Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    giant trance x4 2012 fork upgrade

    i think i found a 140mm fork in my budget that would fit my bike:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Racing-Sho...9&keywords=fox

    its a Fox Racing Shox 32 Float 140 RL
    but i'm not 100% sure it'll match:
    - tapered 1.5 - 1.125 seems good but i discovered a new issue with the Giant's overdrive, on my frame it's written overdrive not overdrive2...is it a problem?are there any adaptors?according to giant's site it seems im ok> http://www.giant-bicycles.com/technology/overdrive/50/
    -about the 9mm QR i think that that's what i got since the default fork(xc32tk) only fits 9mmqr(as written on sram's site)and not 15mm as writen on giant's site(am i wrong?).[i have the simple thin axle.]
    -Axle To Crown isn't mentioned on amazon, should i mind it?
    -is possible that a new uncut fox fork steer tube lenght might be to short by default to fit my bike?
    is the Brake Compatibility: post mount the same in fox as in rockshox or do i need to get an adapter for my brakes?(avid elixir1)
    and is this fork any good at all?
    that's about it for the moment.
    thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,955
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickfree View Post
    i think i found a 140mm fork in my budget that would fit my bike:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Racing-Sho...9&keywords=fox

    its a Fox Racing Shox 32 Float 140 RL
    but i'm not 100% sure it'll match:

    - tapered 1.5 - 1.125 seems good but i discovered a new issue with the Giant's overdrive, on my frame it's written overdrive not overdrive2...is it a problem?are there any adaptors?according to giant's site it seems im ok> http://www.giant-bicycles.com/technology/overdrive/50/
    Overdrive (not Overdrive 2) is a regular tapered steerer tube 1 1/8th top, 1 1/2" bottom , so the Fox will work, your biggest issue will be removing the crown race, if you don't have the tools, it may be a job best left to your LBS (you need a PARK CRP-1, CRP-2 or similar to do it without damage, unless you are very careful)

    Quote Originally Posted by nickfree View Post
    -about the 9mm QR i think that that's what i got since the default fork(xc32tk) only fits 9mmqr(as written on sram's site)and not 15mm as writen on giant's site(am i wrong?).[i have the simple thin axle.]
    Not seeing anything on the Amazon listing about 15mm, the Giant shows as being 9mm http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...specifications for the 2012 version, so your current wheel will fit.

    Quote Originally Posted by nickfree View Post
    -Axle To Crown isn't mentioned on amazon, should i mind it?
    If your interested, some measurements here http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listco...threadid=78006

    Quote Originally Posted by nickfree View Post
    -is possible that a new uncut fox fork steer tube lenght might be to short by default to fit my bike?
    Uncut Fox steerers are long, never measured, but you would need something like a XXXXXXXXXXL frame for steerer tube length to become an issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by nickfree View Post
    is the Brake Compatibility: post mount the same in fox as in rockshox or do i need to get an adapter for my brakes?(avid elixir1)
    Yes, Post Mount is Post Mount, back in the early days of disc brakes, think mid 90's, there were some issues with specs changing and similar names, now everything is either POST (most common) or IS (International Standard, now un-common for forks)

    Quote Originally Posted by nickfree View Post
    and is this fork any good at all?
    Way better than the stock fork, but will show up your rear shock (friend a very similar Giant bike, and swapped the stock Giant Shock for an RP23, and it dramatically improved the bike) For the money, a very good fork at a very good price, shame I'm not in the US, as would consider this.
    Last edited by jimc101; 07-07-13 at 08:48 AM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so from what you're saying it seems like im good to go on this one.
    just a re-verification about the post mount brakes; i saw this picture > http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/I...inal/75477.jpg
    of this >> http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=75477
    as you can see the are many adaptors, i was wondering if i could keep mine or have to find one that would fit the new fork.

    beside that i was thinking of upgrading the rear shock to an rp23 or a Monarch RT3 but for now im ok with the stock shock and my main concern is the fork.

    oh and another qustion: i saw that with rockshox i had to mind this> http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/w-...4149_rev_c.pdf

    is it the same with fox and the fork i mentioned?
    Last edited by nickfree; 07-07-13 at 11:27 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,955
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the brakes, as long as you are sticking with the same rotor, all you will need to do, is to undo the caliper bolts on the current fork, remove, and re-assemble in the same order on the new fork, this is on the basis that you still have the stock TK, and are moving to the Fox, both of which have the same spec Post mount.

    For the setup of the Fox forks, there should be an instruction manual in the box, alternatively, there's an app for that http://www.ridefox.com/content.php?c=app or manuals can be found here http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&ref=topnav

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what i meant wasn't about the fox fork setup, but i saw that when you bought a rockshox fork you could choose the stiffness according to the rider weight and it would have a different color tag on the fork, like grey or yellow or red etc.
    i wanted to know if it was the same with fox and that i was not getting a hard fork since i weight like 65 kg.

    and now for the really noob question: is this the kind of fork i have to put air in with a pump? i guess it is, just making sure before purchase.
    thanks again.
    Last edited by nickfree; 07-07-13 at 04:13 PM.

  6. #6
    Two-Wheeled Aficionado ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wichita
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Blur, CX bike, roadie, & others
    Posts
    4,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim has some awesome replies there, but unfortunately I did see one error.

    Post mount isn't post mount. There are some older/low-end brake calipers and forks that still use 51mm post. All new/good stuff should be 74mm.

    However, even in 74mm post mount, there are straight and angled post. Look at a Fox fork compared to Manitou for a comparison of 74mm straight (Fox) and angled (Manitou). It isn't a big deal, as long as you use the right brackets for the right caliper for the right rotor size on your fork.

  7. #7
    Two-Wheeled Aficionado ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wichita
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Blur, CX bike, roadie, & others
    Posts
    4,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickfree View Post
    what i meant wasn't about the fox fork setup, but i saw that when you bought a rockshox fork you could choose the stiffness according to the rider weight and it would have a different color tag on the fork, like grey or yellow or red etc.
    i wanted to know if it was the same with fox and that i was not getting a hard fork since i weight like 65 kg.

    and now for the really noob question: is this the kind of fork i have to put air in with a pump? i guess it is, just making sure before purchase.
    thanks again.
    Yes. If your fork doesn't come with a shock pump, which it probably won't, you need to buy one. I use a Topeak DXG.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    However, even in 74mm post mount, there are straight and angled post. Look at a Fox fork compared to Manitou for a comparison of 74mm straight (Fox) and angled (Manitou). It isn't a big deal, as long as you use the right brackets for the right caliper for the right rotor size on your fork.
    so what do you think, if i move all the braking system as it is now on my rockshox fork ,will it be an easy transfer to that fox fork i mentioned? or i might have to look for a fitting Post mount adapter?(which doesn't seem to be a big issue , just a bit of a hassle).
    or any other issues i'm not aware of?
    according to this >> http://www.sram.com/avid/products/el...lic-disc-brake
    and this >> http://www.kalnai.at/technik/pdf/son...fit%20info.pdf
    it looks like im ok with the 160mm rotor size

  9. #9
    Two-Wheeled Aficionado ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wichita
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Blur, CX bike, roadie, & others
    Posts
    4,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That pdf you have linked to is old. I assure you that Rockshox 2013 model forks have post mounts, not IS, at least when talking about any fork I would buy (Sektor or Recon or better).

    Buy the fork you want. Call a shop you trust, or the brake caliper manufacturer, and tell them what your fork has. (Probably straight or angled 74mm post mount.) Tell them your rotor size.

    Then they'll tell you the right adapter to use. Done.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,955
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickfree View Post
    it looks like im ok with the 160mm rotor size
    So are you changing the rotors from stock? The 2012 model of your bike has a 180mm rotor front.

    As noted above, it's just a simple swap of the caliper/adapter from your old forks, to your proposed new one, there is no difference in spec, as noted, there used to be (if you don't mention this on BF, someone will call you on it), but this is an issue for forks of 10+ years old and of certain manufactures, virtually all modern suspension forks (Rock Shox, Fox, Manitou, Marzocchi etc) are Post mount, and the Post mount is a fixed standard, it it fits one, it fits all. There may be some fork which are limited on rotor size, but this only comes into play for rotors above 180mm, so not an issue in your case

    From looking through the posts, your over thinking the fork swap requirements, what you have will fit the Fox, no additional adapters needed if you are sticking with what you currently have, and if the info you have previously given is correct.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks man
    i got straight to the point clear answers.
    I'm already checking for shipping options.
    ...
    Last edited by nickfree; 07-10-13 at 02:49 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •