Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-05, 09:49 AM   #1
SoFly
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes: KHS FR1500
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Random Question That Has been Bugging Me.....

OK, when people write down the specs of their bike, why is the fork always written as plural? For example "Here is my V-!0 with Super-Monsters" or "Check out my sweet bike with Dirt Jumper III's on it." I mean theres not more than one fork on the bike. Just curious.
SoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 09:59 AM   #2
Aaron_F
A guy who rides bikes
 
Aaron_F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mid-Missouri
Bikes:
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They probably do it because they see others doing it. There's no telling where it started. I've also noticed some bikers refer to derailleurs as "derailyers" as opposed to "deraillers", which is what they are; they derail the chain. The French spelling, which we all go by for some reason, seems to have many confused as to the correct pronuniation.
Aaron_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 11:31 AM   #3
mariano
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Roanoke, VA
Bikes: GT Zaskar
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe it is the same reason that you say "I wetted my pants". How many pants did you wet? In the dictionary, pant is the entry, but pants are used. Some words have the same meaning in plural or singular. Fork looks like a word of this sort...
mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 11:46 AM   #4
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It should be fork as in the kitchen utensil.
__________________
Signature.
Dannihilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 11:53 AM   #5
hooligan
Just give'er.
 
hooligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 04 Scrap
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exactly what I was thinking, mariano. Also, perhaps it has to do with a pant having to legs and a fork having two legs. I broke my FORK. I have dirt JUMPERS On it (2 legs). Thus, I can also ride with 1 leg of the fork and say I have a DIRT JUMPER on it. I can impress my friends, verbally, by snagging a fork that got cut in half by a reckless dirt jumper. I have a "lefty" on my bike. Not "I have lefties, on my bike".
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 11:58 AM   #6
Drunken Chicken
Senior Member
 
Drunken Chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Spain, although I'm Hungarian
Bikes: Check signature
Posts: 1,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think RST Gilla Plus T5 100mm fork sounds better then RST Gilla Plus T5 100mm forks... Maybe some people think of a fork as one "side" of the fork... hm. Confusing.
Drunken Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 12:05 PM   #7
hooligan
Just give'er.
 
hooligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 04 Scrap
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drunken, people don't say "I got forks". They say the name of the fork in a plural or posessive form.
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 12:49 PM   #8
PWRDbyTRD
Toyota Racing Dev.
 
PWRDbyTRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN baby!
Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux
Posts: 3,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never done that.
PWRDbyTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 01:45 PM   #9
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.
 
jeff williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.
Posts: 4,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forks have tines in the kitchen.
Bike forks have blades? The fork has two blades.
Who cares really, there are worse language usages.
That's gross! =That's 144!?

Last edited by jeff williams; 02-14-05 at 06:15 AM.
jeff williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 02:36 PM   #10
littleriderdave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do you reckon that it is becasue the drop-outs look like the prongs on a fork, and there are two legs, so two sets off drop-outs, so they say super monsterS because of this?
nah
littleriderdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 02:44 PM   #11
cryogenic
Campy or bust :p
 
cryogenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey commuter build
Posts: 3,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it just me or does this argument come up about 2-3 times a week?
cryogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 03:09 PM   #12
trekkie820
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Bikes: 2004 Trek 4600, 1980's Univega Supra Sport, 2006 Lemond Reno
Posts: 2,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm confused. I have always heard (and I'll assume were talking hard-tails here) "I have a(n) *insert over-priced name brand* with a Rock Shox SID World Cup, Psylo, Duke whatever. I have never hear one refered to as "I have a Specialized Stumpjumper with a Rock Shox SID World Cups." That really sounds dumb. If they are talking about a full squishy, then I can see it, because Rock Shox makes a SID rear shock too.
trekkie820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 05:14 PM   #13
mariano
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Roanoke, VA
Bikes: GT Zaskar
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a specialized with Rock Shox
I have a specialized with Rock Shoxs << I go with this one

Maybe it comes from adding the word "shocks" and transfering the plural to the brand:

I have a specialized with Manitou shocks
I have a specialized with Manitous

I guess it is the same as "clip" and "clipless". Pleople got used to say "clipless" to the shoes and pedals that actually CLIP together.
mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 05:15 PM   #14
cryogenic
Campy or bust :p
 
cryogenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey commuter build
Posts: 3,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkie820
If they are talking about a full squishy, then I can see it, because Rock Shox makes a SID rear shock too.
They do? I only see the Ario and the Bar on their website.
cryogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 05:15 PM   #15
PWRDbyTRD
Toyota Racing Dev.
 
PWRDbyTRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN baby!
Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux
Posts: 3,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariano
I have a specialized with Rock Shox
I have a specialized with Rock Shoxs << I go with this one

Maybe it comes from adding the word "shocks" and transfering the plural to the brand:

I have a specialized with Manitou shocks
I have a specialized with Manitous

I guess it is the same as "clip" and "clipless". Pleople got used to say "clipless" to the shoes and pedals that actually CLIP together.
aren't they called clipless b/c they don't have a toe clip???
PWRDbyTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 05:29 PM   #16
mariano
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Roanoke, VA
Bikes: GT Zaskar
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRDbyTRD
aren't they called clipless b/c they don't have a toe clip???
Yes, but when you go to you bike store and ask for clipless pedals, doesn't it sound wrong?

clip (v): to hold in a tight grip // clipless ??

In the future when toe clip pedals will be hardly seen, are you still going to call them clipless?
mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 05:31 PM   #17
PWRDbyTRD
Toyota Racing Dev.
 
PWRDbyTRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN baby!
Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux
Posts: 3,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, it doesn't sound wrong...they're clipless, meaning no toe clips and straps, how would clip and strap-less pedals sound? LoL.
PWRDbyTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 06:32 PM   #18
trekkie820
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Bikes: 2004 Trek 4600, 1980's Univega Supra Sport, 2006 Lemond Reno
Posts: 2,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryogenic
They do? I only see the Ario and the Bar on their website.
I think the older (2004) Trek Fuel 98-100 had full SID. Maybe not, but I think. I can't find the archives on their site.
Edit: Found it!
FRAME OCLV 120 Carbon/OCLV Carbon stays

SUSPENSION RockShox SID World Cup

WHEELS Bontrager Race X Lite

DRIVETRAIN:
crankset Shimano XTR 44/32/22
rear derailleur Shimano XTR

SIZES 15.5, 17.5, 19.5, 21.5"

COLORS Carbon Cloth
Shimano LogoBontrager Logo
Bike Photo
FULL SPECIFICATIONS

FRAMESET:
FRAME: OCLV 120 Carbon/OCLV Carbon stays
Frame available.
FORK: RockShox SID World Cup
REAR SHOCK: RockShox SID XC

WHEELS:
WHEELS: Bontrager Race X Lite
TIRES: Bontrager Super X folding, 26x2.1", 49/48

DRIVETRAIN:
SHIFTERS: Shimano XTR
FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano XTR
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano XTR
CRANKSET: Shimano XTR 44/32/22
CASSETTE: Shimano XTR 11-34, 9 speed
PEDALS: Shimano 520, clipless

COMPONENTS:
SADDLE: San Marco Aspide Team, Titanium/leather
SEATPOST: Bontrager Race XXX Lite
HANDLEBARS: Bontrager Race XXX Lite
STEM: Bontrager Race XXX Lite, 7 degree
HEADSET: Cane Creek S-6 Aheadset
BRAKESET: Avid SD Ultimate w/Shimano XTR levers
trekkie820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 09:09 PM   #19
SoFly
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes: KHS FR1500
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Case in point...... first sentence..........
total newb question (front suspension adjustment)
SoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 09:13 PM   #20
PWRDbyTRD
Toyota Racing Dev.
 
PWRDbyTRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN baby!
Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux
Posts: 3,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFly
Case in point...... first sentence..........
total newb question (front suspension adjustment)
I swear if they mad me a mod I'd have to change a few things around here....
PWRDbyTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 09:25 PM   #21
trekkie820
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Bikes: 2004 Trek 4600, 1980's Univega Supra Sport, 2006 Lemond Reno
Posts: 2,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, this is about the dumbest, most pointless thread I have ever seen. Obviously we all need to work on our English grammar skills, because a FORK is singular. Example: I have a Rock Shox Judy TT FORK on my bicycle. I want to buy a Rock Shox Duke XC. I would then have two FORKS. Would you you say my rear derailleurs is a SRAM X.7s? NO!! Raiyn, help me out here.
trekkie820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 09:25 PM   #22
SoFly
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes: KHS FR1500
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whats that supposed to mean?
SoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 09:26 PM   #23
SoFly
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes: KHS FR1500
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRDbyTRD
I swear if they mad me a mod I'd have to change a few things around here....
What is that supposed to mean?
SoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 09:33 PM   #24
Killer B
THIS BIKE'S 4 U !!!!
 
Killer B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Western, NC .... (Pisgah, Bent Creek, DuPont)
Bikes: HARO Xtreme X2, K2 Lithium 3.0, K2 Beast, K2 Flyin' Monkey, DiamondBack Accent EX, DiamondBack Axis TR
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Same reason it's called a "toothbrush" instead of a teethbrush. Hillbilly termage I suppose....
Wait a minute, I'm a Hillybilly, so that can't be the reason.... Sorry

Who CareZ ?
Killer B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 02:49 PM   #25
pnj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I call them (it?) forks. but sometimes I say fork.

how about the thing you put your grips on? you know, your handebars? it's only one as well. yet I never hear anyone complaining that people say bars instead of bar.
pnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:57 AM.