cantilever brakes don't stop the best and the shifters leaves little to be desired. Apply your $200 towards a new, 2012 Trek 3700 disc....for under $500. Thank me later....
    Last edited by Dilberto; 05-31-12 at 08:29 AM.
    2001 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra - Shimano XTR/SRAM X0; Magura, Velocity Blunt SL
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro - SRAM XX; Bontrager RXXXL; Easton Haven; Rock Shox SID XX

  6. #6
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFit View Post
    This bike? http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...8000&Type=bike

    It's a great price if it's in good shape, the Judy fork might be toast by now. The fit of these old Trek hardtails is not to everyone's liking, long top tube. You might love it or hate it, so you should ride it first.


    I have 3 similar bikes, 7000zx and 8000sl, love them.
    I know very little about bikes. If it rides well do I need to worry about the Judy fork? Is there a way to test the fork?
    Last edited by kurite; 05-31-12 at 09:07 AM.

  7. #7
    Bike Junkie roccobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Posts
    8,891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's the original Judy, it's probably shot and the elastomers may have degraded so that there is play in the suspension. Maybe the fork was replaced. The bike I found no longer had a Judy that made it a good buy. The one I found was really light. Came with some nice components.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,267
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kurite View Post
    If it rides well do I need to worry about the Judy fork? Is there a way to test the fork?
    Very simply, does it go up and down smoothly, with no forward / backward movement.

    The Judy is an old elastomer design, which has long been suppassed now, the biggest issue was the elastomer which will probably be worn out now, with little possibility of replacement (they are around, as well as air converson kits, but are hard to find).

    For the bike, if it is the spec as the Bikepedia link, and it fits, if you think the price is good, it's good.

    Not sure why there are comments about bad shifting, it's got Shimano LX shifters & LX / XT mechs, and as long as they are setup correctly, they are a good gear system, the same with the brakes, ok, their not as good as discs, but they are good v-brakes.

  9. #9
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
    Very simply, does it go up and down smoothly, with no forward / backward movement.

    The Judy is an old elastomer design, which has long been suppassed now, the biggest issue was the elastomer which will probably be worn out now, with little possibility of replacement (they are around, as well as air converson kits, but are hard to find).

    For the bike, if it is the spec as the Bikepedia link, and it fits, if you think the price is good, it's good.

    Not sure why there are comments about bad shifting, it's got Shimano LX shifters & LX / XT mechs, and as long as they are setup correctly, they are a good gear system, the same with the brakes, ok, their not as good as discs, but they are good v-brakes.
    Im gonna use this bike mostly on streets. Does it even matter if the judy is any good?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,267
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It matters, as it could affect the handling, if you are not taking the bike off road, would look to swapout the fork for a rigid one, these can normally be picked up cheaply at bike shops; as the bike has an aheadset, all you need is a non-threaded 1 18th" fork with a matching length steerer tube.

  11. #11
    In search of moar cowbell dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that I am recommending it in this particular case, but Suspension Fork Parts sells fresh elstomer kits for many old elastomer forks, including the '98 Judys.

    http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/e...d&productId=85


    (At $50 for the set, you'd have to really love that old fork; but, hey, they are out there for those that chose.)


    Or for $30, Wings Suspension has direct-replacement spring sets to ditch the elastomers altogether:

    http://wings-suspension.com/rockshox.html
    Last edited by dminor; 05-31-12 at 11:45 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member IthaDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    My Bikes
    Click on the #YOLO
    Posts
    4,651
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it the same one you linked in this thread? http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...about-this-one

    If so, why didnt you just bump that thread? And if it is that one, stay away, too much weirdness going on, even at $200.







    Quote Originally Posted by me, in your other thread
    Why does that judy have two braces? and why are there canti brakes and lx cranks from like 94?

    Stay away, aluminum can be problematic if you don't know the history of the bike.

    Ask this guy for pics- http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/3045333123.html sometimes these can work you for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by IthaDan; 05-31-12 at 02:49 PM.

    Shimano : Click :: Campy :: Snap :: SRAM : Bang

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,267
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that's the bike, it is a bit strange, the bike stock would have come with v brakes, why anyone would want to go back to Canti's is strange to start with.

    Also, the bike is way too big for the rider as set up, far too little seatpost showing, and a stubby stem fitted which is more for a DH bike, not an XC one like this.

    The Judy's do look to be in OK condition, as they haven't collapsed which is an indication that the elastomers may still have some life left, but what is going on with fitting a 1995 removable Judy brace to a Judy with an integrated brace! if the integrated brace is cracked, would consider the whole fork scrap due to the replacement cost of the lowers.

  14. #14
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
    If that's the bike, it is a bit strange, the bike stock would have come with v brakes, why anyone would want to go back to Canti's is strange to start with.

    Also, the bike is way too big for the rider as set up, far too little seatpost showing, and a stubby stem fitted which is more for a DH bike, not an XC one like this.

    The Judy's do look to be in OK condition, as they haven't collapsed which is an indication that the elastomers may still have some life left, but what is going on with fitting a 1995 removable Judy brace to a Judy with an integrated brace! if the integrated brace is cracked, would consider the whole fork scrap due to the replacement cost of the lowers.
    Sorry no that was not the bike. It is this one:
    http://images.craigslist.org/5N65Kd5...1e49331598.jpg
    How does the judy fork look on this one?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,267
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice, and matches the orginainal description of only being ridden a few times.

  16. #16
    The Left Coast, USA FrenchFit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,381
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kurite View Post
    Im gonna use this bike mostly on streets. Does it even matter if the judy is any good?
    No it does not. If it sags when you mount or in turns or braking, it's a problem. Otherwise, no issues for street riding. I have a Indy XC on a older commuter zx, works great and I'm not gentle with it. I actually switched it out for a carbon rigid, the old XC was much nicer smoothing out potholes for my commute, switched back.

    Ride it; if it handles nice, buy it. My Sid Team MTB fork is pretty damn good, but it's a useless luxury on the steet.
    Last edited by FrenchFit; 06-01-12 at 12:13 AM.

  17. #17
    The Left Coast, USA FrenchFit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,381
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilberto View Post
    Pass. The internally dry-rotted elastomers inside that Judy XC fork are nearly impossible to replace...plus, that bike weighs a TON. The cantilever brakes don't stop the best and the shifters leaves little to be desired. Apply your $200 towards a new, 2012 Trek 3700 disc....for under $500. Thank me later....
    Wrong, wrong and wrong, It's stock with V brakes with Avid levers, not cantis, and they're going to be maintenance free compared to cheap discs, the July might last for 30 yrs on the street, the bike is Al with good components, i.e. it's reasonable light for an old MTB. The 8000 and 8500 were solid MTB performers in their day.

    A Trek 3700 semi-hybrid is a mommie bike, imho, with a crap Suntour fork and Altus RD, yuk.
    Last edited by FrenchFit; 06-01-12 at 12:17 AM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member IthaDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    My Bikes
    Click on the #YOLO
    Posts
    4,651
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kurite View Post
    Sorry no that was not the bike. It is this one:
    http://images.craigslist.org/5N65Kd5...1e49331598.jpg
    How does the judy fork look on this one?
    If that's the bike for $200, but that, like now, because that's a hell of a deal.

    Shimano : Click :: Campy :: Snap :: SRAM : Bang

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •