Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    My Bikes
    2006 Trek 1000sl, 1988 Fuji Sagres, 2010 Schwinn Varsity, Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Brake rotors choices

    I am buying new rotors and was wondering what is the deal with the rotors with hardly any steel there? Some are pretty solid with just holes then some are like nothing left. I am getting 203mm and don't do downhill stuff so heat is not a huge deal for me but want alot of stopping power. Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member thehammerdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    Road bike is a Bianchi C2C, Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & 1980's Grandis
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there after mrket options s one could Upgrade to lighter rotors?? Or are most the same? Mine sux

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    England, Great Britain
    My Bikes
    Tarmac/LangsterPro/Epic
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More holes/cutouts = more surface area for cooling, the greater amount of air that gets to the disc, means more air to cool them.
    (Shimano had an 'ice' system where they had an aluminium core for heat dissipation).

    I guess there's also the whole 'weight' thing, but I guess that's not a concern if you're after 203mm.
    Epic/Tarmac/Langster Pro

  4. #4
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew. View Post
    More holes/cutouts = more surface area for cooling, the greater amount of air that gets to the disc, means more air to cool them.
    Fewer holes/cutouts usually = greater thermal mass which allows the rotor to absorb more heat before overcooking.

    Choose wisely.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    My Bikes
    2013 GT Karakoram 3.0 29er Hardtail
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thehammerdog View Post
    is there after mrket options s one could Upgrade to lighter rotors?? Or are most the same? Mine sux
    Why do you say yours suck? What is the difference between different designs?
    Dammit, user name is to short, I wanted to use the same user name I use on other sites.
    Good wine still isn't beer.

  6. #6
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never actually put much thought into it, but in my experience performance is mostly isolated to the braking system and not necessarily in the rotors. I'm assuming the 203 is on the front. That's plenty of stopping power so just about any style of rotor will do. For the purposes of aesthetics I generally try and match the front and back, but that's just being picky.
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    My Bikes
    2013 GT Karakoram 3.0 29er Hardtail
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandrada View Post
    I have never actually put much thought into it, but in my experience performance is mostly isolated to the braking system and not necessarily in the rotors. I'm assuming the 203 is on the front. That's plenty of stopping power so just about any style of rotor will do. For the purposes of aesthetics I generally try and match the front and back, but that's just being picky.
    Yea? I like the look of the bigger rotor on the front, form following function I guess, I do like having a 180 up front and a 160 back there, Makes the brakes feel more even.
    Dammit, user name is to short, I wanted to use the same user name I use on other sites.
    Good wine still isn't beer.

  8. #8
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by floating dutchy View Post
    Yea? I like the look of the bigger rotor on the front, form following function I guess, I do like having a 180 up front and a 160 back there, Makes the brakes feel more even.
    Don't misunderstand, dutch. I'm sure there are rotors that are aesthetically pleasing, and yet their performance is sub-par. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never actually run into such a scenario. Probably because skulls and bones aren't really that appealing to me. haha! For instance, I just purchased some Hope rotors (203F/183R) and while they are quite impressive to look at, their performance is also top notch. Granted they are on a trail bike, and like you I'm not too concerned with them overheating. It's a good conversation, anyway. Now that I'm wondering about it, it's very possible that the composition of the rotor is of significant importance.
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

  9. #9
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    35,758
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got money to throw at it .. ceramic- carbon fiber discs with their own special pads are out there.

    at a more modest cost the aluminum cores are a heat-sink for the steel disc

    rather than cooking your hydraulic fluid.

    lighter? Titanium .. there is a steel aluminum sandwich too..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 12-19-13 at 12:15 AM.

  10. #10
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    got money to throw at it .. ceramic- carbon fiber discs with their own special pads are out there.

    at a more modest cost the aluminum cores are a heat-sink for the steel disc rather than cooking your hydraulic fluid.
    I don't think heat is an issue. Are there materials that have better friction capabilities, which allow manufacturers to be more creative with the design? I have a pair of XT rotors that have have the aluminum spider. I can't say I've ever seen a marked improvement in performance. Although they work really well, and are easy to true. Again, overheating is rarely an issue. Of course, some other added benefits are that they look pretty cool, and are noticeable lighter.
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

  11. #11
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    35,758
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Avid G2 discs 4 hole Rohloff rear 6 hole with a centerlock adapter in front BB7 mechanicals

    160 front and rear in 20" wheels in my bike friday ... mine work fine but my needs are not yours

    and I cannot test ride your bike to judge for myself , so this is mostly Idle chit chat..

    cheers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •