Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    addicted to coffee velotimbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Queen Charlotte, British Columbia
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Gunnar Roadie, Trek Fuel EX, Fisher Twenty Niner
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Camping in Moab - any more free?

    So, I am headed to Moab again in March. I used to always camp out past Wall Street in the BLM free camping zone, but it got out of hand out there, and now they are charging.

    Does anyone know of any more free camping in the Moab area? Or maybe the cheapest?

    As far as I know, $10 per night on the BLM land on 128 road might be the cheapest, but I am hoping someone knows more than I do!
    gunnarroadiesurlylonghaultruckergiantcypressstgunnarruffiantrekfuel90

  2. #2
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velotimbe
    So, I am headed to Moab again in March. I used to always camp out past Wall Street in the BLM free camping zone, but it got out of hand out there, and now they are charging.

    Does anyone know of any more free camping in the Moab area? Or maybe the cheapest?

    As far as I know, $10 per night on the BLM land on 128 road might be the cheapest, but I am hoping someone knows more than I do!

    Sorry that I can't answer your question, but I plan on going to Moab in April. Please tell me how the riding is, and if you find good camping places, let me know as well

  3. #3
    contrarian lala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    CO Springs
    My Bikes
    80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler
    Posts
    2,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Higher ground for the apocalypse!

  4. #4
    addicted to coffee velotimbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Queen Charlotte, British Columbia
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Gunnar Roadie, Trek Fuel EX, Fisher Twenty Niner
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, that helps tremendously.

    thanks
    gunnarroadiesurlylonghaultruckergiantcypressstgunnarruffiantrekfuel90

  5. #5
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, would you trust your bike on the camp grounds over night? Me and my friends all have pretty high end bikes, and I am worried about their safety.

    Also, are there showers or public washrooms at all on these free camp grounds? From what I've read on the page, I'm going to assume no, but I just want to double check.

    Thanks

    Ming

  6. #6
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim? scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    East coast
    My Bikes
    hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser
    Posts
    3,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks_219
    Oh yeah, would you trust your bike on the camp grounds over night? Me and my friends all have pretty high end bikes, and I am worried about their safety.

    Also, are there showers or public washrooms at all on these free camp grounds? From what I've read on the page, I'm going to assume no, but I just want to double check.

    Thanks

    Ming
    if you go into town, either take the bikes with you, or leave someone at camp with them.

    showers/water at moab campgrounds is a thing you have to take care of yourself. as in, bring water with (fill up at the spring) or buy water jugs. and either stink from no shower, or invest in a solar shower. *the* best car camping things i've ever had.

    there are a few private owned camp places that have water/showers, but then they defeat the purpose of dirtbag cheap camping, if you're into that.

    i usually camp off 128 by the river somewhere, or off sand flats rd. bring a few big water jugs to refill every day or two at the spring (and for the sunshower). once every 2-3 days i'll hit the hostel or one of several places you can pop into to pay a couple bucks and take a real shower.
    I believe the clouds in my coffee more than the weatherman on t.v.

  7. #7
    Senior Member sparks_219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    if you go into town, either take the bikes with you, or leave someone at camp with them.

    showers/water at moab campgrounds is a thing you have to take care of yourself. as in, bring water with (fill up at the spring) or buy water jugs. and either stink from no shower, or invest in a solar shower. *the* best car camping things i've ever had.

    there are a few private owned camp places that have water/showers, but then they defeat the purpose of dirtbag cheap camping, if you're into that.

    i usually camp off 128 by the river somewhere, or off sand flats rd. bring a few big water jugs to refill every day or two at the spring (and for the sunshower). once every 2-3 days i'll hit the hostel or one of several places you can pop into to pay a couple bucks and take a real shower.
    That is definitely good to know! Does everyone there have fairly high end bikes so ours dont stand out so much? Also, what do you do with your bike over night? I'm worried about punks swipping my bike over night.

    As far as camping goes, I dont mind paying $10 per night just to have access to a shower and bathroom. I really donno how comfortable I am with taking a dump outside

    Thanks again

    Ming

  8. #8
    addicted to coffee velotimbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Queen Charlotte, British Columbia
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Gunnar Roadie, Trek Fuel EX, Fisher Twenty Niner
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for my bike, I have a lockable Yakima system, I usually leave them attached to that. So far, no problems, knock on wood.

    As for showering, I used to go the the lazy lizard hostel, $2 for a shower.

    thanks for the heads up on the new camping regs, i think Kane Creek seems to be the new place to be. Sand Flats also doesnt look that bad, but that is usually full of throttle twisters.
    gunnarroadiesurlylonghaultruckergiantcypressstgunnarruffiantrekfuel90

  9. #9
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim? scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    East coast
    My Bikes
    hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser
    Posts
    3,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks_219
    That is definitely good to know! Does everyone there have fairly high end bikes so ours dont stand out so much? Also, what do you do with your bike over night? I'm worried about punks swipping my bike over night.

    As far as camping goes, I dont mind paying $10 per night just to have access to a shower and bathroom. I really donno how comfortable I am with taking a dump outside

    Thanks again

    Ming

    bikes? everything from low end beaters, to uber spendy yuppy trendy super spendy unobtanium bikes. lock 'em to your car/truck/whatever.

    most public/blm camping has toilets (non-flush types) but most don't have showers. if you want a shwere, either just stop in at the lazy lizard, or pay more to camp at a privately owned place that has 'em.

    everyone else is going to stink, so it's not too big a deal if you do too!
    I believe the clouds in my coffee more than the weatherman on t.v.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •