Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-12, 06:39 AM   #1
topher5150
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Spokes

I bought a Cannondal Trail 5 this spring and so far I have snapped four spokes in the rear tire. The guy at the bike shop said something about upgrading the rim if it continues. Is an upgrade the only thing that will prevent this from continuing, or is there a more economical alternative?
topher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 07:11 AM   #2
ncfisherman
Senior Member
 
ncfisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chapel Hill
Bikes: Canfield Yelli Screamy, Pivot Mach5, Specialized Roubaix, '65 Hercules, '79 Schwinn Stingray Lil Chic, '68 Schwinn Stingray Fastback, '89 Specialized Allez Epic, '86 Battaglin World Champion
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could be a couple things going on here...either the wheel was not properly built to begin with or it's not strong enough for your riding. At this rate, I would guarantee it will continue. I would unlace the wheel, check the rim, and possibly rebuild into a new rim - a wheel that's properly built(for it's intended purpose) is critical to having a reliable wheel. The quickest/easiest option would be to replace the whole wheel.
ncfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 09:36 AM   #3
wmodavis
Bill
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: HIGHLANDS RANCH, CO
Bikes: Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I bought a Cannondal Trail 5 this spring and so far I have snapped four spokes in the rear tire. The guy at the bike shop said something about upgrading the rim if it continues. Is an upgrade the only thing that will prevent this from continuing, or is there a more economical alternative?
I believe that as nc said it is a poor build of your wheels. But you have provided very little information to go by other than you are breaking spokes. It might help to know which side of rear wheel, where the breakage occurred (in middle, near nipple, at elbow), type of spoke (straight, butted, gauge), your weight and type of terrain you ride, spoke tensions (each side of wheel front & rear).

And I do not see how changing the rim would fix a spoke breaking problem unless it is a damages rim which results in uneven spoke tension to bring it into true.
wmodavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 09:59 AM   #4
topher5150
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmodavis View Post
I believe that as nc said it is a poor build of your wheels. But you have provided very little information to go by other than you are breaking spokes. It might help to know which side of rear wheel, where the breakage occurred (in middle, near nipple, at elbow), type of spoke (straight, butted, gauge), your weight and type of terrain you ride, spoke tensions (each side of wheel front & rear).

And I do not see how changing the rim would fix a spoke breaking problem unless it is a damages rim which results in uneven spoke tension to bring it into true.
I'm not to good with bike terminology, but I'll do my best to describe it.
They are breaking at the rim where they go through a collar. This is the back tire, not sure which side of the tire, or which type of spoke or any of that info. I weigh 280-290, I ride on sidewalks about half the time, and go trail riding the rest. This last break I heard it after hitting a bump on a trail, the one before it I set it down on the patio and POP another broken one. The other times it happened I didn't even notice until the breaks were making noise because the wheel was running out of round. As far as the specific info about what you asked the people at the bike shop have been fixing my bike so I don't really have that info.
topher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 11:09 PM   #5
gps_dr
GeoBiker / Mapper
 
gps_dr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2007 Gary Fisher Piranha & ~ 1984 Ross Mt Whitney
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am a bit on the heavier side like you on a hard tail MTB (Gary Fisher Piranah)....
Bike shop replaced the rim with a stiffer rim.
Still break an ocaissional spoke, all on the rear (some at hub, some at rim). Ended up getting the tool to remove cassette to allow me to thread new spokes in.
gps_dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 09:23 AM   #6
topher5150
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With a broken spoke I noticed a couple of times that the wheel would run out of round, is that always the case with a broken spoke?
topher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 10:47 AM   #7
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How old is the wheel. It may just need new spokes. I had the same problem a while back on a wheelset that didn't have that many miles on it. New drive side spokes fixed the issue.
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 11:12 AM   #8
topher5150
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66 View Post
How old is the wheel. It may just need new spokes. I had the same problem a while back on a wheelset that didn't have that many miles on it. New drive side spokes fixed the issue.
Not even a year old yet. It's a 2011, but it was sitting on the shelf until I bought it in early 2012
topher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 11:56 AM   #9
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
spokes don't normally get much stress on the shelf.
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 12:16 PM   #10
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
They are breaking at the rim where they go through a collar.
Just one more question: is the spoke itself breaking where it threads into the spoke nipple or is part of the nipple staying with the end of the spoke and the 'head' of the nipple breaking off in the rim? If it is the latter, it's very possible that the wheel could have been laced with alloy nipples instead of brass. Alloy nipples do not stand up to severe service - - and I would put clydesdale rider in the 'severe service' category.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 06:50 AM   #11
topher5150
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has always been a clean break from the top of the nipple
topher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 08:59 AM   #12
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So it's snapping off where the spoke meets the nipple and leaving the threaded part of the spoke inside the nipple?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 07:49 PM   #13
topher5150
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
So it's snapping off where the spoke meets the nipple and leaving the threaded part of the spoke inside the nipple?
Yes
topher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 10:38 PM   #14
roccobike
Bike Junkie
 
roccobike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Speialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount
Posts: 9,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If it were me, I'd replace the wheel with a hand built wheel from a custom builder, using stronger spokes and an upgraded rim designed for stressful use. I wouldn't re-use any of the spokes from the current wheel. So if you're replacing all the spokes and the rim, why not just start with a new, special built wheel. That should solve your problem.
__________________
Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator
roccobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 06:27 AM   #15
topher5150
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
If it were me, I'd replace the wheel with a hand built wheel from a custom builder, using stronger spokes and an upgraded rim designed for stressful use. I wouldn't re-use any of the spokes from the current wheel. So if you're replacing all the spokes and the rim, why not just start with a new, special built wheel. That should solve your problem.
as much as I would love to I don't have that kind of money for anything custom hand built
topher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 AM.