Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-05, 12:35 AM   #1
J-McKech
What?
Thread Starter
 
J-McKech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: N. Tx
Bikes: Bianchi Brava(retired), Surly Instigator(retired)
Posts: 1,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NorthShore question

I have been reading about how the people up on the North Shore want the guys to stop building. I can't really figure out why they have been getting in trouble but it seems Digger has gotten in the most trouble for building trails. My question is, if he is so great at building trails (and we know he is, just look at some of the stuff he and friends built) why doesn't he leave and go somewhere where someone WANTS his trails. I know we would KILL for some trails like that down here in texas.
J-McKech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 01:10 AM   #2
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its not just the trails. The north shore offers completely unique terrain. I have shore trails near me but they can never be real shore trails. North shore due to the rain forest, steep terrain and deadwood etc offer a very unique ride that can't really be duplicated (maybe spots in oregon and other rainforest areas)

Digger gets into trouble due to the extreme of his trails. They are a site to behold as 99% of the riders would crap their pants standing on top of one of his stunts let alone riding it. Crist (the main guy against the shore) is a knob and has a thing against ANYONE beyond the elderly being in those trails. The problem is two fold

1 - crist - knob - claims many many problems with the trails but in the end has a personal vendeta fueled by an unknown hatred for all things bicycle. He has some real valid issues however, the new builders instead of working with the environment are working against it, there is also a serious problem with old trails becoming old and broken hence dengerous. Also...trails are freaking dangerous. Many injuries occur and it is very difficult to get injured riders out, let alone really expensive.
2 - the people who own houses. Fromme (the mountain most people know of the shore) has a high elevation residential area. With no parking or other ameneties at the base of the trails (most trails come from and pour into a certain RICH RICH RICH residential area) kids are changing and being general nuisances in the neighbourhood. With the shores popularity increasing and traffic going beyond the core riders to people from all over the world. The ignorance level increase expodentially (go to any tourist town and ask locals how people visiting act) However this is not a tourist town, its a simple residential area stuck at the base of the most famous mountain bike site in the world. Several options have been offered to fix this (pour trails our elsewhere and remove lower trails that are literally in peoples back yards, also create a parking lot that is semi private etc)

In the end things don't look good on fromme, but this could also be why Cypress is opening a lift assisted shore mountain (cypress is another 'north shore' mountain) and digger I believe is building most of the trails there. Remember, the north shore riders are very active and fighting tooth and nail against one nut AND against the bad riders who give a bad name. Its gonna be tough but really the shore has gotten tooooo popular for its own good.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 06:51 AM   #3
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your right about tourist areas. I live in a big vacation area here in N.C. and it seems that people check in there brain at the entrance to Pisgah.You would not believe the stupid crap I have seen people do.As far as the Shore,my friend was there 2 yrs ago and said the parking problem was out of control.He was with a group testing the Demo 9 and Cam kinda gave them the heads up that something like this was going to happen.
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 01:44 PM   #4
J-McKech
What?
Thread Starter
 
J-McKech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: N. Tx
Bikes: Bianchi Brava(retired), Surly Instigator(retired)
Posts: 1,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a website just dedicated to the trails themselves? I have been to nsmb.com and they have lots of good write ups but no trail write up's specifically. I would like to read more about freeriding as a cultural standpoint, being that I have to write a paper on culture and I would like to do it on freeriding/northshore/whistler and that life-style. Hook me up!
J-McKech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 03:00 PM   #5
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
www.gutsploder.com is a website for maps. Other than that look through nsmb. Lots of advocate sites etc. Have you looked for nsmba?
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 07:35 PM   #6
J-McKech
What?
Thread Starter
 
J-McKech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: N. Tx
Bikes: Bianchi Brava(retired), Surly Instigator(retired)
Posts: 1,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I found nsmba but only scrolled through it a short bit, didn't go much into detail on it. It's too bad no one has written a book on this subject. I mean, the way I see it it's like you have the biking community and inside that you have the mountain biking community and both of those things are interelated but inside the mountain biking community is this vast underground following of freeride. These freeride guys seem to have there own set of rules and take things to the extreme. I see it as a mix between MX and BMX and they have there own flavor.

That is a great intro to my paper!
J-McKech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 07:41 PM   #7
arboc!
Senior Member
 
arboc!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: specialized p.1, redline single x
Posts: 1,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Its not just the trails. The north shore offers completely unique terrain. I have shore trails near me but they can never be real shore trails. North shore due to the rain forest, steep terrain and deadwood etc offer a very unique ride that can't really be duplicated (maybe spots in oregon and other rainforest areas)

Digger gets into trouble due to the extreme of his trails. They are a site to behold as 99% of the riders would crap their pants standing on top of one of his stunts let alone riding it. Crist (the main guy against the shore) is a knob and has a thing against ANYONE beyond the elderly being in those trails. The problem is two fold

1 - crist - knob - claims many many problems with the trails but in the end has a personal vendeta fueled by an unknown hatred for all things bicycle. He has some real valid issues however, the new builders instead of working with the environment are working against it, there is also a serious problem with old trails becoming old and broken hence dengerous. Also...trails are freaking dangerous. Many injuries occur and it is very difficult to get injured riders out, let alone really expensive.
2 - the people who own houses. Fromme (the mountain most people know of the shore) has a high elevation residential area. With no parking or other ameneties at the base of the trails (most trails come from and pour into a certain RICH RICH RICH residential area) kids are changing and being general nuisances in the neighbourhood. With the shores popularity increasing and traffic going beyond the core riders to people from all over the world. The ignorance level increase expodentially (go to any tourist town and ask locals how people visiting act) However this is not a tourist town, its a simple residential area stuck at the base of the most famous mountain bike site in the world. Several options have been offered to fix this (pour trails our elsewhere and remove lower trails that are literally in peoples back yards, also create a parking lot that is semi private etc)

In the end things don't look good on fromme, but this could also be why Cypress is opening a lift assisted shore mountain (cypress is another 'north shore' mountain) and digger I believe is building most of the trails there. Remember, the north shore riders are very active and fighting tooth and nail against one nut AND against the bad riders who give a bad name. Its gonna be tough but really the shore has gotten tooooo popular for its own good.
only a guess, but you feel pretty strongly about this. Leave it to the local to write us an essay.
arboc! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 08:28 PM   #8
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerTheHill
Yeah, I found nsmba but only scrolled through it a short bit, didn't go much into detail on it. It's too bad no one has written a book on this subject. I mean, the way I see it it's like you have the biking community and inside that you have the mountain biking community and both of those things are interelated but inside the mountain biking community is this vast underground following of freeride. These freeride guys seem to have there own set of rules and take things to the extreme. I see it as a mix between MX and BMX and they have there own flavor.

That is a great intro to my paper!
Buy a movie called the Emergence. It really goes into the REAL history of shore and freeriding. And even touches on the origins of mountain biking. Shore riding, timeline wise, isn't that far off Marin county. Great movie but very documentary oriented.

Quote:
only a guess, but you feel pretty strongly about this. Leave it to the local to write us an essay.
I could have said more. Its unfortunate, but really, what it boils down to, the north shores popularity is actually its demise. If it never became popular it wouldn't be having these issues.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 08:44 PM   #9
arboc!
Senior Member
 
arboc!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: specialized p.1, redline single x
Posts: 1,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah, i couldnt agree more... that sucks huge, i just comprehend it, because the spots around here are in no way flocked to by bikers
arboc! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 01:25 PM   #10
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some good news

http://www.nsmb.com/shore_news/crist2_02_05.php

Wohoo democracy at work
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 02:22 PM   #11
J-McKech
What?
Thread Starter
 
J-McKech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: N. Tx
Bikes: Bianchi Brava(retired), Surly Instigator(retired)
Posts: 1,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome awesome. Looks to be making progress.
J-McKech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 AM.