Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50
  1. #26
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Posts
    4,419
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to get into a 29 v 26 debate - where I live, just about everyone is buying into the 29 craze and I can see from manufacturers that is the trend but... again I am not an expert or know all that much about bikes... but have been riding a long time and well, just don't get the whole 29er thing (and yes I have tried them out).

    I understand the wheels roll over obstacles better... well if obstacles are a problem, why not road ride instead? I thought the whole point of mountain biking was learning the skills of negotiating over roots, rocks, through sand, switchbacks etc all things roadies don't encounter (I am old school that way). Now I see new riders buying 29ers and expecting them to do everything the 26er does - it can't and won't ever. These guys are just tearing up an d destroying old established trails trying though... they never learn skills and they never learn patience - its all about "how fast can I go without anything getting in my way"... is that about it?

    BTW I recently sold my Stumpjumper hardtail - a 26er - with all the custom upgrades and wheels it weighed in around 24 lbs. and it was fast! I would bet a skilled rider on that bike would beat a skilled rider on a 29er any day of the week!

    AND maybe I don't understand the OP but I thought he said he paid $1900 for the bike - it should weigh less than 34 lbs at that price...
    Last edited by Pamestique; 06-26-13 at 09:55 AM.
    ______________________________________________________________

    Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

  2. #27
    Senior Member Papa Wheelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boise, ID
    My Bikes
    Specialized Stumpjumper EVO R; Salsa Spearfish 2; Cannondale Six13
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that is boils down to what one person wants, vs what another person expects, vs what somebody else will accept. You really CANNOT compare any of the situations. Suspension forks made our rigid bikes more comfortable, which REALLY made them faster, for longer periods of time. Are you riding a rigid bike, or did you buy into the whole "suspension fork" trend? When do "trends" stop, and it is actually progression? The point that YOU stopped accepting product progression, is that were everybody else should have also stopped? I like to ride a road bike, but that is a totally different challenge than mountain biking. I like to roll over any and all obstacles that I can, when mountain biking, but I want my risks cut to a minimum. I find that my larger wheeled 29'er makes the risks far less. If I wanted to simply hone my skills to their highest potential, I would go rigid, and try to shred the gnar. I am going to end up in the hospital though, so what is the point in that? Progression is about making the bike work better, allowing me to go faster, for longer durations of time, over more challenging terrain. You can dismiss what every engineer is trying to do (make bikes work better) as some marketing "trend" all you want.
    Last edited by Papa Wheelie; 06-26-13 at 10:39 AM.

  3. #28
    Senior Member slowride454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Canfield Yelli Screamy, GT Karakoram SS, Specialized Roubaix, Soma Double Cross
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    last week I rode a tight single track course and was humbled to say the least on my 29er. There was one tight RH switchback I could not navigate at all. I had to almost stop. A friend was riding his backup bike, a very old 26" single speed no suspension classic. He let me borrow it. WOW! I am not a good rider, I am old, fat, uncoordinated, and lack bravery. That bike made me feel like a little kid again on my 20" BMX bikes. The single speed made my knees feel like I was 80 going up hills though. It sure got me thinking. How much fun would a carbon 26" with a 1X11 with an aggressive geometry be in the tight stuff?
    Specialized Roubaix - Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy - GT Karakoram SS - Soma Double Cross Disc

  4. #29
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    a 26er - with all the custom upgrades and wheels it weighed in around 24 lbs. and it was fast! I would bet a skilled rider on that bike would beat a skilled rider on a 29er any day of the week!
    Why?

  5. #30
    Senior Member Papa Wheelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boise, ID
    My Bikes
    Specialized Stumpjumper EVO R; Salsa Spearfish 2; Cannondale Six13
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the guys in my normal riding group rides a Gary Fisher 26" full suspender. He said that he likes to ride it because "it is more fun to jump stuff, on the downhills." One day I was following him along, and he was shredding the gnar! He must have been getting 5" off the ground, and jumping maybe 1 or 2 feet down the trail! Once I saw that, I had no more questions.......

  6. #31
    Two-Wheeled Aficionado ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wichita
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Blur, CX bike, roadie, & others
    Posts
    4,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL @ sarcastic post.

    My 26" FS is a size XL and it weighs 24.5 pounds. It has 'only' 115mm rear travel, but I'm taking it to Colorado for a week to ride in the Breckenridge / Keystone area. (It's a family vacation and that's the destination for all manner of hiking, biking & kayaking. I know there is way radder stuff to ride elsewhere in CO.)

  7. #32
    Senior Member Papa Wheelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boise, ID
    My Bikes
    Specialized Stumpjumper EVO R; Salsa Spearfish 2; Cannondale Six13
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all boils down to what you think you need, and what you can actually get by with. I picked this beast up a week ago. I have taken it on four lunch time rides with my buddies. Each ride is about 15 miles long, of single-track, with about 1,000 to 1,500 feet of elevation gain. You know what? The bike did JUST FINE. Trek730.jpg

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    I don't want to get into a 29 v 26 debate - where I live, just about everyone is buying into the 29 craze and I can see from manufacturers that is the trend but... again I am not an expert or know all that much about bikes... but have been riding a long time and well, just don't get the whole 29er thing (and yes I have tried them out).

    I understand the wheels roll over obstacles better... well if obstacles are a problem, why not road ride instead? I thought the whole point of mountain biking was learning the skills of negotiating over roots, rocks, through sand, switchbacks etc all things roadies don't encounter (I am old school that way). Now I see new riders buying 29ers and expecting them to do everything the 26er does - it can't and won't ever. These guys are just tearing up an d destroying old established trails trying though... they never learn skills and they never learn patience - its all about "how fast can I go without anything getting in my way"... is that about it?

    BTW I recently sold my Stumpjumper hardtail - a 26er - with all the custom upgrades and wheels it weighed in around 24 lbs. and it was fast! I would bet a skilled rider on that bike would beat a skilled rider on a 29er any day of the week!

    AND maybe I don't understand the OP but I thought he said he paid $1900 for the bike - it should weigh less than 34 lbs at that price...
    1900.00 is very low price for a new full suspension....I cant control the weight,i didnt create the bike.When you dont spend much,your gonna sacrifice something.

  9. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    329
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    34lbs? Time to remove the reflectors. Maybe shave the grips.

  10. #35
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Posts
    4,419
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zenout View Post
    1900.00 is very low price for a new full suspension....I cant control the weight,i didnt create the bike.When you dont spend much,your gonna sacrifice something.
    My Juliana I purchased last year was around that (I think $1875) and even before upgrade it weighed much less; around 28 lbs. It was a good fully even before I upgraded (but I could not help myself) Of course it is a 26er so doesn't have the heavier weight of 29 wheels.
    ______________________________________________________________

    Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

  11. #36
    Redheaded Stepchild samburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    GA, USA
    My Bikes
    A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out
    Posts
    1,909
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My FS 26" came out at 32.x# weighed standing up on a regular bathroom scale. Numbers may have been slightly off since I was holding it up. And FWIW I've put somewhere around $1700 or so in it building it up from sale/closeout/lightly-used parts. I haven't weighed it since I first finished the build & I've swapped out the shock & a few other small parts since then. Its current weight is approximately 'light enough to put on the roof rack after a long ride' pounds.
    Last edited by samburger; 06-29-13 at 11:28 AM.
    just a n00b with an ego

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked a few reviews and listed bike weights for FS 29ers in that price range, and around 30 lbs.(assuming the weights listed are without pedals) seems pretty common. A few are a pound or two lighter. Jamis gives the weight of their XCR 29 Sport as 32.25 lbs. Add pedals to that and it's getting close to what you say your bike weighs. So yeah, your Camber may be on the heftier end of the scale in that price range, but I wouldn't worry about it.

  13. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    329
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't want to get in a debate, but uh....I'm slow as **** either way. It's good to know my old pos fsr xc is a lightweight by today's standards though. I feel faster now.

  14. #39
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My HT 29er, running race wheels, 100mm RS SID RCT3, and 36t x 11-36t is just over 18lbs.

    My 26er FS AM bike moves between just above 24lbs and just below 26lbs, depending on tires. Santa Cruz Blur LTC. 150mm front, 140mm rear.
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  15. #40
    Senior Member formicaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct me if I'm wrong(and I usually am), but as far as I know weight really only matters when it's rolling weight, aka wheels. Beyond that, extra pounds don't make any more difference on the bike than on your person, so a lock, water, or a beer belly all make the same difference -not much. Am I right here?

  16. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by formicaman View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong(and I usually am), but as far as I know weight really only matters when it's rolling weight, aka wheels. Beyond that, extra pounds don't make any more difference on the bike than on your person, so a lock, water, or a beer belly all make the same difference -not much. Am I right here?
    You are right.

  17. #42
    Senior Member patrickgm60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by formicaman View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong(and I usually am), but as far as I know weight really only matters when it's rolling weight, aka wheels. Beyond that, extra pounds don't make any more difference on the bike than on your person, so a lock, water, or a beer belly all make the same difference -not much. Am I right here?
    Weight matters most on climbs. The steeper the climb, the more advantage a lighter bike/wheels/belly provides. The rolling weight distinction is minor, from what I recall.

  18. #43
    Senior Member formicaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
    Weight matters most on climbs. The steeper the climb, the more advantage a lighter bike/wheels/belly provides. The rolling weight distinction is minor, from what I recall.
    I could stand to lose at least 15 pounds, so I'm not gonna worry that my bike is 29.

  19. #44
    Tour De French Fries Elduderino2412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My Bikes
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin
    Posts
    1,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2013 Camber Comp should only weigh about 29 lbs on the showroom floor

  20. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elduderino2412 View Post
    2013 Camber Comp should only weigh about 29 lbs on the showroom floor
    Its not a comp,its just a camber.Comp is 600.00 more.

  21. #46
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Posts
    4,419
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by formicaman View Post
    I could stand to lose at least 15 pounds, so I'm not gonna worry that my bike is 29.
    Best advice... I tell people why worry about spending all that money to save 2 lbs of weight on a bike... just stop eating junk food and lose a few pounds - cheaper and healthier!
    ______________________________________________________________

    Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

  22. #47
    Tour De French Fries Elduderino2412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My Bikes
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin
    Posts
    1,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zenout View Post
    Its not a comp,its just a camber.Comp is 600.00 more.
    I think those only weigh about 31 lbs. Guessing you weighed it w/pedals and other stuff on their. That isn't all that bad, and average for a intro full suspension 29er

  23. #48
    Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder Zephyr11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between heaven and hell
    My Bikes
    '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone
    Posts
    3,472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elduderino2412 View Post
    I think those only weigh about 31 lbs. Guessing you weighed it w/pedals and other stuff on their. That isn't all that bad, and average for a intro full suspension 29er
    Or he has a bigger size bike than the one you weighed.

  24. #49
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by formicaman View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong(and I usually am), but as far as I know weight really only matters when it's rolling weight, aka wheels. Beyond that, extra pounds don't make any more difference on the bike than on your person, so a lock, water, or a beer belly all make the same difference -not much. Am I right here?
    nope.

    A 230 lb person on a 20 lb bike will always be faster than a 130 lb person on a 120 lb bike.

  25. #50
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Posts
    4,419
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptid01 View Post
    nope.

    A 230 lb person on a 20 lb bike will always be faster than a 130 lb person on a 120 lb bike.
    Was that intended not to make sense?
    ______________________________________________________________

    Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •