Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How To Build A 1x9, 1x10, 1x11 Drivetrain For Your Mountain Bike



    I've put together an easy to follow guide on how to build a mountain bike 1X drivetrain. The guide features information on what products you need for a 1X drivetrain and how you should select them.

    I've included as many Made In The USA parts as I could find as well.

    How To Build A Mountain Bike 1X Drivetrain Made Easy - 1x9 1x10 1x11
    OldGloryMTB.com | American Made Mountain Biking

  2. #2
    Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Posts
    5,183
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice post, good info! That Blackbox RD is gorgeous. I didn't know there was such a variety.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

    I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

  3. #3
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    18,807
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, the only 11 speed mtb group outthereis already 1x11(Sram XXI) and that doesn't even need a chain guide. Will be interesting to see how race face's wide/narrow chainrings fare.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  4. #4
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim? scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    East coast
    My Bikes
    hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser
    Posts
    3,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannihilator View Post
    Well, the only 11 speed mtb group outthereis already 1x11(Sram XXI) and that doesn't even need a chain guide. Will be interesting to see how race face's wide/narrow chainrings fare.
    I'm betting it'll work. But...not as well as the SRAM one with the chain shaped to match. I'm waiting on the Wolftooth ones to try on my 88mm BCD XTR crank, and a 30T for my splined SRAM crank. I plan to still run an upper guide, just for piece of mind. Plus, I'm thinking when things start to wear a bit, you'll then be prone to having some slippage/droppage. They and other aftermarkeket companies are all over this.

    Running all three bikes now without lower guides, top only and bash protection only on two. Working well, so far... I'm thinking to really only toss the lower roller bits onto the big bike when heading to lift terrain. Haven't really needed it on the local stuff so far, since sticking a clutch rear mech on the bike. IMO, that is key to getting these rings to work well, not just the teeth - just can't see them working as well without a clutch rear mech, particularly on "rowdy" terrain.
    I believe the clouds in my coffee more than the weatherman on t.v.

  5. #5
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    18,807
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    I'm betting it'll work. But...not as well as the SRAM one with the chain shaped to match. I'm waiting on the Wolftooth ones to try on my 88mm BCD XTR crank, and a 30T for my splined SRAM crank. I plan to still run an upper guide, just for piece of mind. Plus, I'm thinking when things start to wear a bit, you'll then be prone to having some slippage/droppage. They and other aftermarkeket companies are all over this.

    Running all three bikes now without lower guides, top only and bash protection only on two. Working well, so far... I'm thinking to really only toss the lower roller bits onto the big bike when heading to lift terrain. Haven't really needed it on the local stuff so far, since sticking a clutch rear mech on the bike. IMO, that is key to getting these rings to work well, not just the teeth - just can't see them working as well without a clutch rear mech, particularly on "rowdy" terrain.
    Would we even be talking about this if there weren't clutch rear mech's? The sram one probably will work better than the race face one, they did do the development of it mated with the specific chain.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  6. #6
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim? scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    East coast
    My Bikes
    hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser
    Posts
    3,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannihilator View Post
    Would we even be talking about this if there weren't clutch rear mech's? The sram one probably will work better than the race face one, they did do the development of it mated with the specific chain.

    Of course we wouldn't, and of course it will.

    I've read a few threads here and there of people wanting to use these rings with non-clutch setups. It'll work, and surely help, but obviously not as good as the full meal deal.

    If I hadn't already swapped, would still try the rings with the idea of grabbing a clutch derailleur when the current one on the bike goes belly-up.
    I believe the clouds in my coffee more than the weatherman on t.v.

  7. #7
    Chainstay Brake Mafia
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,853
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i will have to look into these clutch type RDs.. i run a 1x7 without a chain guide and rough terrain can make me lose my chain if i don't keep tension on the chainring
    1986 Diamondback Apex ~ 1988 Diamondback Ascent EX ~ 1989 Jamis Dakar ~ 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp
    1993 Trek 8300 Composite ~ 1993 Diamondback Axis Team Titanium ~ 1995 Diamondback Apex

    Join the Chainstay Brake Mafia!

  8. #8
    Bike Junkie roccobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Posts
    8,891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice thread, thanks for sharing.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •